Thread: About servers

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

About servers

as i have understood you lose some sort of ''points'' if you change server with your character?

with that in mind, how many people will actually change at the beginning of the game to the ''best'' server? are you afraid of picking the server that are losing all wvwvw matches?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what "points" you're referring to. As I understand it, you just lose whatever WvW bonus you had attributable to the server from which you transferred. Additionally, you won't be eligible for the new servers bonus for an undecided period of time.

I'm not too afraid of picking a medicore server since the pairings change based on how your server ranks in the prior match(es).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MalazanFan View Post
    I'm not sure what "points" you're referring to. As I understand it, you just lose whatever WvW bonus you had attributable to the server from which you transferred. Additionally, you won't be eligible for the new servers bonus for an undecided period of time.

I'm not too afraid of picking a medicore server since the pairings change based on how your server ranks in the prior match(es).
    that might be what i was looking for. I see, that's great

I think switching servers wont be worthy for a longer while - since its gonna be anyones game really.
    Unless you will follow some HC PVP communities who will roll on one "superior" server.
    But then I guess you can expect playing on overflow server quite often, having problems participating in WvWvW too.
    Just like queuing in WoW for TB on very population imbalanced server - at times its a miracle to get in if youre on the overpopulated faction.
    Last edited by Rapti; 2012-02-26 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    as i have understood you lose some sort of ''points'' if you change server with your character?

with that in mind, how many people will actually change at the beginning of the game to the ''best'' server? are you afraid of picking the server that are losing all wvwvw matches?
    You dont have to worry about this. The WvW matches will balance themselves overtime. If everyone moves to the "best" server they are going to wined up losing eventually and then what do you do? Remember their are 3 servers trying to win each round, multiply that by the number of matches going on lets say at release their are 33 server so 11 matches. If the "best" server gets first place in their first 2 matches and gets 3rd their third match then are they still the "best" server?

What if the server you came from got 2nd place in their first 2 matches and got 1st in their 3rd. The game actively balances the match ups by placing winning servers against other winning servers and losing servers with other losing servers. This way the "Top" servers are always knocking each other off the "Top" and the bottom servers are not always losing.

Also, the servers you face during every battle changes. For 2 weeks you'll be fighting a certain 2 servers that entire time, but after the battle ends your server is matched up against 2 different servers.

Quick question, will there be dynamic events inside WvW? And for how long will each match last? Just on an average value?

They are persistent battles that people can join and leave and join again. They cycle every 2 weeks as servers are matched up against new servers. Yes there will be dynamic events. There are events for taking and defending the objectives (keeps, towers, caravans) as well as some PvE events.

What will happen if one server conquers the entire map?

The other two servers need to work together to beat them back.. We saw that very thing happen this weekend when green took the entire map. We were red and we decided that blue was not who we should be fighting. Within hours we has fought back and recaptured a large portion of the map.

Also, since servers get rematched every two weeks, that server will get matched up with other servers when the battle ends.

It doesn't seem like trying to gain an advantage by switching servers to the server that's winning will work at all.

Deleted
    if u look at newest Yogscast video about WvW bonuses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyMRoB8Xff8 go to 5:15 ) u can see that bonuses are not groundbreaking :P
    and yes DE's will be in WvW just like in questing areas
    batles lasts for 2 weeks, after these winning servers will prolly fight with other winning servers and if your server lose you will get another lost servers (that's how I undesrtsand it)
    yes I know ppl answered this but I'm just saying to make youe sure :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Also, the servers you face during every battle changes. For 2 weeks you'll be fighting a certain 2 servers that entire time, but after the battle ends your server is matched up against 2 different servers.

It doesn't seem like trying to gain an advantage by switching servers to the server that's winning will work at all.
    Can you tell me where you got that signature?

Deleted
    You join a server, and you get WvW bonuses. You then change server, and these bonuses will disappear for you (Probably until the next WvW starts, which is every 2 week).

If you now change to the ''best'' server, your server will be matched against other ''best'' servers. Also, your ''best'' server can be matched against two other ''not as best as your server'' servers. These two servers can then go against your ''best'' server, and finish it off, and then these two ''not as best as your server'' servers will compete against each other, while your ''best'' server is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Can you tell me where you got that signature?
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/character_tool/

You'll have to resize it and stuff to get it within the rules of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    You join a server, and you get WvW bonuses. You then change server, and these bonuses will disappear for you (Probably until the next WvW starts, which is every 2 week).

If you now change to the ''best'' server, your server will be matched against other ''best'' servers. Also, your ''best'' server can be matched against two other ''not as best as your server'' servers. These two servers can then go against your ''best'' server, and finish it off, and then these two ''not as best as your server'' servers will compete against each other, while your ''best'' server is dead.

When you match 3 servers naturally one of them will have the highest current score, but they'll be matching servers of approximately the same score, so each server should presumably be about the same level. You cannot finish off a server. You can capture all of their stuff, but their players will still be around so you'd have to continue defending your buildings from them.

