Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    'We' don't anymore... at least not in the UK.

Vinland is proven, ergo, Vikings 'discovered' North America.

Not that it needed discovering as it was already inhabitated by natives, in the North, South & Central Americas.

And they walked to the Americas via Russia

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    The first people to discover America were those who came across the Bering Land Bridge tens of thousands of years ago. These were nomadic peoples who settled and created civilizations of their own throughout the Americas.

A self-important European society created the idea that Columbus discovered it. He simply introduced it to their civilization.
    Yes because they then were supposed to know that some people had come across the ice 10000 years ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    Because most part of the history as we know it is written by the Europeans. And to the Europeans, Columbus discovered America.
    What's a little sad is that countries in the Americans continue to tell history as such.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocketzest View Post
    There are a million history questions like that....Why do we consider Thomas Edison the inventor of the light-bulb? Why is Nikola Tesla excluded from most history books? Why does.....ect, the list goes on.
    You can only invent the lightbulb once...its not like it was already in this world like a country, this logic is fail.

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    What's a little sad is that countries in the Americans continue to tell history as such.
    Really because here in the United States I was taught that the Vikings discovered America? You should maybe go check your facts there kiddo.
    "LET TERROR RAIN!!!" ~ Warcraft III

It's unpardonably ethnocentrist and Eurocentrist, and demonstrates an archaic way of thinking that people are yet to abandon due to their backwardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    You can only invent the lightbulb once...its not like it was already in this world like a country, this logic is fail.
    *achem* I think the point was: Edison didn't invent the *light bulb*, just refined it.

So, technically, the light bulb *was* already in the world...so, you fail?

Edit: Link provided for further edumacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cablecow View Post
    because the education system is designed to brainwash people into only holding one man responsible for things , such as the abe Lincoln assassination , your never taught about anything other than john wilks booth
    dont forget the Kennedy assassination, the fact is even today we still dont know what really went down.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzeh View Post
    *achem* I think the point was: Edison didn't invent the *light bulb*, just refined it.

So, technically, the light bulb *was* already in the world...so, you fail?

Edit: Link provided for further edumacation.
    You can say that about numerous inventions out there.
    Mp3, DSL, the internet itself, etc. So many things have been invented and were a failure at first, and then somebody came, improved it, and got all the profit. The "real" inventors never get credit.

SO fucking WHAT. who the hell cares. That's how life goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

i live in canada and we were always taught that leif eriksson discovered "america".

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    maybe in the US... columbus seems to be a very important cultural figure in the US... here not. here we spent a lot of time learning about eriksson and the vikings. i think columbus was briefly mentioned but mostly after the vikings we learned about jaques cartier and samuel de champlain. those two are like canada's equivalent of columbus in the U.S. lol. john cabot was also very important ofc.
    Last edited by hellosaltygoodness; 2012-02-25 at 07:57 PM.

north america was discovered by ancient asian ancestors crossing an ice shelf thousands of years ago. why do you think native americans and inuits look so much like mongols and other pan pacific asians

10+ Year Old Account
    I´m kinda sure the Icelander Leif Eiríksson was the first but for some reason he is not named the first even tho he did it 500 years before Columbus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Ericson

"regarded as the first European to land in North America (excluding Greenland), nearly 500 years before Christopher Columbus."
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

People don't like to rewrite history nor admit to being wrong. And most people have already accepted Columbus, Edison, etc. as being the 'first.'
    Vikings and Tesla are too evil! And such.

Meh the majority of people know the truth really about what happened. It's just that you don't learn the whole story until you get a little older. I'm not a fan of it myself, but the best way to change it is to do something about it. There are plenty of things people could do to change the world if they chose to do it instead of just /complain about it. If something means that much to you, then you should try and correct it. Then you will be the one remembered for speaking up in the first place instead of just complaining like every other person does.

Aside from some parts of Central America (Panama etc.) he never set foot on what is now called North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    clearly we need to start celebrating Leif Ericson day! I'll get my viking helmet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    All these people arguing about who discovered what first for whatever nationality are just mad the Americans took credit for it.

In other news, continue the fickle bickering...it's giving me something to read between these Lotto degenerates haha

About the "educational system" and "brainwashing" ... I have never taken a history class in high school or college that focused at all on America that did not mention that that whole Columbus thing isn't true, and that Amerigo Vespucci may not have ever come here. Everything from high school on has been pretty clear in stating that the Vikings were visiting America hundreds of years before anyone else.

You're told "Columbus did it" when you're a kid. You get clarification later. And this is coming from a person who went through public school in the southern US.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because Columbus was European. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by wbjack View Post
    All these people arguing about who discovered what first for whatever nationality are just mad the Americans took credit for it.

In other news, continue the fickle bickering...it's giving me something to read between these Lotto degenerates haha
    Americans discovered America?