Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I saw beta videos of the ranger pets and other beasts in the wild, and one thing that struck me was how suddenly they'd turn...like, instantly with no turning animation. The textures and movement in every other aspect = top notch, but the way they turned and such made me go a bit "Oook...me no like...o.O". I hope that will change.

One of the main reasons people float or glide is the lack of character shadows. You need something to link you with the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I am almost 100% sure that this "gliding effect" will not be "fixed". This is how movement looked in GW1 and since they're using a heavily upgraded version of the same engine they used in GW1 for GW2, I doubt it will be removed. But I do agree that it looks a bit stupid.
    In game it seems a lot less noticeable, at least in GW1 it wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    One of the main reasons people float or glide is the lack of character shadows. You need something to link you with the ground.
    Yep, I'm sure it will be sorted when we actually have proper shadows.
    Perhaps that's why it doesn't bother me, as I played without shadows for years before getting my new PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I am almost 100% sure that this "gliding effect" will not be "fixed". This is how movement looked in GW1 and since they're using a heavily upgraded version of the same engine they used in GW1 for GW2, I doubt it will be removed. But I do agree that it looks a bit stupid.
    It's not about the game engine at all. Character gliding exists when the characters stride does not match distanced traveled. It's that simple. It would only be a matter of adjusting the animations, assuming the gliding exists in the first place.

edit: unless you're talking about hovering, not gliding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikram View Post
    edit: unless you're talking about hovering, not gliding.
    I don't think people know WHAT they're trying to describe, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Only if you're legally blind. Ranger flagger skill meter was how few steps you took during duel. The more time you spent gliding around with your feet touching the ground unmoving, the better your skill at controlling shot timings vs maximizing movement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i have noticed this, Its the same with most F2P games like The forsaken world. It is a little annoying but hopefully they will get around to polishing up the walking/running animations soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Only if you're legally blind. Ranger flagger skill meter was how few steps you took during duel. The more time you spent gliding around with your feet touching the ground unmoving, the better your skill at controlling shot timings vs maximizing movement.
    Asheron's Call agrees. Before the "fix", not touching the floor was the sign of a true master of PvP.

On track: I notice it too. It was less noticeable as I was going batshit over how awesome everything else was, but definitely there. People have already said what the problem is, and they're right. Combination of stride, shadow, and speed.

I'll take it, even though it bugs me in other games I can tolerate it here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Mmmm nah, it's very noticeable in game.

ive played for probably around 15 hours and have not noticed this until i just read this thread. maybe its because my character is Charr.
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

Since my thread was closed and I was redirected here:

and

Showing the problem of "sliding feet"
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I'll be honest I didn't really notice it, but I probably will now...it's hard for most games to get step collision right especially MMOs, so I normally just look past it.

I played (still play) GuildWars 1 and yes there gliding and sliding effect was easily noticed, but it didn't bother me at all. I didn't think about it when playing the beta, but now that you guys mentioned it i tried to look and i don't seem to glide or slide on my charr, maybe its because all my settings are on max, but i can't seem to glide at all.

I mentioned this a long time ago i believe, the gliding effect was there when i played it at eurogamer last year ..i hoped they would do something about it but alas...they didnt....yet!

Hope the animations aren't final, some are really bad some are decent others OK, overall htey are good, but there are some really bad and that distracts alot

Deleted
    Im just wondering if anyone else noticed this, this is the only thing that really bothered me during the BWE, everything else was just as imagined it would be and even better.

I just logged in to wow after 3 months to do some pvp and noticed in the first 5 seconds what made my GW2 character feels so slow and sluggish in movement department compared to wow, in wow you can steer your character easily with nothing else but autorun and A D buttons, in gw i noticed that my character turned around soooo slow if you you dont strafe, now, if you strafe in gw2 it also feels very weird, sometimes the character literally slides to left or right, this is most noticeable when you do quick turns to left and right.

Deleted
    Movement animations does feel a bit dull if u choose a large size character.
    Rolling female human, with shortest length etc made it look much better imo

Deleted
    Im not trying to stir anything or bait for trolls because i really liked playing even this first BWE, but how can a game that is 8 years old have so fluid feel and look of their character movement and not a single game after that have achieved that :X is it really that hard from animate/programming point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I tried looking for this specifically, but I never saw this. And I looked hard.

The closest it ever got was when a player had movespeed increases.
    Same here. The only gliding I saw was after an elementslist 'blink'. If you don't change direction animation will completely stop, but you still hover forward. Tiny bug, reported it already.