Thread: Who is Hyped?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    I feel like you Mif. It's difficult to enjoy other games... but I don't think it's excitement over gw2, but for the same reason I got interested in the game in the first place. I'm simply bored of wow and swtor-esque mmo's.
    I can definitely understand why beating down the side of deathwing's jaw week after week could be tiresome.

You know, I never did understand the hype behind SWTOR. As soon as I saw the limited character select options and reused hairstyles spanned across each race I had pretty much made up my mind about it. If a game isn't going to give each race it's own identity I have to wonder how many other corners it's cutting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Well yeah, there's nothing to do in WoW. You stand there and press 3 buttons thinking .. "i could be dodging around and being all awesome but im just one shotting mobs and watching tv." SO BORING.
    The problem for me was I'd be out gathering herbs and some asshole would run in and steal my node, or I'd be waiting for 45 minutes in a DPS queue, or I'd be standing in a city with nothing to do because it wasn't raid night, and all I could think would be: "This wouldn't happen in GW2".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The problem for me was I'd be out gathering herbs and some asshole would run in and steal my node, or I'd be waiting for 45 minutes in a DPS queue, or I'd be standing in a city with nothing to do because it wasn't raid night, and all I could think would be: "This wouldn't happen in GW2".
    Exactly! I love that ANet pretty much made a list about everything that sucks in today's MMOs and abolished them completely. I would open mouth kiss every single one of those devs.

Yeah the gear treadmill doesn't appeal to me at all. And I don't really like carrots.
    And then your point is invalid.

The "carrot" to me in this game is to play with friends, downing the hard content and moving towards goals that will reward both me and my friends with nice things. Be it titles, mounts, achievements or whatever. The gear is nice, but it's not the reason to play. Gear = tools to up your game and progress in the content you want to progress through. Anyone playing WoW or any other MMORPG with the mindset of only wanting gear WILL be bored. Especially if they play in a way that enables them to stand still pushing buttons while being AFK.

If you're saying that GW2 won't have any carrots to work for, then I must have been misinformed since from what I've read, GW2 pve content will bring rewards as you go along. Gear for better looks, companions, titles etc etc. If you don't like carrots, then GW2 is the wrong game since all games must bring some incentive to play other than just being pretty. Explored zones only stay unexplored for so long.

People keep saying they are bored of WoW, but that doesn't make WoW a boring game in everyones mind. Some people will undoubtedly say GW2 is a bad game after trying it, that doesn't make it a bad game.

You don't like it when people bash GW2 with bad nonsence, I feel the same way about both WoW and GW2.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-02-26 at 04:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    If you're saying that GW2 won't have any carrots to work for, then I must have been misinformed since from what I've read, GW2 pve content will bring rewards as you go along.
    The carrot he's referring to is the treadmill that WoW puts you on.

You beat bosses, to get better gear, so you can beat harder bosses, so you can get better gear, so you can beat even harder bosses...

You never actually reach a reward. THAT doesn't happen in GW2.

Read my massive rant. I've been in the hardcore heroic raiding scene, and I fully agree with him.

I enjoy WoW. I'm taking a sort of break from it at the moment because I'm obviously burned out, but I still enjoy playing the game, so long as I actually play it with some friends. Playing it with random people, playing it solo, or even playing it with people I've come to loathe and outright hate, the game is unbearable.
    But I still enjoy WoW, and I will still white-knight myself against people who will bash WoW with biased and unfounded claims.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-26 at 04:24 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Hype is good, but too much hype can lead to disappointment (SWTOR)
    Pretty sure theirs tons of hype for diablo3 also, i forget what dev said dont have huge huge expectations for d3 xD
    Aka alot of hype= badbadbad

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    *snip*

Funny thing is, once you miss one raid night, it suddenly becomes a breeze to miss another. And then another. And then you're not showing up at all.
    I do not agree at all, and you are clearly bored with the game. I and others are not, so it can't be the game that's boring in itself, can it now? I am raiding DS and the older Cata tiers every week, I also get to go back to WOTLK/TBC content and rejoice in the nostalgia. I am currently aiming towards a goal in gold, reaching 150 mounts/170 pets, polishing my performance in PVE and PVP, having a blast with guildies and friends, engaging in Arch/leveling useful professions, exploring areas and quests I've never seen with alts and so on.

