Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    Knight's gear isn't the best since it's primary stat is Toughness. If I was low on toughness, I would consider using some of it, but not go overboard. You want to have a decent balance of Toughness and Vitality. Toughness reduces direct damage you take and adds up over time, but Vitality lets you live longer against condition damage and has a more immediate impact. If you want to be more survivable, go heavier on toughness and vitality (look for "Soldier" items that have power, toughness, vitality such as the WvW gear). If you want damage, go with Berserker (power, precision, crit damage) or Explorer (power, precision, magic find) with maybe some Valkyrie (power, crit damage, vitality) if you need to boost vitality a bit.

So mixing say 2-3 pieces of Knight with 2-3 pieces of Beserker, maybe.

Will I miss not having any Condition Damage?

What about Jewellery?

Jewelry and runes/gems uses the exact same principles. If you want more damage get berserker stuff, if you want more vita get valkyrie, toughness go for knight. If you want both vit and toughness just mix knight and valkyrie.

The fact that toughness is primary on knight gear doesn't really matter to be honest, it just mean you would go for like 4 or 5 pieces of it instead of 6/6 and for last pieces go for something else (because you have enough toughness).

Right now however, the game is too new to really know what thresholds we should be aiming at (depending on the role and usage), so its just a matter of preference and having something that makes sense.

Also I agree with some that Condition Damage is not very interesting for most guardians, maybe a build doing lots of burn would use it but not sure if it would really be better than +Power or +Preci. However, until theorycraft shows up take this with caution.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-09-21 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It's just really strange design, because of Zeal. Why doesn't Sword, say, have a Symbol that applies Weakness to enemies and, say, also applies Aegis to allies? Zealot's Defense still feels awkward to me, even if it is useful.
    I could see a Scepter symbol applying Blind or maybe Chill.
    I was actually thinking this. Im currently using a Spirit Weapon specc with greatsword/sword&shield. While the lack of symbol doesnt make my specc useless it seems like a big design flaw to not have every weapon have atleast 1 symbol. It kind of our thing isnt it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    So mixing say 2-3 pieces of Knight with 2-3 pieces of Beserker, maybe.

Will I miss not having any Condition Damage?

What about Jewellery?
    Condition damage is very underrated. With no current way of mitigating condition damage it's a very powerful stat in sPvP and tPvP, especially against those who go overboard on the toughness. Keep in mind though that if you decide to grab some extra condition damage, you do so with a burn heavy build. Not just with 1 or 2 burns.

Okay, so on my Guardian, I went a little too heavy into toughness, and am lacking a bit of vitality. What Jewelry is there that has a primary Vit stat?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    Condition damage is very underrated. With no current way of mitigating condition damage it's a very powerful stat in sPvP and tPvP, especially against those who go overboard on the toughness. Keep in mind though that if you decide to grab some extra condition damage, you do so with a burn heavy build. Not just with 1 or 2 burns.
    The way you mitigate condition damage is with higher Vitality (compared to toughness) and condition removal. And I disagree that burn builds are good in sPvP or tPvP. Burning doesn't get you anything else like a poison and you can't' stack it to do a lot of damage in a short time like a bleed. Also, I believe burning scales the least with condition damage of the three damaging conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    Okay, so on my Guardian, I went a little too heavy into toughness, and am lacking a bit of vitality. What Jewelry is there that has a primary Vit stat?
    There isn't. For offense, Valkyrie is Power/Crit dmg/Vitality. Personally, my plan is to go with Power/Toughness/Vit items as a base and then fill in the rest with berserker or explorer items.

Deleted
    So what rune are you guys going with at the moment? I don't really know what kind of rune I should go with, so I'm going with this one.

Superior Rune of the Fire (6/6)
    (1): +25 Power
    (2): +20% Might Duration
    (3): +50 Power
    (4): 5% chance to gain might for 20 seconds when hit. (Cooldown: 5s)
    (5): 90+ Power
    (6): Gain a fire aura for 5 seconds when you fall below 80% health. (Cooldown: 90s)

I will try to find something better, not really interested in the fire aura for 5 seconds since I can already create that one myself, if I ''cross-profession'' combo myself that is.

Any suggestions? Price does not matter, tell me a good one. I'm basically going with Greatsword/Justice reset build at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it weird to give a fire aura a 90-second cooldown, when it's merely glorified retaliation...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Screw the runes, Ruby Orbs x6 cause I'm a boss.

