Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Shaking hands with the opposite sex is awkward?

When I meet a guy or my friends introduce me to a dude or even when I meet a man a lot older than me, a handshake is completely fine. Whether it's a classic handshake, a brofist, a high five or any other variant. It is still fine.

But when I meet a female and shake hands, it's just awkward. I mean it's not that I have any problem interacting with the opposite sex, it's just handshakes are awkward. Even when I observe other guys shaking hands with women, it's painfully awkward.

For example, the other day my friend introduced me to two of his friends. I shake the guys hand and all is well. Then the girl pops up from behind him and it's like uhh....ok...*handshake*. But it was pretty awkward for me. I couldn't hug her because I'd just met her but a handshake just seemed.....idk.

Is it just me or does it seem a little awkward when a guy and a girl shake hands?

10+ Year Old Account
    just you, never awkward for me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's just you. Sounds like you do have problems interacting with the opposite sex in a platonic way, or you see women as inferior. Just my opinion.

Deleted
    Not really. Logistically awkward if they have wee hands maybe, but 'socially' awkward... no.

I've never had a problem with this. Seems to be you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    It's just you.
    But even when I observe other guys and girls shake hands it's still awkward.

There's like a short hesitation, one person slightly raises their hand, no one looks the other in the eyes, and then an awkward hasty handshake ensues. Maybe I just read too much into people's behaviour but the handshakes I've observed have largely been awkward too.

Just hold her hand lightly on the shake and try to make it sexy, they dont wanna test of str like some dudes. No wet palms under any circumstance

Kiss her hand, like in the old days. Hehe

I am incredibly shy around women, so I can get like that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see it as awkward at all.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't give them a weenie finger clasp handshake either. Don't clamp down on it the same way you would with a guy, but show some respect with a firm and solid grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Sounds like you do have problems interacting with the opposite sex in a platonic way, or you see women as inferior. Just my opinion.
    You're looking way too much into it. However, as you said, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it. This is my opinion.
    Valore - 85 Paladin - Bonechewer
    Spirik - 85 Shaman - Bonechewer

I can see where you're coming from, generally speaking a handshake between men is meant to be firm, almost to the point of handcrushing grip. But it's somewhat, inappropriate, to try and break a woman's hand off...so we tend to pussify it.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    But even when I observe other guys and girls shake hands it's still awkward.

There's like a short hesitation, one person slightly raises their hand, no one looks the other in the eyes, and then an awkward hasty handshake ensues. Maybe I just read too much into people's behaviour but the handshakes I've observed have largely been awkward too.
    When people of the opposite sex first meet their minds are subconsciously and very quickly assessing their compatibility for you to mate with them. This may cause a bit of hesitation because the brain is analyzing everything about this person and sizing up their worth all in a moment. Thousands upon thousands of subconscious queues that the human body gives off are what is making it seem so awkward.
    Another Day Closer to Death. ☼_☼

I dislike shaking the hands of sales men, or for business. I tend to watch their hands as we shake rather than look at their faces because they'll invariably be smiling, trying to instill trust and confidence within me, and I don't like the smarmy way that makes me feel.

I'm fine shaking men's hands in social settings. ...i think.

EDIT: Also, I absolutely loathe limp fish handshakes with anyone, but I experience them more with other women. I don't get the male to male grip of death, but I don't want to feel like I'm just wagging a rag doll around either. Most women I've shaken hands with have given what I'd call firm and polite grips, but a few (one was a doctor) just had me wondering why hold their hand out for a shake when they really were only interested in brushing fingertips.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2012-02-25 at 05:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnald View Post
    When people of the opposite sex first meet their minds are subconsciously and very quickly assessing their compatibility for you to mate with them. This may cause a bit of hesitation because the brain is analyzing everything about this person and sizing up their worth all in a moment. Thousands upon thousands of subconscious queues that the human body gives off are what is making it seem so awkward.
    I guess this sounds like a plausible answer.

However when we narrow the cause down to 'mating' it just makes humans sound so feral. haha

True, but humans at our very core are still animals. :P Just far more advanced. x]
    Another Day Closer to Death. ☼_☼

Deleted
    i dont find any problems in it

Quote Originally Posted by Finnald View Post
    True, but humans at our very core are still animals. :P Just far more advanced. x]
    Ehh, not THAT much more advanced. Just look at LFR

The common greeting between opposite sexes from where I come from is an open-mouth kiss (tongue is optional, usually only for being introduced to a friends' family member)
    The earth is not a cold dead place

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    I guess this sounds like a plausible answer.

However when we narrow the cause down to 'mating' it just makes humans sound so feral. haha
    Suppose we could couch the answers in a more clinical matter, i.e. "gauging your reproductive compatibility rating." Colorfully known as your RCR!

But as for shaking hands, I don't have a problem with it. Give 'em a smile and a firm handshake.