Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
10
18
19
20
  1. #381
    Botting flourishes in games where heavy grind is present. Because the commodity they are ultimately trading in is ease.

    Once again, no one is really gonna give two flips about the axe dropped off a veteran rhino.

  2. #382
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    I've never really thought of botting as being as bad as people make it out to be.

    I mean, I can log on to WOW and buy raw crafting mats for 20% of what they'd be if humans had to gather the mats. It's good for me... perhaps bad for the human "farmers"... but there's plenty of other ways to make money. I don't mind bots doing the boring/tedious work for the community. They lower prices and free up human players' time. It's a good deal if you ask me.
    The gold they make is used in gold selling services, which in turn will only cause them to turn around and hack accounts back to make even more money.

    Edit: But, like Fencers said, if you remove grind from a game, I don't see much point in trying to bot it. They can try, but they won't find any profit from it in GW2, because there are no practices that people will try to avoid doing.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  3. #383
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Botting flourishes in games where heavy grind is present. Because the commodity they are ultimately trading in is ease.

    Once again, no one is really gonna give two flips about the axe dropped off a veteran rhino.
    What about long and tedious grinds for cosmetic gear? What if it takes MONTHS of grinding to get it. I'm sure someone will pay for a toon with all their faction points maxed out or something, who has all the fancy grind-based cosmetic gear.

    (Now, if ANet SELLS those in the online shop for $$$ already... then that'll change things up for sure, I agree.)

  4. #384
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    What about long and tedious grinds for cosmetic gear? What if it takes MONTHS of grinding to get it. I'm sure someone will pay for a toon with all their faction points maxed out or something, who has all the fancy grind-based cosmetic gear.

    (Now, if ANet SELLS those in the online shop for $$$ already... then that'll change things up for sure, I agree.)
    ANet isn't putting grind into the game, if they meet their design goals.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  5. #385
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The gold they make is used in gold selling services, which in turn will only cause them to turn around and hack accounts back to make even more money.
    Right.

    So botting - in theory - I'm mostly okay with... however, because of your point above, I'm generally against it. I will also report any bots I see in GW2 for sure.

  6. #386
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    That really depends. If they add achievements that have to do with getting one of those optional things then it's not THAT optional anymore to a completionist.

    I'm a person that finds fun in completing every little possibility in a game. And if those possibilities have anything to do with purchasing extra (optional or not) content, then not only does it not become as psychologically optional anymore it also becomes ridiculously more expensive than 15 dollars a month.


    For instance, let's take wow as an example, or a fictional wow (since I'm not entirely sure how it works cause I unsubbed a while ago). If they add feats of strength to getting one of those blizzard store poneys then it is no longer AS optional as say collecting all the white quality tuxedo vests for fun.

    Because honestly you can argue that ANYTHING is optional since it's a game and not a job but once you start giving psychological rewards (such as achivements) for obtaining those optional things, it becomes a grey area between "required" (if anything can be in a game) and optional.

    So long story short: You know you wont be able to resist buying it so they shouldn't even give you the option?



    On a slightly unerlated topic, theres alot of dimwits who keep shouting WoW killer about GW2, but oddly enough, they seem to be people who play WoW and just are incapable of understanding the concept of competition vs monopoly. A game that can compete with WoW is a great thing for you even if it means your game loses a couple of subscriptions. I won't be bothered to go into detail as everything I wrote after WoW killer were blacked out to these people anyway in the hissyfit they all inevitably end up in whenever these aforementioned words were mentioned in combination.

    GW2 does not need a subscription fee and we've more than explained why, people are just bouncing back into the subject with overly dramatic examples that quite frankly hold little to no truth to how this type of games work, heck most of these people seems to be incapable of keeping track of the 3 concepts B2P F2P and P2P.

  7. #387
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Botting flourishes in games where heavy grind is present. Because the commodity they are ultimately trading in is ease.

    Once again, no one is really gonna give two flips about the axe dropped off a veteran rhino.
    Additionally, i wonder how much stuff can be "grinded" with a bot. Crafting materials? Well since everyone can loot the same node there is less likely to be a huge shortage as you are not "taking" mats from other people.
    DE requiere a certain level of participation, how well can a bot do this with hundreds of constantly changing events?

    WvW? Whats there to grind? A bot would get his ass kicked 24/7, and just being their makes no difference. No battlegrounds to farm as an AFKer either.
    Sure we'll probably see a bot or two. But with little incentive to do it, and little things to actually Bot i dont see it being a problem as in WoW. But thats just theory.

  8. #388
    It just ain't a big deal. The concern is trivial.

  9. #389
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It just ain't a big deal. The concern is trivial.
    Agreed, as far as botting goes. I highly doubt that there will be many things out in the world to buy which we'll need gold for. It seems like most of the items we buy will be purchased with karma, which definitely isn't farmable. Mats for professions, yes. However, because mat nodes are phased in for every player individually, there will be no hassle in getting what you need. At least not enough for there to be a flood of people looking to buy online off of bots.

    Less desire for farmable mats = less bots
    Less bots = less GW2 botting companies
    Less GW2 botting companies = less bot ads in general chat

    I don't see any fear of bots in this game. There may be even less than WoW, considering there will be an even smaller demand for farmable mats and monetary currency.

  10. #390
    You're making it sound as if the game won't really have an economy. Is that correct?

    If getting anything you need doesn't require a substantial time investment, nothing will have any value, except for the RNG item drops.
    Last edited by Dacomp89; 2012-02-28 at 08:16 PM.

  11. #391
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacomp89 View Post
    You're making it sound as if the game won't really have an economy. Is that correct?

    If getting anything you need doesn't require a substantial time investment, nothing will have any value, except for the RNG item drops.
    Time investment is getting the materials, getting your crafting up, finding and developing new plans for items among other things. I would think that some materials would be rare though.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  12. #392
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,031
    The difference is, if ANet does it's job right, anything that requires time investment will be fun to invest time in, as opposed to being a grind, which is, by it's vary nature, boring.

    People in WoW don't want to spend hours grinding herbs, because flying around from node to node over an entire zone is boring as hell, even as a druid, and it takes literally hours to actually get any amount of materials worth the effort to begin with.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •