10+ Year Old Account

Muddied Racial Presence

Anyone else feel like your given race is losing its identity? Beyond the starting zones and capital cities, it just doesn't really feel like any one race is really leaving their mark on the world.

I agree and It's a shame, I find theres less and less immersion into the game lore

Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    I agree and It's a shame, I find theres less and less immersion into the game lore
    I would whole-heartedly disagree. Blizzard has outdone itself with the story in Cataclysm's questing (and rading, especially in DS. That's a VERY story-oriented raid, though I won't get into that on account of the massive levels of whining that beseige these forums on the subject). It's a lot more apparent and engaging than ever before, which leads to better immersion.

In vanilla, Silverpine was just cleaning up some Worgen and some Magi. It was more of a shopping list from Sylvanas, and you were to get all the ingredients for her super happy dinner party. Bad analogy, but the point is there wasn't much story tied into what you were doing.

In Cataclysm, you're actually engaged with the cleaning up of the Worgen and the Magi because there are story elements in the quests which are much more prevalent. I was much more in-tune with my character, much more immersed in the game and the lore, in the newer questlines than in the older ones, where I was more engrossed in the scenery, rather than the story. And cataclysm makes the visuals even better with interesting spell effects in the mage camp, the same scenery but updated. Cataclysm really delivered on immersion. The reason you're feeling like this is probably because, like me, you've been playing for a long time. Potential nostalgia, or even simply just getting tired of it.

To be on topic, I'm actually in a lore podcast and... I'd say several times we discuss this and how we want the races to really have more of a point than just what your character looks like and some minor abilities in Mists of Pandaria. Considering the story is supposed to shift more towards the war between the Horde and the Alliance, I would say that it is fairly likely that we will get some reinforcement as to why our favorite races are with the factions they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    I would whole-heartedly disagree. Blizzard has outdone itself with the story in Cataclysm's questing (and rading, especially in DS. That's a VERY story-oriented raid, though I won't get into that on account of the massive levels of whining that beseige these forums on the subject). It's a lot more apparent and engaging than ever before, which leads to better immersion.

In vanilla, Silverpine was just cleaning up some Worgen and some Magi. It was more of a shopping list from Sylvanas, and you were to get all the ingredients for her super happy dinner party. Bad analogy, but the point is there wasn't much story tied into what you were doing.

In Cataclysm, you're actually engaged with the cleaning up of the Worgen and the Magi because there are story elements in the quests which are much more prevalent. I was much more in-tune with my character, much more immersed in the game and the lore, in the newer questlines than in the older ones, where I was more engrossed in the scenery, rather than the story. And cataclysm makes the visuals even better with interesting spell effects in the mage camp, the same scenery but updated. Cataclysm really delivered on immersion. The reason you're feeling like this is probably because, like me, you've been playing for a long time. Potential nostalgia, or even simply just getting tired of it.

To be on topic, I'm actually in a lore podcast and... I'd say several times we discuss this and how we want the races to really have more of a point than just what your character looks like and some minor abilities in Mists of Pandaria. Considering the story is supposed to shift more towards the war between the Horde and the Alliance, I would say that it is fairly likely that we will get some reinforcement as to why our favorite races are with the factions they are.
    It's the opposite for me actually, before when I slew these worgens and magi i felt much more in game story than now with Sylvanas showing here and then etc. Probably it made more sense, why whould i get to meet the queen at level 10? Not sure but that just how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    It's the opposite for me actually, before when I slew these worgens and magi i felt much more in game story than now with Sylvanas showing here and then etc. Probably it made more sense, why whould i get to meet the queen at level 10? Not sure but that just how I feel about it.
    You met her at level 10 back in classic anyway when you went into the Undercity for the first time :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post

Like I said BEYOND the starting zones, I would still consider silverpine, even hillsbrad starting zones.

Not only that, but I had an 80 of every class going into cataclysm. Was I really expected to go through and re level to play through the revamped zones?

I played through the undead and worgen because the story was fantastic and tied into the comics. I continued to play through hillsbrad after that, and the story quickly falls apart and becomes less engaging, and identity is lost. Identity is almost non existent by the time you start the 80-85 quests.

I was going to respond to this thinking it was in reference to real world cultures etc. But I scrolled through to check that no one would be opposing my "somewhat radical" view on ethnic diluting. Thankfully I found out it was about WoW so I was saved.

I mean, I see less and less of my tauren culture in the zones now, the horde outposts are all about that new black metal war-look. I like it, but I will always prefer the orc/tauren/troll tribal scheme they had going in all their outposts. Old karagar (thats the one in the badlands iirc) as a perfect example of how imo, horde architecture should be.

I think that the immersion is much better now. You leave your mark on the world. Once you beat the X in the Y place, Y gets phased after your decisions. If you put out a fire, the harvest is saved and all that. I find this awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Like I said BEYOND the starting zones, I would still consider silverpine, even hillsbrad starting zones.

Not only that, but I had an 80 of every class going into cataclysm. Was I really expected to go through and re level to play through the revamped zones?

I played through the undead and worgen because the story was fantastic and tied into the comics. I continued to play through hillsbrad after that, and the story quickly falls apart and becomes less engaging, and identity is lost. Identity is almost non existent by the time you start the 80-85 quests.
    I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the guy who said that WoW's story was less immersive than it was in the past. I actually agree with you in terms of racial presence and identity, as I state in my last paragraph
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2012-02-27 at 12:07 AM. Reason: double posts are weird

:/ Blood Elves and Draenei. Stuck in BC since '06-'07 :/

We need an update (blood elves). Lor'themar for Sun King '12. I'd explain more, but I'm on my iPod, so I'll do that later.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post

Frankly? Yes. At least if you're as interested in the story as you claim to be. The revamped 1-60 zones were one of the biggest features of cata and in my opinion the best of them all. Some of the quest design and the story behind it is pure genius and I strongly suggest you go experience it. Either with a lvl 85 or a fresh lvl 1.

Most races have a lot of specific quests and lore up untill lvl 40.

Once you reach 40 you slowly become less and less race <x> and more and more Horde or Alliance.
    With the exception of Orcs and Humans being put more in the spotlight than other races.

Horde side:
    In the beginning of Outlands it's the orcs vs the felorcs and it later turns into Blood elves vs Blood elves

Northrend starts out as either Forsaken or Orc and ends rather human lead due to Tirion and Darion.

Cata is again Orcs but this time their partners are Tauren only this time the orcs stay the leading race throughout the zones.

This is of course ignoring the neutral zones that are about classes rather than races and the odd few side stories and zones for other races.
    Even though Trolls get mentioned every time; ZG in Vanilla, ZA in TBC, Zul'drak in WOTLK and remade ZG and ZA in Cata they really feel like less important side stories that don't really matter at the end of the day.
    Same could be said for most other races really.

So unless you're Orc or Human you don't keep feeling like you're playing your race after a certain point in the game.

I won't say if it's a good or a bad thing that the game forces you to feel more like a member of the Horde or Alliance because at the end of the day that's all personal preference anyway.

The way I see Blizzard going about Night Elves, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go extinct in one of the expansions. They aren't immortal anymore and now that the Aspects aren't Aspects anymore, I highly doubt they'll be able to get the blessings necessary to become immortal again. They don't seem to breed, and in Cataclysm they just took continuous losses in Auberdine and Ashenvale.

They just don't have a significant presence, beyond Hyjal you really don't see that much concerning them in Cataclysm. Which is bizarre considering they're a race supposedly formed by the Well of Eternity and is demonstrated as quite powerful.

Trolls on the other hand are just WAY too prevalent in Azeroth. There is a ridiculous amount of trolls, and troll subspecies, its really just annoying. They were everywhere in Vanilla, a new subspecies popped up in TBC, Northrend was just coated in the bastards and in Cata they actually showed greater numeracy than before the great worldwide disaster. I really think Blizzard needs to direct its attention to other races as personall I feel that Night Elves, Draenei and Blood Elves are dwindling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skabbo View Post
    The way I see Blizzard going about Night Elves, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go extinct in one of the expansions. They don't seem to breed
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=3892

Teenager Nelf. :O
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I'm not sure thats what classifies as a teenager, she could be a few hundred years old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skabbo View Post
    I'm not sure thats what classifies as a teenager, she could be a few hundred years old.
    Still, she's called a child, meaning breeding happens.
    Cause thats what we're talking about!

Nightelf.

Brrrrreeding.

I feel kinda filthy, but I'm willing to endure the discussion. For SCIENCE.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Heheh, still. Night Elves aren't lookin too good at the moment. They're just getting absolutely slaughtered, everywhere.