Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Keybinding problem

I have an assassin tank and I'm rapidly running out of 'convinient' keybinds.
    I have the following abilities:
    - base attack
    - slightly stronger attack with force cost
    - Shock
    - Lightning
    - Execute
    - AoE attack 1
    - AoE attack 2
    - AoE attack 3
    - Taunt
    - Mass Taunt
    - Death Grip
    - Spike
    - Stun
    - knockback
    - interrupt
    - sprint

(dont remember all the names, but thats what they boil down too)
    I dont have problems with that

Then comes:
    Adrenal
    Relic 1
    Relic 2
    Defensive CD 1 (remove debuffs)
    Defensive CD 2 (increase defense)
    Defensive CD 3 (clear stun)
    Defensive CD 4 (increase shield chance)
    Offensive CD 1

The annoying thing is then whenever I want to do Shock I want to activate all offensive abilities/adrenals/relics that can be activated, but there is no macro option as far as I can see.

How do you manage them? (I'm lvl 42, so there is one or two more to come I suspect and I probably forgot one or two)

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know assassins, but each class has a few abilities that you can weed out. You can remove sprint from your bars at least. Once active, it no long deactivates like it used to.

For the most part, I keep my base abilities on my bottom bars. I put things like buffs, adrenals, and longer cooldowns on a side bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe when he says Spring he refers to Force Speed.

No easy way around it though. Personally, as someone who has been a pre-dominate clicker for the past decade of online gaming, I've just started to work on keybinds. I'm up to about 16 I am using comfortably now on my Assassin. One thing to try would be to use the Modifier keys such as ALT or CTRL or SHIFT. Alternatively you can try using one of the mice that has more than 2 buttons on it, and start binding those.
    Last edited by WarpedAcorn; 2012-02-24 at 02:07 PM.

Sry, I meant force sprint (or whatever it is), the activateable ability that increases movespeed by 150%.

Permanent buffs are not bound, but clicking defensive CDs is so slow, expecially when you run around and target switch so much as a tank (in my experience). Same with adrenals really :/ but thats how I handle it at the moment as well. I dont have the problems with DPS classes, things like taunt, personal mobility and many defensive CDs become a lot less critical.

I rarely use alt, it feels wierd. Shift is used quite a bit as well as the 3 additional mouse buttons. Will try to get accustomed to ctrl it seems and shift mouse buttons :/ Is there any word on whether and when they would add macros?
    Last edited by Knuffelbert; 2012-02-24 at 02:20 PM.

I use a G-13 game pad and a Naga mouse, this can give you 32 keybinds, I have my Game changers on the Naga in case I want to eat a sandwich while fighting, on my G-13 I have some duplicate keybinds my mainly for my Marauder so I can move fluidly without thumb pressing. I have every skill keybound in some fashion with this setup. I use every skill I have at some point.

A melee clicker just cant be done here from my experience, Ranged yes, I have friends that click but a Naga/Steele series Cata mouse and a G-13 make life soooooooooooo good
    Last edited by Miah; 2012-02-24 at 02:15 PM.

I play a jedi shadow tank (sith inq tank), and i keep keybinds like this:

1 to 0 (including -=) are the most regular used spells.
    Shift + 1 to 0 are proc spells or short cooldown spells that are sometimes used.
    Buttons around WSAD (like F,G,T,Q...) are commonly used short cooldowns.
    The action bars on the LEFT are long cooldowns and such.
    The action bars on the RIGHT are buffs, stances, things you cast once every 30 minutes or even longer.

Deleted
    § 1 2 3 4 5 TAB R T F G < Z X C V - this gives you 16 keys, 15 if you absolutely have to stick with using TAB for targeting. § is the key left of 1. Switch reply to Y, character screen to O.

Shift + § 1 2 3 4 5 TAB R T F G < Z X C V - this will give you another 16 keys, for a total of 32. Not all of these are equally comfortable.

Shift + W S A D SPACE - these are key combinations many won't come to think of (Shift+Space is friggin' awesome), since W S A D are used for movement and space for jumping.

Possibly Q E if you don't want to save those for turning, that'll give you two more keys, four with shift.

Alt + any of the above for up to 22 extra keys.

Ctrl + any of the above for up to 22 extra keys.

Depending on how long your fingers are, F1-F4 are relatively nice (I don't know anyone who uses the F-keys to select party members), which you can then combine with Shift or even Ctrl/Alt (just not Alt-F4, for obvious reasons ).

