Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I can't recall the source, but I was told earlier today by someone reading an article on this upcoming test that they're looking for "tens of thousands" in order to assist testing WvWvW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post
    Wonder when they'll start sending out the invites, maybe next week already?
    they said that the beta will be march/april, so earliest next weekend, 2nd march

---------- Post added 2012-02-24 at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    I can't recall the source, but I was told earlier today by someone reading an article on this upcoming test that they're looking for "tens of thousands" in order to assist testing WvWvW.
    even if they pick 50k people in the beta, the chances are small

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When will we know if we got in or not?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    When will we know if we got in or not?
    No one knows at this point. Just keep an eye on the GW2 Twitter and Facebook.

yea its def not 1 million people unless they have a way to ID the system you signed up with and link it to the email addresses used. Cuz i signed up 3 times.

As an aside, here's the link to the live counter (though I get the background, I'm not seeing numbers - but this alternates with "Bad gateway" errors, so I suspect high load may be playing havoc with things):

https://public.ducksboard.com/vSPhlMJ1Yi3abkD7PtHM/

I wouldn't be surprised. People have been waiting for this game forever. Matter of fact some people have only been playing other MMOs while they waited for this one.

Great news, the morale at a.net must be buzzing with positive vibes. Here's to hoping the people that get in, give proper input and do their jobs properly as beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    yea its def not 1 million people unless they have a way to ID the system you signed up with and link it to the email addresses used. Cuz i signed up 3 times.
    Still shows how excited people are about the game if some bothered to sign up from different computers no?

Quote Originally Posted by Toroc View Post
    Matter of fact some people have only been playing other MMOs while they waited for this one.
    That'd be me, in between stints in GW1 to build up some HoM points

Live stream of the beta signups http://www.guildwars2live.com/. The Ducksboard is dead

While it is sad to see my chances of actually getting into the beta decline, it is amazing to see those kinds of numbers in only 48 hours. I cannot wait to see what the units sold # is after a year. Hopefully they are able to get the big fixes done well and release while hype stays up. However, it seems like there is just more and more hype each time they make any sort of announcement. If they wait to announce when the release is until a month before it will probably skyrocket again.
    Last edited by fishious; 2012-02-24 at 06:39 PM.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

I love the fact that SWTOR took 3 years to get 2 million people to sign up for beta, and GW2 gets half that in 2 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I'm fairly confident they'll have at least some form of IP tracking surely, but perhaps it won't do anything for those that signed up from different computers n everything "I'll never get into beta with that many people. :S I really hope signing up on 30 different computers was enough though. " like that guy <--- lol. Who knows either way I can't wait for this game...take-a ma friggin moneh already!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fishious View Post
    While it is sad to see my chances of actually getting into the beta decline, it is amazing to see those kinds of numbers in only 48 hours. I cannot wait to see what the units sold # is after a year. Hopefully they are able to get the big fixes done well and release while hype stays up. However, it seems like there is just more and more hype each time they make any sort of announcement. If they wait to announce when the release is until a month before it will probably skyrocket again.
    Yes, i believe GW2 will have more than TOR, BUT.. i see any game that can get over 1mil users at launch a good start and successful seeing as WoW only had 200k day 1 and only around 250k its first year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Yes, i believe GW2 will have more than TOR, BUT.. i see any game that can get over 1mil users at launch a good start and successful seeing as WoW only had 200k day 1 and only around 250k its first year.
    Let's not jinx ourselves here...

I am glad to see this much enthusiasm, but I fear some people may have set their expectations too high (although very unlikely) trying to hop to the next best looking MMO coming out in the market.

We have always seen a trend in the MMO market that people tend to jump ship for the next boat to set sail, and in the end its those people who make the boat sink by overburdening it with high expectation. Let's just hope GW2 will in fact be able to handle it well.

I really cant wait for the game, but someone has to play Devil's Advocate here...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

No MMO before WoW had more than around 450k at its peak, which was EQ. Games like Asherons Call and Dark Ages of Camelot had even less, and I'd consider all 3 of those to be successful, and all three of these games are still running ~10 years later.

When you don't have a hundred servers you don't need millions of players to fill them. As long as they can make a profit and there's enough players to enjoy the game with, it's successful IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    SNIPE
    Meh.. i'v been watching both GW2 and TOR since they were first announced, 1 reason i think GW2 will have more at start is because i signed up day 1 for TOR beta and it wasn't announced til probably a year later that they hit 1mil signed up, and this got 1mil i n48 hours, just sayin.

BUT I could care less about how many players they get, only care about me and my friends playing.

Quote Originally Posted by kanezfan View Post
    This is obviously a sign that the game is dying, they only got one million sign ups for beta, they needed to hit at least 10 million, the game is already dead, cancel the game, merge servers, fire everybody, start WW3, there's only 4 billion years to go until the earth is roasted by the sun becoming a red giant, take me to your leader.

Sorry I had to get my digs in at the doubters :P

I know this is never gonna happen but maybe since I signed up in the first hour when the beta was announced, I'll get in on the first beta? Yeah I know that's not going to affect my chances at all :'(
    Hahahah, good one .
    Well I wish Theyd use time too. Signed seconds after the site went live (got mail instantly too).

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh.. i'v been watching both GW2 and TOR since they were first announced, 1 reason i think GW2 will have more at start is because i signed up day 1 for TOR beta and it wasn't announced til probably a year later that they hit 1mil signed up, and this got 1mil i n48 hours, just sayin.

BUT I could care less about how many players they get, only care about me and my friends playing.
    Yea, I just hope that we wont get the load of negative nancy's that kill the reputation of MMO's though. The market already has a hard time with everyone comparing every single MMO to WoW, and while GW2 is nothing of the sort, you just can't Guarantee that such people wont try to defame it.

In the end though its really about how I enjoy the game, if it runs for a good 5-10 years I still will have a great experience with it.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol