Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Right, better stop buying Samsung phones, Intel products, Amazon products, Acer, Apple, Dell, Gateway, HP, Microsoft, Nintendo, Nokia, Motorola, Vizio, Sony, and Toshiba products while you're at it.

(hint: they all produce their products at Foxconn)
    My phone and shoes were not made by slaves.

(Which is what you were replying to.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Apple is doing nothing wrong or is any other company. Those workers WANT to work their and are WILLING to work for the pay that they are getting.

None of the companies using china as a resource are doing anything wrong except for out sourcing in the first place so less jobs for Americans. Smart business wise though.
    Actually no for many. Chinese gov't forces them to work at those places literally. And also, Apple is doing wrong, its paying horribly low to the workers. For many workers its that or starvation, since farmlands are being bought by multinational corporations. Apple is taking advantage of the people no matter which way you look at it.

Communism in China ?
    Anyways read an article somewhere about those nets couple months ago. Quite hilarious to be honest. Dictatorship is working great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Destroying communism one McDonald's at a time, that's how we do it.
    It works, look at Vietnam. The war was a disaster but now they all buy Western goods, economic and cultural takeovers are the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    When the only other options are available to you are begging or starving is it really a choice?
    You just supported my case even more.... If they are starving and can't find a job, aren't they lucky to have such big companies go over there and willing to give them a job? lol....

Let me break it down.

Man has no job, starving children

Man notices apple willing to give them a job to make some kind of income

Apple is viewed as wrong in the eyes of many people for being in a win/win situation

That's basically what you are telling me

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm... that reminds me, i have to upgrade my iphone.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When the only other options are available to you are begging or starving is it really a choice?
    There are other factories to work at in China, the fact of the matter is that they want to work there. They are more than welcome to quit and find other jobs at other factories.

On top of that the FLA is currently investigating Apple's factories. While we wont see the full report till early march, the first impressions are good.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E1FQ20120215
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    You just supported my case even more.... If they are starving and can't find a job, aren't they lucky to have such big companies go over there and willing to give them a job? lol....

Let me break it down.

Man has no job, starving children

Man notices apple willing to give them a job to make some kind of income

Apple is viewed as wrong in the eyes of many people for being in a win/win situation

That's basically what you are telling me
    Is that what I said? No. The Chinese Government and large corporations are buying out the farmland for next to nothing, forcing the local farmers to give up their livelihood. You are telling me they are lucky they were kicked from their homes for a corp to build a factory?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    My phone and shoes were not made by slaves.

(Which is what you were replying to.)
    Really? What phone do you have?

And foxconn employees are not slaves, they are more than welcome to quit and find new factories jobs to work at it.

None of the companies using china as a resource are doing anything wrong...
    That's debatable. Even from just a purely ethical standpoint. But these companies also work to write their own tax breaks into law that incentives them to outsource overseas.

Is that what I said? No. The Chinese Government and large corporations are buying out the farmland for next to nothing, forcing the local farmers to give up their livelihood. You are telling me they are lucky they were kicked from their homes for a corp to build a factory?
    Actually you did by saying that they have no options so apple is the wrong (not exact words, but pretty much implied). Even been multiple responses that chinese workers definitely have a choice to work their or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    so out of 1000's of people 18 committed suicide for reasons that we don't know and not necessarily related to the work place. ok...and they added a help-line for people to talk....how inhumane
    Now if people are from country side in "very poor" conditions that means scarce food, bed = floor...given the alternative i'd go for 18h shifts
    granted 18h work days are a lot but even my dad did that here in Canada when an important project needed to be done.
    Honestly some of this is exaggerated and i love how they only showed the "tired" people (prolly at end of their shift) and only shown like 1-2 people who where smiling at the factory.

also from worker's standpoint of view their biggest complaint is low pay. not shitty working conditions, not the long hours, not the stress but wages...and how is that different from majority of people here in North America? Unless you are a CEO people here bich about long hours and low pay as well...

the media is good at taking the part of the story and turning into a hell-hole. I want to see what the whole facility looks like and from where the people came and what the money means for those people to judge

edit: also the last comment at the end of the vid made me lol...she didnt say think about the worker's conditions before you buy but said we tired hard to make it so use it with care!...^^
    Last edited by MrHappy; 2012-02-25 at 05:53 PM.

Its funny all the tree hugging hippies are pro apple and anti corporation, lmao, Apple is the worst offender.

Deleted
    Actually you did by saying that they have no options so apple is the wrong (not exact words, but pretty much implied). Even been multiple responses that chinese workers definitely have a choice to work their or not.
    Once again you are making assumptions about what I meant, stop trying to twist my words.

Once again you are making assumptions about what I meant, stop trying to twist my words.
    you said this

So yes, you did pretty much imply that they don't have a choice and this is wrong.

Really? What phone do you have?

And foxconn employees are not slaves, they are more than welcome to quit and find new factories jobs to work at it.
    My phone was made in Canada. The Android operating system originated in America if I'm not mistaken. And I'm not going to get drawn into a semantic debate with you about how "free" workers in china are.

Right, better stop buying Samsung phones, Intel products, Amazon products, Acer, Apple, Dell, Gateway, HP, Microsoft, Nintendo, Nokia, Motorola, Vizio, Sony, and Toshiba products while you're at it.

(hint: they all produce their products at Foxconn)
    This. It's not Apple's factories, no matter how the media tries to spin it. (Everyone loves hating on Apple, right?)
    Almost every electronics company in the world have some parts supplied by Foxconn.

There are other factories to work at in China, the fact of the matter is that they want to work there. They are more than welcome to quit and find other jobs at other factories.

On top of that the FLA is currently investigating Apple's factories. While we wont see the full report till early march, the first impressions are good.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81E1FQ20120215
    Again, they are not Apple's factories. Other than that I agree with you. Working there probably is not near as horrible as the media tries to convince us it is.
    Suicides happen everywhere. The only reason this gets so much attention is that Apple is a well known global company.
    A suicide at (insert any local small business) is equally sad but no one cares about those.
    Last edited by Unknown User; 2012-02-25 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    (Everyone loves hating on Apple, right?)
    Huh? Apple is the most popular/trendy company in the world.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    This. It's not Apple's factories, no matter how the media tries to spin it. (Everyone loves hating on Apple, right?)
    Almost every electronics company in the world have some parts supplied by Foxxcon.

Again, they are not Apple's factories. Other than that I agree with you. Working there probably is not near as horrible as the media tries to convince us it is.
    Suicides happen everywhere. The only reason this gets so much attention is that Apple is a well known global company.
    A suicide at (insert any local small business) is equally sad but no one cares about those.
    While they aren't technically apple's factories, the factories being inspected mostly deal with Apple products and Apple does have a very big say in how those factories operate because Foxconn doesn't want to lose them as a client.

Deleted
    you said this

So yes, you did pretty much imply that they don't have a choice and this is wrong.
    When the big companies destroyed their farms and made them out of work, i think i have a pretty valid point dont you think?

Imagine this... You have a small but modest farm, don't make much money but you are happy and your family is well fed. Then the Chinese Government takes the land off you, relocates you but does not give you another farm, they then build a huge factory in the place your farm used to be. You are now out of work, your family is starving as their is little or no welfare in China, the only option is to work for the company that destroyed your life. You work for just enough to keep your family from starvation, but you cannot live with them. You work very long hours and rarely see your family.

How is any of that fair?

Compare a factory workers life in China to that of a worker in North America or Western Europe, how are they getting a fair deal? When China starts seeing how the other side lives they will start getting very pissed off.