Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Didn't come across that in the READ ME.

Ehm, so...

I've spent hours and hours reading that thread, but...

I see nothing being mentioned for the resource system, except what concerns thieves.

Can you please enlighten me as to what resource will each proffesion use?

Thanks in advance

15+ Year Old Account
    In reality only Thieves have a resource system for their skills, which is Initiative. All other professions are actually balanced around cooldowns on their skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of resources, all classes (other than thieves) have cooldowns on all their abilities instead. The only skill that doesn't have a CD is your 1 skill.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Basically what everyone else said, thieves are the only one with a resource and they have no cooldowns so if they use all of their initiative then they have to wait for it to regenerate to attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said above, Thieves have the only different resource of pewpew.

Although, Warriors do have adrenaline, but that's different.

"Adrenaline is the warrior profession's unique mechanic. As the warrior attacks, adrenaline is built up which can be spent on a single powerful burst attack. Each weapon set has a single burst skill which has a variety of different conditions that improve with more adrenaline. Adrenaline has 3 levels, as burst skills to. Each adrenalin level increasing the effect of the burst skill."

Source- http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warrior

CDR based game

more reason to <3 GW2.

Well,

it will be very strange to go from MANA MANA MANA MANA and rogues doing circles around you to:

92% spells are able to be cast while moving and cost 0% of your mana :P

Deleted
    Well, thieves have initiative as you said. All other professions have cooldowns on their abilities, except for their ''auto attack'' button 1. However, all professions have some sort of unique 'resource' they can use. Warriors have adrenaline for their special adrenaline skill, Guardians have virtues, Necromancers have life force to activate death shroud, Engineers have something useful depending on their utility skills, Mesmers can detonate their illusions, Rangers have a pet I guess (?) and Elementalists the attunements. There's no mana or something to worry about (thankfully).

Resources are just gameplay mechanics. All the professions have a 'resource' or more accurately a mechanic of some kind. Warriors have adrenalin, Guardians have virtues, Engineers have kits, et cetera. In addition to being bound to the CD of certain more powerful skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    They used to have an energy mechanic for all classes, but they threw it in the bin, and instead gave cooldowns to each ability.

Deleted
    All other professions got cooldown on their skills.

Thief does not, and can spam their skills as much as they want, but they cost initiative.

So instead of, for example, a Warrior uses a skill which stuns for 2 seconds, and then it got a cooldown, the Thief can press this skill with a 2 second stun, as many times the intiative let them, which will probably be two times, but then they have to offer other things like a better damage skill which costs initiative.
    Last edited by mmoc78d225b3dd; 2012-02-24 at 10:59 PM.

oh, that's why it seems that everyone wants to roll a thief...

because they will allow for some big big big big experimentation to put it gently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    oh, that's why it seems that everyone wants to roll a thief...

because they will allow for some big big big big experimentation to put it gently.
    Well, that and they're in the general sense of a thief/rogue/scoundrel/etc (D&D based almost). You don't always stealth like in WoW. You only stealth when you NEED it.

However, the dodge ability is resource-based. And let's emphasize: USE DODGE!

I don't have a problem with the general idea of a no-resource system, but I have issue with Anet's reasoning behind their decision to not use such a system. The mana bar cluttering the UI doesn't seem to be grounds enough to justify scrapping the whole system.

(thinking of elementalist)

Let's take the equilavent in WoW which is a mage.
    Mages have mage armor for 3% of their max mana every 5, passively or glyphed frost armor for 2% of max mana per 5.
    I wouldn't call that mana management. Their mana (My main's a mage for years now) is never an issue. The only case where you care about is when you are PvEing as arcane.
    So... meh...

I guess that they did that to balance off the unending resource of warriors, rogues, hunters and dks. It seems also that the mana gains from talents are to balance that. Essentially, WoW moves towards that "mana is not existant" style, I'd say, so since GW2 seem to be many steps ahead, they went and made it AGAIN! <3

It seems like resource systems such as "mana" became more of formality in modern MMOs than an actual strategic element of play. I play a Bounty Hunter in TOR where "heat" is a sort of reverse rage bar- but I almost never have to stress thinking about it much. As a Prot Warrior in WoW, rage filled at a rate that was rather manageable in most situations also, without a lot of stress needed. A Warrior in rift? Pfft, you have like 1 resource to consider. And playing a healer class nowadays is lulzrunoutofmana? basically.

Of course not all games are like those superficial examples. Yet I see MMOs trending away from limited resource considerations of EQ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, Warriors also have Adrenaline. Every class has something to make it unique, but it's not always a resource.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I thought the reason it got removed was something to do with pots and how to balance it.

Thank god, mana is just useless.. it doesn't require you to think strategically or anything but make you sit for a while after a long fight. I like the mentality of.. you're an elementalist, you cast magic and shit. No resources required. Because it really serves no purpose. During cds you can swap weapons and cast more shit

I have never minded the energy resource so initiative is awesome for me I am a rogue/thief in games so.. that's what I'll be playing. I wouldn't say people are choosing thief just for that mechanic. It's not OP vs anything just a unique to the class. Like warriors still have adrenaline but it isn't needed to use all of their skills, just one of their burst attacks and it builds up by using regular attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    I thought the reason it got removed was something to do with pots and how to balance it.
    The repair system replaced the energy bar of yore. The old energy system wasn't really a resource, it was a very bad way of taxing the player for playing the game. It's why they scrapped it... it was intrusive to the game's design.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)