Hey guys, after messing around with Elementalist and Warrior I decided to play a Guardian. I like the playstyle but I'm having trouble deciding on a build/trait distribution/weapon skill rotation. I started with sword and shield, then to two handed hammer, and now currently playing around with the greatsword.

I tried looking through this thread for a solo pve levelling/survivability build but can only find bits and pieces in the discussions. And googling a build is iffy because most are from beta.

Thanks for the help guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I tried looking through this thread for a solo pve levelling/survivability build
    Eh. I went Greatsword and jumped down the Honor line. I don't really ever stick to just one specific trait build.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Outside of sPvP, I'm definitely getting the impression that runes are useless compared to gems. The only time I'd consider runes is stacking a single stat or if the effect outweighed the greater raw stats of a gem.

@Eiserne Drossel
    You probably want Rune of Strength. The 6 rune bonus is +5% damage while under the effects of Might.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna lie, most runes are underwhelming.

Hmmn... really? Orbs > Runes... been wondering about that a lot. Since they are infinitely cheaper.

If you have 6 orbs (20/14/14), then you have +120 to the orb's primary stat and +84 to each of two secondary stats. A superior rune gives +165 to its primary stat (almost all give a status bonus at odd counts). So you have to ask yourself if the even abilities are good enough to overcome the extra stats. The answer to that is "maybe". But if you look at exquisite jewels (25/15/15), you would need to overcome +150 to the primary and +90 to each of the secondary stats.

This is mostly a problem with guardians not getting a good benefit from many of the runes or many of the runes having a lackluster 4 point. I'd quickly use 6x Rune of the Forge over jewels, but that seems to be sPvP only. If I wanted damage, I'd go with 6x Rune of Strength for example, but that's only really reliable in PvE and guardians have few sources of might.

Was thinking that Soldier or Dolyak for the Vitality or Toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I tried looking through this thread for a solo pve levelling/survivability build but can only find bits and pieces in the discussions. And googling a build is iffy because most are from beta.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Currently level 71, doing the sword and board thing for solo, and staff for DE's and group situations. My gear is split about 40/60 between damage and survivability-healpower. Traits are 10 / 0 / 20 / 30 / 0, using shield and spirit weapon buffs, and 2 hander / symbol buffs from the honor line. I'm pretty hard to kill in PvE at this point, though I don't exactly mow down mobs in record time either.

But as far as prior leveling went, I was all over the map, and still may switch back to greatsword at 80, depending on how things feel. The only 2 constants I can actually give about the class was that a) staff has been, and probably will be, always my go-to secondary, and b) mace just doesn't feel fun or interesting as a main hand weapon, no matter what it's paired with.

YMMV.

There seems to be a real design flaw with the guardian, where once your class spells run out you are incredibly vulnerable. And the cd's are such that they run out. This is problematic for dungeons and pvp. It just does not feel as tanky as advertised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    There seems to be a real design flaw with the guardian, where once your class spells run out you are incredibly vulnerable. And the cooldowns are such that they run out. This is problematic for dungeons and PvP. It just does not feel as tanky as advertised.
    With "class skils", do you mean Virtues?
    I'm not sure I agree (if that's the case). Virtue of Justice does little to your survivability, unless you trait it, and in that case, you'll live longer if you do activate it (and it has a pretty low cooldown, compared to the other two). Virtue of Courage has a pretty long cooldown, but if you time it right, it's a pretty powerful activation. Virtue of Resolve generally isn't worth activating, as it is a general loss of survivability if you lose the HoT. It's the only one I really miss when it's on cooldown. I only really activate right before using Renewed Focus.

And I disagree with "not as tanky as advertised." You can't really get more tanky than a Guardian without becoming too good at surviving.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    With "class skils", do you mean Virtues?
    I'm not sure I agree (if that's the case). Virtue of Justice does little to your survivability, unless you trait it, and in that case, you'll live longer if you do activate it (and it has a pretty low cooldown, compared to the other two). Virtue of Courage has a pretty long cooldown, but if you time it right, it's a pretty powerful activation. Virtue of Resolve generally isn't worth activating, as it is a general loss of survivability if you lose the HoT. It's the only one I really miss when it's on cooldown. I only really activate right before using Renewed Focus.

And I disagree with "not as tanky as advertised." You can't really get more tanky than a Guardian without becoming too good at surviving.
    I am talking about the 6-10 skills. In spvp once they run out you are dead. Dungeon, similar, in fact one of your main means of avoiding damage, blinds, don't even work on the bosses.
    Last edited by solarbear; 2012-09-29 at 11:59 PM.