Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Skill system seems to easy now?

I've been playing the D3 beta, and while I totally understand that their previous rune system was too complicated, what I played today made me just turn the game off.

Basically I'm going to be drip-fed a new ability or rune every time I level. Maybe this isn't so bad on its own, but in the greater context of Blizzard's game decisions the past few years, I'm starting to worry that "concentrated coolness" is evolving into "make everything shiny and retarded."

Maybe it's just me, but I actually want a little more challenge and complexity. And I'm by no means a hardcore gamer.

Skill 'runes' being attached to itemization does not strike me as adding to the challenge and complexity. Combat has not changed even if your options are more readily available to you now.

You still have a lot of decisions to make. You probably would've made them regardless to the change, right?
    And we still have to deal with immunities and AoE's later in the game. They might be trying to get the focus away from changing your mind about the builds over and over again.

Its not rly a matter of easy VS hard...its tedious/annoying VS ...not those things. XD

Random rune drops don't make the game any more challenging or interesting I feel like... I much prefer this model, that way you actually know you'll eventually have the runes you need to make whatever tree you want. More allowance for variance in skill trees makes for more challenge and complexity than your ability to farm for rune drops, in my opinion.
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Deleted
    Well OP you're not the only one with the same thoughts, after looking at the official boards it seems that patch 13 is a total disaster. I honestly well and truly feel sorry for the development team, to receive such an overwhelmingly negative reaction at this point in the game's development, on top of the pressure from the powers that be to make the game accessible to as many people as possible must leave some of them feeling "Sod it! it's not worth it anymore! the mortgage can pay it's self!"

Don't like it, one less thing to do in D3, one day sooner you'll get bored.

People say they liked vanilla or TBC more than cata, yet, back then, the game was WAY more inconvenient. Remember 28 minute flight paths? Waiting on the boat? Attunements, resist gear, two items dropping off a boss for 40 people instead of four for 25? It was all of this "annoying" crap that made you able to log in every day, you always had something to work on.

Take enough of the grind out and you're left with a game you can beat in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post

People say they liked vanilla or TBC more than cata, yet, back then, the game was WAY more inconvenient. Remember 28 minute flight paths? Waiting on the boat? Attunements, resist gear, two items dropping off a boss for 40 people instead of four for 25? It was all of this "annoying" crap that made you able to log in every day, you always had something to work on.

I fear the same thing. I'm afraid Blizzard has completely gone down the "we assume all our customers are utter and complete retards, so we adapt our games to their needs" road and won't be turning around any time soon.

I'm not one to post excessively angry or insulting content on a regular basis, I don't complain on official forums nor do I haunt email boxes. I feel there's quite a few rabid fanbois out there that can fill my spot flawlessly. But. It's really starting to become another of those casual friendly games and I'm just so sick and fucking tired of 1. hearing that term used wrong (casual =/ idiot) and 2. all my games getting adapted for the console QQ generation.

Without actually meaning this, I hope all console gamers die, so we can go back to quality gaming. Thanks.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-02-20 at 12:15 PM.

Blame Activision, the console is pretty big for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Random rune drops don't make the game any more challenging or interesting I feel like... I much prefer this model, that way you actually know you'll eventually have the runes you need to make whatever tree you want. More allowance for variance in skill trees makes for more challenge and complexity than your ability to farm for rune drops, in my opinion.
    I agree with this, and do not think the game will be any "easier" as a result of the change. You can learn all your skills without relying on item drops now; you could do that in Diablo II as well.

I have more opinions on the subject, but will not speak them here for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I agree with this, and do not think the game will be any "easier" as a result of the change. You can learn all your skills without relying on item drops now; you could do that in Diablo II as well.

I have more opinions on the subject, but will not speak them here for various reasons.
    The core system of Diablo is item grind. Finding runes was one of the cool parts in DII. It was a supplement to the basic gear grinding, had different locations as a focus, taking you away from the regular places to find your uniques. Whether you see these runes as part of the skill, or as customizations on your character doesn't matter. What matters, is the fact that they took another element out that used to be extremely fun as an "oh awesome" moment when the high runes started dropping.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-02-20 at 01:16 PM.

Great to see more people waking up to what Blizzard has become, if there is enough pressure from the community they might start making there games awesome again. I am hoping the decline in MoP is going to be huge so they return to making games for gamers again.

Deleted
    The whole game seems so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post

Exactly ..this new rune system kills the longevity of the game, It will be playing the game for months and wrap it up on the shelf. The end point from what I see is beating the inferno and have some fun in pvp and quit. no ladder or competitive challenge and by that time they will release new expansion of all things the removed from the main game to make us drool again !!!

Ballistic, 100% agreed about having concern for the longevity of Diablo3.

offtopic: "to and too", does it differs in English and American-English, or people just mix these all the time? It's so weird to read it written wrong, pisses me off sometimes, no idea why tho, I myself do quite a bit grammar mistakes
    Last edited by Tokas; 2012-02-20 at 05:06 PM.

Deleted
    Just thought I'd add a link to the post about the skill/rune change.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4475...2_15_2012#blog

It's hard for me to really say whether I feel this is good or bad as I never bother grinding runes in D2 and the beta hasn't had them in yet, howver this bit pushes me to feel this is a good change

Quote:
    Our goal with the rune system has always been to provide additional character customization by allowing players to augment or completely alter their skills in new and significant ways. Originally, we tied this in to the itemization system because it felt like a good fit, as Diablo is all about the item drops. But with around 120 base skills, that meant there were around 600 rune variants; on top of that, each variant had five quality levels each, meaning ultimately there would be something like 3,000 different runes in the game… and we knew we were heading toward a problem.
    End Quote.

That doesn't sound fun managing all those runes and I can't help thinking if they reduced the number, you'd get them all fast anyway.

D3 is still going to have many more items than D2 for you to grind, and D2 has had tremendous staying power, if worrying about its longevity is the issue. ~3,000 different runes is just an utterly unreasonable number to have to deal with, and I totally believe Blizzard when they say internal testing showed it to be a horrible, terrible headache at endgame.

Deleted
    easy = console

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    ~3,000 different runes is just an utterly unreasonable number to have to deal with
    You don't have to keep you ilvl 378 bow in your bank if you got yourself a bow ilvl 403, same logic goes to that you won't be keeping crimson rune lvl 2 if you already got lvl 3 unless another alt will benefit from it or you will sell it at GAH or RMAH. It's easy to set ranges of each lvl of runes on which difficulty and Act that can drop from and you get yourself a solution to that problem.