What I don't do: Dailies, fishing and roleplaying since those are aspects I do not enjoy in this game. Do those parts drag it down/do I dismiss people enjoying those aspects? No, I don't.

Different opinions are different, the problem seems to be that people are not humble enough to come to terms with a very simple fact...one persons opinion does not change the reality for everyone else. Some will agree, others won't. That's about it really.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-02-26 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bored with the game, no. Bored with this patch, this tier? Yes.

The problem I'm having with you, quite frankly, is that you are not willing to consider another person's opinion. There's nothing wrong with having your opinion. There is something wrong with being close-minded. I get stubborn, too, but please don't start being in denial about the state of a game and spouting around, arrogantly mind you, "You clearly haven't raided in high end content."

The game is a good game, and certainly enjoyable, but I finally took the time to break all the little illusions and deceipts I'd built up around myself to try and convince myself the game was everything I could want.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-26 at 04:30 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're saying that GW2 won't have any carrots to work for, then I must have been misinformed since from what I've read, GW2 pve content will bring rewards as you go along. Gear for better looks, companions, titles etc etc. If you don't like carrots, then GW2 is the wrong game since all games must bring some incentive to play other than just being pretty. Explored zones only stay unexplored for so long.
    The really fun thing about GW2 for me is the fact that it doesn't push for you to be max level to enjoy what it has to offer like WoW does. Hell even WoW's holiday events don't fully include you until you're maxed level. GW has something for everyone, IMO the same cannot be said for wow.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it, this is a hype thread about GW2 and I'm tired of you being a debbiedowner. You aren't hyped for GW2? That's cool, feel free to leave this thread!

What I will say to Rorcanna, is that it's actually wise to distance yourself from a new game these days, because it's better to be pleasantly surprised, than to be disappointed yet again, if you know what I mean. And that isn't about WoW that I'm talking about.

Seriously, WoW is a blast with friends, but once you've played the game for a while, a change of pace is welcome. Which is why I think every "WoW killer" has been disappointing, because there really wasn't much change at all.

Let's hope GW2 won't "crush" WoW, just give us interested something else to do. There's no rule that says you can't enjoy more than one game at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    The same way Battlefield 3 was a wow killer, yeah ^^
    What is a wow killer anyways?
    A game that kills wow, so WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The carrot he's referring to is the treadmill that WoW puts you on.

You beat bosses, to get better gear, so you can beat harder bosses, so you can get better gear, so you can beat even harder bosses...

You never actually reach a reward. THAT doesn't happen in GW2.

Read my massive rant. I've been in the hardcore heroic raiding scene, and I fully agree with him.

I enjoy WoW. I'm taking a sort of break from it at the moment because I'm obviously burned out, but I still enjoy playing the game, so long as I actually play it with some friends. Playing it with random people, playing it solo, or even playing it with people I've come to loathe and outright hate, the game is unbearable.
    But I still enjoy WoW, and I will still white-knight myself against people who will bash WoW with biased and unfounded claims.
    And I do not agree with him. Who's right?

As I said, to me the carrot and the reward is given everytime I get to down a boss with my group. Everytime we reach a goal together, everytime I get a new title, mount, pet or perform better as a result of my "training".

You and the other player = bored with what is provided, me and others = not bored. Perhaps because of a different view and mindset overall?

I do not see a grind or a treadmill, I see a game providing me and my friends with content and tools to see/defeat that content for rewards that will last, and since this is an MMORPG I know that there will be NEW content and rewards as time go by. If you people are saying that GW2 won't have anything to work towards, anything new that'll make previous content grow old etc etc then I'm not sure what to think...however, from what I've read and seen so far, the game will have these features but with a different approach in some areas.

