Deleted

will gw2 be more demanding than tera?

I've compared the graphic's of both games and tera does look better visually but will gw2 be more demanding?

10+ Year Old Account

Guild Wars 2 will be using Umbra occlusion technology, it will help reduce the amount of rendering the engine and client will need to do by not rendering anything that is not in the view of your client's camera, this video alone should help you understand that GW2 should actually perform better than even WoW on low end PC's

EDIT: although the current engine is not optimized, the point of the upcoming Beta is to help them do so, and as such the minimum spec requirements will come out once this phase of testing is complete.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-02-25 at 12:01 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea. We don't have specifics on how intense the engine is on your cpu, and the beta is using an unoptimized client.

I'd say they will be close. Tera runs the unreal engine and is very stable. GW2 is looking stable as well, even though it's still unoptimized.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Guild Wars 2 will be using Umbra occlusion technology, it will help reduce the amount of rendering the engine and client will need to do by not rendering anything that is not in the view of your client's camera, this video alone should help you understand that GW2 should actually perform better than even WoW on low end PC's

EDIT: although the current engine is not optimized, the point of the upcoming Beta is to help them do so, and as such the minimum spec requirements will come out once this phase of testing is complete.
    Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

Tera is hella optimized. However, note that Tera is already released in some territories and is using a very developed engine at this point. GW2 is still a ways off- meaning there is still optimization to be made.

Basically, don't judge too early. Though GW2 looks "done" there is still work being done on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In this video, if you watch the wall on the right when the camera pans, you see the detail pop in when Umbra lags because of optimisation issues

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    In this video, if you watch the wall on the right when the camera pans, you see the detail pop in when Umbra lags because of optimisation issues
    Indeed you notice that rendering. On the other hand the player experienced no gameplay lag, and in a second the textures were loaded. Seems pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tera is hella optimized.
    Hella...that's a term I haven't heard on years. One thing I've noticed though is most Korean MMO's are obscenely well optimized.

OT: Yeah, I would assume that it would be "around" as demanding at similar graphics settings, but right now we can't tell since it's still in relatively early beta and they haven't done a full optimization pass yet from what I've read.

Deleted
    Well to be fair TERA is built on the Unreal 3 Engine, the most popular, wide-spread and matured graphics engine ever.

Guild Wars 1 wasn't too demanding and I think GW2 will aim to achieve the same. That said, I don't have too high hoped for my Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz. The time of dual-core gaming rigs is coming to an end and if GW2 requires a quad-core, (and I wouldn't be surprised if it did), it's time for an upgrade.

I kick it old school, Edge.

Deleted
    im running tera 1080p everything maxed at about 30-70 fps but its owning my cpu amd phenom II 965 3.5 ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

i wish it can run better than wow does on this comp.. i had a steady 20 FPS on low settings with particles up.

Deleted
    doubtfull, It's pretty amazing how well wow supports low-end machines. On reasonable amount of people situation at least: 25man raids and battle grounds can get very messy, but that's an other issue.
    I would not expect gw2 to run any better than wow in "normal" situations. Heck i'd be extremely surprised if gw2 had the same hardware requirements as a seven years old game. Very surprised indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    i wish it can run better than wow does on this comp.. i had a steady 20 FPS on low settings with particles up.
    I'm sorry to tell you, but even without spec being released you won't be able to run GW2 on low if at all if those are your WoW specs. I had a 1.8ghz 2 core Pentium with internal graphics card that was shit and 1gb ram back in TBC and I still got better FPS than you.... I recommend saving up friend

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously doubt it. While GW2 graphics are awesome, Teras graphics are absofuckinglutely monstrous.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Hella...that's a term I haven't heard on years. One thing I've noticed though is most Korean MMO's are obscenely well optimized.

OT: Yeah, I would assume that it would be "around" as demanding at similar graphics settings, but right now we can't tell since it's still in relatively early beta and they haven't done a full optimization pass yet from what I've read.
    In California people use hella all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    In California people use hella all the time...
    I live in California (near SF) and haven't heard that term in quite a while O.o

Short answer: No
    Long answer: GW2 looks really nice because of their art team, they're not pushing tech like other developers do so people can play the game on a wide variety of machines. They use a tech called Umbra culling as you've seen in the thread that makes it so the game doesn't render what it can't see. Also, ANet has 12 years of experience with this engine and their CEO created Battle.net and the Warcraft 3 engine. Then you have GW1 which still holds up to this day and runs on a toaster. All in all they know what they're doing from an engine standpoint.

Yea, part of the reason GW2 looks so good is simply art style and consistent design. Tera is a whole other realm of fidelity.