Lessen game noise output while talking?

I have an assortment of nice mics laying about I use for recording music. I have a spare Shure SM57 I was eyeing up to use for voice chat in MMO gaming.
    I would love to play talking into a microphone placed near me and not be strung up to my computer with headset cables, or have my ears covered at all times when I'm just gaming with friends.

The only problem I can foresee is the noise from my computer while I talk. Is there a way to make it so my computer could mute itself, or more preferably reduce noise output, while I use my "push-to-talk" key?

Any help would with this little problem make playing MMOs with my friends much more convenient, and make my expiernce much more enjoyable!

15+ Year Old Account
    This is definitely possible. It is a feature of Windows Vista and Windows 7 as far as I understand.

Mumble supports its use. By default in Mumble when you talk, all audio output not coming from Mumble is cut by 50%. That level is adjustable in the options for Mumble.

If Mumble can do it, I'm sure there are third-party sound programs that can do it for any application.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    I don't think that's what he wants though, simca. At least the way I read it, is that he wants something that can completely mute everything else, so the people he talks to won't hear themselves in his speakers, etc. either way, what simca said also works if it's just for wow sounds.

You can find an option like that under
    Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Communications tab

I think that reduces the sound also when others talk, but that's the only option I know of.

Deleted
    This is also supported in Ventrilo. (What program do you use OP?)

In vent at least you go Setup -> and click on the 'Ducking' Button in the first tab (Voice).

It has options to enable 'ducking' both when you speak, or somebody else speaks. (I use it for the latter with a headset, to listen to music during a raid etc.)

On the same tab it also has a button to open the communications tab (mentioned by Asme) where you can set the noise reduction to None/50%/80%/Mute.

I don't usually use wow sounds but I tested it just now and yes they do turn down when you use your PTT.

Resinderate really hit the nail on the head. The "ducking" feature is exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately that feature on Ventrilo only works on anything windows 7 and up. I only have windows vista 64bit.
    Noise suppression is an option for sure, being a SM57 is an unidirectional mic, but it will definitely pick up the noise while I talk from any game coming out of the speakers. If no other solution comes to be I'll have to settle for just noise suppression and hope for the best.

I haven't started using a microphone yet or picked a program, all this is preparation and getting started before I start buying any necessary equipment or such. If there is any other program out there that has the same "ducking" option would solve my problem.
    A big thanks in advance