That should give you quite a few very comfortable and fast "combat" keybinds.

Keys that I personally don't consider comfortable combat keybinds, and as such leave for character screens and such, or situational skills: 6-0 and rest of that row to the right, F5-F12, Y and the rest of that row to the right, H and the rest of that row to the right, B and the rest of that row to the right. These leave a plethora of keys for all the different tabs and bags and stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-02-24 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I play a jedi shadow tank (sith inq tank), and i keep keybinds like this:

1 to 0 (including -=) are the most regular used spells.
    Shift + 1 to 0 are proc spells or short cooldown spells that are sometimes used.
    Buttons around WSAD (like F,G,T,Q...) are commonly used short cooldowns.
    The action bars on the LEFT are long cooldowns and such.
    The action bars on the RIGHT are buffs, stances, things you cast once every 30 minutes or even longer.
    How do you press 7-= while keeping your hand on WASD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are the keybinds, and I use them FOR all of the MMO's I play:

Top row, which includes cooldowns and some mass abilities:

Q, E, T, Z, X, V, G, F, Shift-C, Shift-T, Shift-R

Bottom row, which is all of my abilities

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Shift-1, Shift-2, Shift-3, Shift-4, Shift-5, Shift-E, Shift-Q

So basically my 5 main abilities that I use all the time go through 1-5. The situational ones are Shift-1-5, and cooldowns are shift-E, Shift-Q, and Shift-C. The upper row consists of cooldowns and openers, with Q and E being opening attacks. F is always my interrupt for all toons.

Hope that helps. That provides 24 easy-to-reach keybinds. Anything after that point should just be clicked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuffelbert View Post
    How do you press 7-= while keeping your hand on WASD?
    Practice? Personally i can go to 0 without letting go of WSAD
    Been playing like that since my first RPG encounter.

Beside, those spells would be the less used of the common ones - so it is not something you need to do every 15 seconds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Personally i can go to 0 without letting go of WSAD
    I was trying this out and seeing as though D is used with your index finger, you have to use your thumb to push 0 if you're going to use D at the same time with your index finger.

Either way, if you do the above, or if you use your index finger to push 0 whilst still pushing A or W/S with your ring finger or middle finger, then I have to hand it to you; your keyboard is very small or you've got either giant hands or extremely flexible fingers. I've got huge hands and I can't reach it without gritting my teeth.

I always turn with my mouse so I unbind A and D and use those. I still use WSQE though. I've tried moving QE to AD but I just can't get used to it, may be better for some people though.

I too am a Tankassin, gonna try to remember how I have it set-up, I'm at work though.

1 = Basic Melee
    2 = Wither
    3 = Discharge
    4 = Crushing Darkness
    5 = Assassinate
    6 = Something is here I am sure, though I cannot remember what
    7 = Health Pot

R = Shock
    T = Force Lightning
    Y = That buff to Force Lightning, can't remember the name

F = Taunt
    G = Deat...er..Force Grip
    H = Area Taunt
    J = Overload, that's what the knockback is called right?
    K = Blackout
    ; = Mount

A = Interrupt
    D = Thrash
    Z = Spike
    X = Electrocute

U = The remove removable harmful effects thingie
    I = Vanish
    O = Stealth
    P = Force Speed(I know, weird spot)
    [ = Sap..Mind Trap, whatever that CC is called

F1-F4 Defensive CDs and Trin...Relics.

Top Bar is bound to 1-=
    Bottom is A, D, Z, X, R-[
    Right bar has F1-F4 and F-'
    Left bar has Fleet pass, Quick Travel, Class Buff, Guard, Stances and is clicked only. I cannot stand Shift+ Ctrl+ keybinds

Any menu functions that you lose can either be clicked on the menu or moved to somewhere C-/. C and V may be useful as well though and I have thought about moving a couple things there, can't decide what though.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-02-24 at 03:15 PM.

