Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
21
61
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Herald of the Titans zcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The ass end of nowhere AKA Kansas.
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    Since the PVP instances are pretty much point capping the ranged characters have to stand on the point. This will balance a lot of these issues out.

    True, I think the only place guardians will really have trouble is when they come across ranged enemies standing on top of things like buildings, keep walls etc because the teleport abilities we have seem to have trouble figuring out how to get us there. (however I do think the greatsword ability binding blade can be used to yank them off ledges etc... if they are in range )

    Those instances will be when builds that use retaliation really become useful.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

  2. #202
    I don't keep up with this thread or Guardians at all, but it seems like they have very very weak ranged capabilities, and probably the worst of any profession.

    How much of an issue will this be?
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't keep up with this thread or Guardians at all, but it seems like they have very very weak ranged capabilities, and probably the worst of any profession.

    How much of an issue will this be?
    The only time I could ever see it being an issue is on large scale pvp, but even then you still have an aoe death grip ability.

    What you lack with ranged abilities is made up for with utility, control, and support abilities.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The only time I could ever see it being an issue is on large scale pvp, but even then you still have an aoe death grip ability.

    What you lack with ranged abilities is made up for with utility, control, and support abilities.
    aoe death grip?

    dear lord arenanet, you've stolen my heart.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    aoe death grip?

    dear lord arenanet, you've stolen my heart.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Binding_Blade

    I missed it the first time myself, I didn't realize it was aoe til someone else pointed it out. I don't really get how it works though. Usually when a skill has a 2nd effect the wiki will list it like that specifically, but for this ability I don't see a second ability that appears after you use the main attack.

    For the most amount of ranged dps abilities you'd have to use scepter + torch, but it's mostly aoe abilities.

    I'm really anxious to play guardian just to see the what the trade off is for having all the extra support and control. Support and control are 2 concepts I've always tried to apply to my play style. For example my main in WoW was an ele shaman, so I was always dropping earthbind totems, tossing out random heals for emergencies, just stuff like that. I always tried to do more than just dpsing, so it's because of that I think guardian will be a good choice for me. Putting out good dps and supporting allies is just something I've always done.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-08 at 10:11 AM.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Binding_Blade

    I missed it the first time myself, I didn't realize it was aoe til someone else pointed it out. I don't really get how it works though. Usually when a skill has a 2nd effect the wiki will list it like that specifically, but for this ability I don't see a second ability that appears after you use the main attack.

    For the most amount of ranged dps abilities you'd have to use scepter + torch, but it's mostly aoe abilities.

    I'm really anxious to play guardian just to see the what the trade off is for having all the extra support and control. Support and control are 2 concepts I've always tried to apply to my play style. For example my main in WoW was an ele shaman, so I was always dropping earthbind totems, tossing out random heals for emergencies, just stuff like that. I always tried to do more than just dpsing, so it's because of that I think guardian will be a good choice for me. Putting out good dps and supporting allies is just something I've always done.
    It's going to be fun to aoe deathgrip a bunch of people and then knock them away with the bubble ability.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    It's going to be fun to aoe deathgrip a bunch of people and then knock them away with the bubble ability.
    I'd love to see a guardian call out for people to get ready to cast AoE damage on him, so he can Blinding Blade people and then switch to a hammer and use Ring of Warding to lock them in.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    how are you able to post the link as an image? I havent been able to get it to work.

    Also Zcks, what do you think of my 2h burning build in my previous post?
    When you are looking at the skills tool page, there is a bbcode at the bottom of the screen, just press it, it will do an auto copy for you and just paste.

    Also, that build seems to be very heavily spirit weapon based, if you take the talent in virtues to double spirit weapon duration it may help allot.
    This is the problem. I went 30/30 valor because of one thing. Crit, which is what my orginal build was based off of but I forgot about crit so I had to alter it.

    Now I had 10 points for spirit weapons since shield with its aoe can spread burning easily and bow seemed like a better heal. Now what should I pick? Longer duration or not destroying it on command. I have no leeway room for both.

    I went with not destroying because of how often I would actually be using command.

    I just feel like dropping bow though for merciless intervention. Combined that (free teleport to lowest health allied) with mace/shield combo. That's an extremely good combination to use.

    Last edited by zito; 2012-03-08 at 11:55 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  9. #209
    See now I came up with another questions >:P

    If I am a heavy burner with spirit weapons - will a remove condition remove the whole stack, or just a portion of the stack. I mean if I build up this huge duration of flame on one guy, does he just have to purge once to get rid of all of them... if so that is realllllllly stupid.....

  10. #210
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post
    See now I came up with another questions >:P

    If I am a heavy burner with spirit weapons - will a remove condition remove the whole stack, or just a portion of the stack. I mean if I build up this huge duration of flame on one guy, does he just have to purge once to get rid of all of them... if so that is realllllllly stupid.....
    Understand that abilities with condition removals tend to have decently sized cooldowns. It's not like dispel in WoW which, until MoP comes out, has no CD.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  11. #211
    Also...

    I am in the camp that the second hammer ability for guardians should at least cripple... which would be awesome >:P

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'd love to see a guardian call out for people to get ready to cast AoE damage on him, so he can Blinding Blade people and then switch to a hammer and use Ring of Warding to lock them in.
    *drool*

    /10charr

  13. #213
    Herald of the Titans zcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The ass end of nowhere AKA Kansas.
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't keep up with this thread or Guardians at all, but it seems like they have very very weak ranged capabilities, and probably the worst of any profession.

    How much of an issue will this be?
    Guardians do have some medium ranged damage, but it is lower then other professions. Mainly because it also provides some healing to allies it passes through.