I think anyone chasing the "best" servers will just be wasting their time. The bi-weekly rebalance and new pairings should level out the playing field and therefore make every groups WvW experience balanced for the most part (meaning there is little reason to leave).

Quote Originally Posted by heartlessgamer View Post
    I think anyone chasing the "best" servers will just be wasting their time. The bi-weekly rebalance and new pairings should level out the playing field and therefore make every groups WvW experience balanced for the most part (meaning there is little reason to leave).
    I expect there will be 3-6 "Best" servers that folks transfer to for high end WvW. However doing so is a double edged sword as there's only so many folks that can be on a map at one time. If enough folks try to chase the "Best" there are goign to be massive queues on geting into WvW and possibly lots of time spent on the overflow server. while some will put up with that to be on the "Best" not all will and will happily be on second best or even further down the list. The only server your likely to have a bad experience with would be the "Worst" server, the one that always gets stomped even by the 2 special ed servers that get paired with it constantly.

Who is John Galt?

One thing to notice from the beta videos is that the WvW bonuses that your server gets are not "all or nothing". The size of the bonus increases with how much of the map your server controls, so unless you get completely rofl-stomped, you will still get some bonuses.
    [quote author=ðεrfεℓ † καðαrηε link=topic=158876.msg2123362#msg2123362 date=1265649724]
    And who are you?
    Â A two-feet-tall midget dual wielding 5ft long two-handed swords?
    Â Or a blue-skinned half-squid-half-goat uncorrupted demon of light from outer space who is a wild shaman?
    Â Or are you a killed, then raised, then liberated, then killed, then raised, then liberated again human whose eyes used to glow not, then glow yellow, and now glow blue (I'm not even talking of your spine portruding through your skin, your armor and your cloak)(and the ability to speak without lower jaw)?
    Â Or are you an elf who can turn into a cat, bear, seal, cheetah, eagle and tree, but still has to use ground mounts which you magically conjure from thin air? [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by mistersister View Post
    One thing to notice from the beta videos is that the WvW bonuses that your server gets are not "all or nothing". The size of the bonus increases with how much of the map your server controls, so unless you get completely rofl-stomped, you will still get some bonuses.
    Yes my understanding is the global bonuses are applied when each server reaches specific score thresholds. For each objective your server holds you gain X points every y minutes, once those points hit threshold your bonus gets a bump. A dominant server will reach those thresholds quicker and may advance to higher tiers than the others but a server that can at least hold onto their own borderlands territory a good percentage of time should at least get some bonus after a while it just wont be huge.

This of corse is seperate from the bonuses in WvW for holding the power orbs or being in proxmity to an upgraded keep.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    In terms of the map and what happens when another team fully caps it if you notice on the map in each home zone i.e the borderlands there is a city without a cap point just above the center lake, if your team is pushed back that far you can still spawn in that keep and push out ( it's likely the gates are indestructible ) but like in other games that have smiler layouts it will be harder for the opposing team to A: keep numbers in that area and B: the home team still has home ground bonuses so the opposing team is always at a disadvantage.

Over all this means with balanced server populations the majority of peak hours fighting will be in the center but often on non peak hours maps may be pushed back and then recovered as players start logging on again.

I personally plan to do a lot of late night raiding, PvP raiding that is. Assisting supply chains, rebuilding and reinforcing defenses, and helping out any late night attackers. Not entirely neglecting peak hours either though but I have a feeling my computer will crap out if I walk out onto a field with 300 people going at it.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2012-02-26 at 10:16 AM.

How do the servers actually work in GW2? Is there a typical server list like in other MMO's for different regions from which you choose or? Never played GW1 so I'm a bit lost

No.

You do not lose any points for transferring servers.

How it works is when you first log on you will choose a single server. As soon as you select that server it will be called your home server. All characters created from that point are created in that server. You are able to freely transfer to any server you want, but you will not receive any bonuses from that world or participate in WvWvW. The only bonuses you will get is from your own home server.

In order for you to participate in another worlds WvWvW you have to pay a certain currency to change your home server, most likely cash.

Basically in a nutshell, you dock in one server and the other servers are districts.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    No.

You do not lose any points for transferring servers.

How it works is when you first log on you will choose a single server. As soon as you select that server it will be called your home server. All characters created from that point are created in that server. You are able to freely transfer to any server you want, but you will not receive any bonuses from that world or participate in WvWvW. The only bonuses you will get is from your own home server.

In order for you to participate in another worlds WvWvW you have to pay a certain currency to change your home server, most likely cash.

Basically in a nutshell, you dock in one server and the other servers are districts.
    Does this mean then that with only 5 character slots ( that is if there is only 5 ) I can't create one of the left out characters on another server in a smiler way to other mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Does this mean then that with only 5 character slots ( that is if there is only 5 ) I can't create one of the left out characters on another server in a smiler way to other mmos.
    You can freely visit/play on other servers, so far the only restriction I've heard of is that regardless of which server you are visiting you can only fight for your home server in WvWvW. So no, it won't be similar to other mmos that have a separate character list per server.