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 05:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMeringue View Post
    A game that kills wow, so WOTLK.
    The game peaked in WOTLK, just so you know . And it didn't kill anything, 10m + players isn't dead or even near dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im so hyped but I'm trying my hardest to down play it...but with new info becomes a new level of DOMFGRLSNAODAMMITWTFBBQTAKEMAMONEH!

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, to me the carrot and the reward is given everytime I get to down a boss with my group. Everytime we reach a goal together, everytime I get a new title, mount, pet or perform better as a result of my "training".
    http://www.gw2camp.com/camp-talk/wri...he-carrot.html

Edit: I suggest you read it, rather than blazing through it and glancing over the content in brief.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-02-26 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    What I will say to Rorcanna, is that it's actually wise to distance yourself from a new game these days, because it's better to be pleasantly surprised, than to be disappointed yet again, if you know what I mean. And that isn't about WoW that I'm talking about.

Seriously, WoW is a blast with friends, but once you've played the game for a while, a change of pace is welcome. Which is why I think every "WoW killer" has been disappointing, because there really wasn't much change at all.

Let's hope GW2 won't "crush" WoW, just give us interested something else to do. There's no rule that says you can't enjoy more than one game at a time.
    I agree 100% . GW2 promises to be different enough to be engaging, but this does not mean that I'm bored at all with the other games that I play. It's that simple.

I know, I'm SUCH a fangirl. Whnever I see someone bashing GW2 I want to call them names for being so uninformed and those who have done the research and still chose to pass on it well, I try to remind myself that I don't want someone so silly in my game anyway. :P

Who the hell in their right mind would pass on this game?
    I am too, oh my goodness. I told myself this would never happen, but it did. But hey, I don't really care anymore. I feel as though my fangirlism is legitimate.

But yes, needless to say I am very hyped. I'll talk to anybody who will listen and understand what I'm talking about, which is, unfortunately, very few people. So I end up just talking to them a lot and annoying them.

Yea I'm hyped, but I'm keeping it in check. This game is pretty much my last hope for the MMO genre.

I get to eat it as well in WoW...don't you read my text properly? Do you not understand the meaning of what I'm describing, such as friends having fun, taking out content and getting lasting rewards and then new content coming with new challenges and rewards...? You might not consider those rewards worthwhile, but others do. What's so weird/hard to understand about that?

I've read that text before, I wasn't blown away since I already get to eat the carrot in other games, including WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get to eat it as well in WoW...don't you read my text properly? Do you not understand the meaning of what I'm describing, such as friends having fun, taking out content and getting lasting rewards and then new content coming with new challenges and rewards...? You might not consider those rewards worthwhile, but others do. What's so weird/hard to understand about that?

I've read that text before, I wasn't blown away since I already get to eat the carrot in other games, including WoW.
    I really don't see the carrot getting eaten in WoW, frankly, despite your explanation of the so-called carrot. Boss fights, especially killing the same bosses again and again, whether I do it with friends or not, I just can't enjoy anymore - the boss fights themselves are pure repetition. Pushing the same buttons and spells on your character over and over, reacting to the same mechanics again and again. I don't enjoy doing the same thing over and over, the same way, every time - regardless of who I do it with.

End game is a shit bin carrot race through wallpapered hallways that doesn't peak ever. You herd sheep and slave your life away for generic upgrades of a few percent.

Or you can play the new dumb as fuck mode and slam your head on the keyboard for slightly shitter loot, nurf hurf game design.

It is popular though, just like all those sick ass iOS games and reality shows.

Anyway, laughing at activisions trash aside, I don't really do hype, but GW2 looks like a steady evolution and the side kicking and overflow and several other features intrigue me the tri world Pvp also looks like a nice attept on daoc so I'm def going to buy a box.

The game peaked in WOTLK, just so you know . And it didn't kill anything, 10m + players isn't dead or even near dead.