    That being said they shouldn't have any problems getting into melee, they have a ton of teleport effects, a leap attack with the great sword, an AOE death grip with the great sword & an ability called "Zealots Defense" with the 1 handed sword (it's on a low CD, blocks ranged attacks & sends out magical damage projectiles to your attackers).

    They also have a shitload of ways to remove conditions from themselves & allies as well as a few ways to increase run speed by 33%.

    Then if all else fails you can also use a build heavy on the retaliation boon (it reflects a % of all damage that would be done to you back at your attackers, some retaliation buffs also apply to every ally in range as well)

    So all in all the only time guardians will ever need to really use a ranged weapon is in PVE in those rare occasions when a boss is sitting on an unreachable area, & even then those are usually during add phases.
    (also if all else fails you can throw shit like rocks at the boss.)

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 12:53 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Understand that abilities with condition removals tend to have decently sized cooldowns. It's not like dispel in WoW which, until MoP comes out, has no CD.
    true, but unlike dispels in WOW it will be very easy to get multiple condition removers in GW2.

    For instance look at the signet of resolve & the abilities smite condition, contemplation of purity, bow of truth & the talents that cause shouts to remove all conditions.

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 12:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post
    See now I came up with another questions >:P

    If I am a heavy burner with spirit weapons - will a remove condition remove the whole stack, or just a portion of the stack. I mean if I build up this huge duration of flame on one guy, does he just have to purge once to get rid of all of them... if so that is realllllllly stupid.....
    The way that the burn condition currently works is that it's a very short duration (like a couple of seconds) medium damage per second DOT.
    When reapplied it simply stacks a few more seconds onto the duration, so even if dispelled you should be able to reapply it fairly easy with builds that specialize for it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 12:58 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'd love to see a guardian call out for people to get ready to cast AoE damage on him, so he can Blinding Blade people and then switch to a hammer and use Ring of Warding to lock them in.
    Lol that would be funny as hell.

    Also if allies aren't around he could also use a build that applies allot of retaliation boons.

    That would mean anybody stupid enough to attack him after being pulled in would just be damaging themselves.

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 01:13 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandrea View Post
    Also...

    I am in the camp that the second hammer ability for guardians should at least cripple... which would be awesome >:P
    Would be nice, though if it did the CD would need to be longer, say maybe around 12-15 seconds with a 10 second duration.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post

    Would be nice, though if it did the CD would need to be longer, say maybe around 12-15 seconds with a 10 second duration.
    I would totally go with that... not gonna lie we somewhat need some sort of slow with the melee weapons, because If I am not mistaking (not counting utility) we only have 3 leaps/blinks - 1 for 1h sword, 2 for 2h sword (leap and a deathgrip)... so having a cripple would be so nice!

  15. #215
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,031
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    true, but unlike dispels in WOW it will be very easy to get multiple condition removers in GW2.

    For instance look at the signet of resolve & the abilities smite condition, contemplation of purity, bow of truth & the talents that cause shouts to remove all conditions.
    Unlike in WoW, choosing more condition removals results in losing other utilities and bonuses.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  16. #216
    Herald of the Titans Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    True, I think the only place guardians will really have trouble is when they come across ranged enemies standing on top of things like buildings, keep walls etc because the teleport abilities we have seem to have trouble figuring out how to get us there. (however I do think the greatsword ability binding blade can be used to yank them off ledges etc... if they are in range )

    Those instances will be when builds that use retaliation really become useful.
    Yeah, i wasnt sure if I wanted to use a hammer or greatsword for my spec. I really felt like using the image of a WCIII pally with a warhammer though, the concept of hammer skills are nice, but greatswords will definitely shine in PVP for guardians.

    Doesnt matter to me anyways, i always love 2h swordfighting, its the reason i wanted to play a Pally in the first place. (Arthas, always my favorite unit with wielding frostmourne)
    And should he be a prophet of It's coming, he shall be cast out by his kin and his peers, for they cannot comprehend and fear the end of the corrupt empire. - Unknown, 3/1/2012
    I am Lothaeryn, Dragonborn of Nirn and Paladin of Azeroth. Hear my voice and tremble... Bask in my radiance and be inspired...
    For I am the Hand of Dawn, and justice shall be done by my shout and by my blade.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'd love to see a guardian call out for people to get ready to cast AoE damage on him, so he can Blinding Blade people and then switch to a hammer and use Ring of Warding to lock them in.
    Holy fuck that sounds so boss

  18. #218
    Herald of the Titans zcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The ass end of nowhere AKA Kansas.
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Unlike in WoW, choosing more condition removals results in losing other utilities and bonuses.
    True, that's the great thing about this game. Depending on how you trait & what talents you chose each profession has a huge range of flexibility but make a choice, at the same time you could also have a very balanced build that wont be the absolute best at everything but can fill multiple roles depending on how it's equipped.


    However it is slightly less true when the off hand weapons are concerned. If your focused on Damage dealing & offense you can still do pretty good with a sword + torch combo while having allot of potential for removing conditions.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

  19. #219
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,031
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    However it is slightly less true when the off hand weapons are concerned. If your focused on Damage dealing & offense you can still do pretty good with a sword + torch combo while having allot of potential for removing conditions.
    There's plenty of utility you can choose from that isn't condition removal, including summoning spirit weapons, signets that instantly revive allies, an extra teleport, reflecting projectiles, etc etc.

    There is a LOT of condition removal, though, I will admit - I think Mesmers are going to hate Guardians.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikram View Post
    Holy fuck that sounds so boss
    I just hope people experiment with these kind of things. I know I will.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •