Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    I'd like to see a citation for the 'less than' part.

Anyways, let's get back on track. No game vs. game here.
    Well last quarter (the quarter ending 12/31/11) it was more than. Anything beyond that statement would have to be conjecture, though it has been two months since then.

But my personal conjecture is that the subs are dropping. SWTOR is still fresh out of the launching tube, and that quarterly report was given when people still had a free subscription. Plenty of people publicly admitted they were not planning to continue paying for the game when their free subscription ran out.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Eh, didn't sign up, I haven't really been following the game like others have and I'd kind of feel guilty winning a beta key, because I know I wouldn't be nice enough to give it away.

This is not the SWToR forum, stop bringing it up. Seriously guys, don't bring the game vs. game argument into this forum, it has no place here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I agree. I just hope the people who get in aren't like 13 years old. I hope whoever gets in actually TESTS the game instead of just signing up to play it early.
    That is testing the game.. playing it. I am going to do as many dynamic events as I can and report any bugs, same with personal story if I have time.. that's if I get in of course, getting to play early should be incentive to sign up for beta but reporting bugs is your responsibility.

That said, I think it would be retarded if they didn't limit the beta apps to 1 email per IP, I mean.. if I thought it was set up any other way than that I would have signed up with 50 trash emails. I sure hope this isn't the case. I'm sure ANet is smarter than this, though I have seen them make some really stupid mistakes in my time during GW1 lol

10+ Year Old Account
    They DID happen to ask for your age when you signed up. *shrugs*
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It's impressive for a beta to an unreleased game. Honestly, what's the point in coming here and saying this game doesn't seem interesting? Have you actually done your research?
    because he has nothing to whine about, or panda threads got a bit boring?
    Thats my guess

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been watching this game for about 2 years now really hope I get accepted!

Just want to remind people, BETA is for TESTING, not boasting.

BETA, specially one under NDA is not a promo demo.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Yes! Beta, now lets just hope they have as many NDA breakers as SWTOR did. I CANT WAIT TO WATCH SOME VIDEOS.

Let's just hope the players don't suck complete balls.
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    What sense would it make to put an NDA on the upcoming beta phase if the gates are already open? It would just be stupid.
    At this point, everything should start flowing naturally, live feeds should be available, the game should start advertising itself, and ANet should have their marketing team already working on a commercial that'll be televised soon.
    If you were selling a product with millions of dollars of investment in it, would you really want your product to be advertised by the average guy you see in an MMO general chat? The point of limiting early coverage to press is to have the first presentations of the game somewhat guaranteed to have professional video quality, clean voiceovers and such stuff.

No doubt many people in the beta could present the game well in a video, but really, with that many signups you can't control who gets in the beta and what they want to prevent is having any portion of the early coverage of their game done by teenage gamer geeks with a taste for anal jokes.

I signed up, but not going to go all emotional if not selected. I believe in the game and signed up for the chance of helping to improve the game before release. Not to play it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Just read today about DAoC and it seems really failed. They managed to grab 100k and now they have less then 5k players. I wouldn't want GW2 to be that unsuccessful. Only amazing player on this field is wow, and success/unsuccess is measured by how close another MMO to it. Honestly I didnt even know those games you named existed, and personaly I couldn't really care less about them.
    Those games were the generation of MMO's that preceded wow, in some cases by 5-6 years. The market as a whole was a tiny fraction of the size it is now. Haveing 400k subs back then is more equivalent of having 4-6 mil+ these days in terms of total market share. The market inflated tremendously when wow released. And it wasnt just wow that did it it was the times. by the time wow came out decent computers and internet conections were becomeing the norm. Back in 2000 when those games came out 56k modems were the hot new tech and only businesses, collages and extreme enthusiasts had broadband.

Who is John Galt?

Well i signed up on every computer i could find! Lost count how many that was must be 20+ sign ups now all with different e-mails from my custom .co.uk domain A@?.co.uk B@?.co.uk etc etc all link to same account just redirects

Fingers crossed heh, i bet i still wont get into beta never any luck Normally they just invite people from the US and forget the EU to last... most likely due to stupid EU laws slowing crap down but meh i can hope right?

As for the "if will fail" comments here.. just shut up if you dont like the game dont play it, dont comment about it and have nothing to do with it! GW:1 was not even a mmo and it had like 5M players back in the day! (i think at one point during the start of BC it had more players than wow actually) But yeah i dont care if this fails or not it most likely wont due to F2P. I have about 15 friends who will play it with me and thats all i need
    Last edited by Domiku; 2012-02-25 at 10:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Just read today about DAoC and it seems really failed. They managed to grab 100k and now they have less then 5k players. I wouldn't want GW2 to be that unsuccessful. Only amazing player on this field is wow, and success/unsuccess is measured by how close another MMO to it. Honestly I didnt even know those games you named existed, and personaly I couldn't really care less about them.
    I think another reason why hardly anyone has heard of DAoC, AC1, UO and all the other 1st gen MMOs is because back during those times the genre was very unpopular. The mentality of the gaming community back then towards paying a monthly subscription for a game was expensive or impratical. And the basic mechanics of not just endgame but even leveling and crafting was way too grindy, complex and took way too long which made MMO games very unattractive, and this is the reason why WoW became SOOO successful is because it tuned down those elements to the masses; not to mention it also had the "Blizzard" tag behind it and their 1st MMo, 2 of the main things that caught alot of press.
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-02-25 at 10:26 AM.

Wouldn't it be great if they annonced today or the day after that the next beta event will start one week later on this first weekend of March? what do you think

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    There is a difference between willingness to buy and willingness to get to play beta for free.
    They actually had their figures wrong, it was 2 years to get 2 million to sign up for beta. They never had 2 million pre-orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    just shut up if you dont like the game dont play it, dont comment about it and have nothing to do with it!
    As someone whose really excited about GW2, I have to say, this is the stupidest thing you could ever think.
    You want people to bring up possible flaws and be critical, so that the problems can be fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    As someone whose really excited about GW2, I have to say, this is the stupidest thing you could ever think.
    You want people to bring up possible flaws and be critical, so that the problems can be fixed!
    Yes, but there is a difference between posting constructively about game flaws, and coming into a thread just to spread negativity.

Deleted
    Sweet mother of...

....bye bye chaaanceeesss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I agree. I just hope the people who get in aren't like 13 years old. I hope whoever gets in actually TESTS the game instead of just signing up to play it early.
    I heard they were looking for 18+ with decent computers
    And I think actually this game will attract alot of people not just because the game looks brilliant, but because it's an mmo that ships with no monthly fees. This will make people hesitate less before getting into the game I'm sure
    Last edited by mmocf128060ac7; 2012-02-25 at 01:39 PM.