Movement is complete mouse drivin if using a G-13 you use the thumb joystick as strafe/back and I Use the forward Joystick as my Main ability like the Marauders force jump. All movement becomes second nature and allows for the G-13 to be loaded up with Keybinds, I mainly use the bottom 2 rows for combat (1-10) and the top buttons for " Oh Chit!" buttons

I used to use a Belkin N52e ( Razer nostromo now) http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...ctID.221675100 but found it too small and clunky, my wife loves it, the G-13 is so much more comfortable for me with larger hands and the joy stick is smooth and fluid as can be http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming...s/devices/5123

On either you have a well placed Tab ( mine left of joystick) Spacebar ( below Joystick) so total control and targeting just becomes so smooth and second natured, this may be why I see no problem or Bugs or glitchy movement some here complain about, My character moves as good if not better than any MMO I have ever played.

The dirty deeds are done with either a Cata steel series Mouse or a Razer Naga, This is where I bind my CC, and major things that are game breaking, the hard to click buttons are bound to my stims and relics since they have the longer cooldowns. I never touch a keyboard except to type RIGHT, or Kill ( insert name
    ) Sorc!

10+ Year Old Account
    mines are q 1 2 3 4 e (normal, shift & alt) plus 5 buttons on mouse with shift and alt too
    and with that i get enough, and doint move my hand from wasd

Personally, I move wasd into esdf so that my left hand sits naturally over the keyboard.
    I then change "tab target" and hotkey it to a.
    Doing so makes it much easier to use shift and ctrl with my pinky.
    Using shift/ctrl/alt -wertsdfgxcvb gives me more than enough hotkeys for any of my toons.

Friend and I recently rerolled to The Fatman to gank and whatnot. I rolled an assassin and he rolled an op.

After reading that you need 20+ keybinds...

I have carpal tunnel just thinking about it

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    What I've done (and will take some getting use to) is moving WASD to ESDF.

Before with EQZXCVFR +shift counterparts thats 16 keybinds (I use a trackball so 2 buttons + modifiers there too)

I use some alt but ctrl is too much moment for my tastes.

Moving to ESDF, with little movement I know have rwqazxcvbgt + shift thats 22 keybkinds. Gives me a total of 26 and I've yet to touch 1-6 (I use an ergonomic keyboard so its split).

Deleted
    The following is just my own musings about "tab targeting", a bit off the topic, but a view on why I use TAB as a combat button and not to target.

I personally ditched "tab targeting" during my first days of WoW beta back in 2004, and have used mouse targeting ever since.

If you want to switch to a particular target within 100 milliseconds then you absolutely must choose it with your mouse if there are any more than two potential targets in range. If you "tab target", you have to scroll through a list of targets until you find the correct one, each push of TAB beyond the first making it slower than mouse targeting, and if you go beyond your target by accident, then you'll have to have a separate "last target" binding for that, or you'll need to scroll through the entire list of targets again. Either way it takes crucial milliseconds from your actions.

Then when tanking packs of 4-6 targets, usually the idea is to hit all of them enough so healers or AoE don't take aggro, and often your own AoE abilities don't do anywhere near enough threat to manage this, especially back in early WoW, and now in SW:TOR. If you have any idea which targets you need to be hitting - those you're low on threat, or those escaping your grasp and heading towards a healer/DPS - you'll want to be grabbing them instantly, not two seconds later.

On battlegrounds / warzones with half a dozen to 40 potential targets you need to be choosing from, using tab targeting is just useless and you'll die in the time it takes you to scroll to that one guy blasting you with that oneshot nuke you need to be countering right now and not in two seconds.

Especially since in WoW every spell I use has a mouseover macro (mouseover counters and CC are imperative), and now that SW:TOR doesn't support any sort of mouseover attacking, choosing targets becomes a must.

Mind you, I'm not telling anyone else to ditch tab targeting, not at all. These are just my own feelings and experiences about it, coming from competitive FPS where milliseconds matter and mouse targeting is the only targeting. If you're comfortable with tab targeting then you should continue using that, of course.

Also, I do have "tab targeting" bound. It's just not bound to TAB, since it's a waste of a perfect combat button due to me not using it very often. I bind it to Shift+S for situations where my targets are behind walls and I can't touch their nameplates to target them with the mouse (especially since in SW:TOR nameplates don't exist). So even for me it does have it's niche.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-02-24 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy a Naga, never look back.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://i44.tinypic.com/5ff12c.jpg

^ my keybinds as a PvE healer.

1-5: heals
    6, tilde, letters: utility and Saber Strike
    F1-F4, shift modifier: damage and buff cooldowns, Whirlwind, and Speed
    Mouse buttons (I have a Death Adder instead of a Naga, since I'm broke): interrupt and speeder

I have 29 binds total.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman