Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually liked the Staff. The [2] ability could use some work and the other abilities would benefit from some tweaking, but overall it's a fine weapon. And I used in Structured PvP, WvWvW and PvE.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I'm just concerned that we'll be a tad useless on sieges unless they give us some actual viable ranged options. But let's see if they change anything for the next BWE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anybody else get to try out the two Intervention skills in BWE1? Were they affected by traits like Focused Mind and Meditation Mastery?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Did anybody else get to try out the two Intervention skills in BWE1? Were they affected by traits like Focused Mind and Meditation Mastery?
    Worked for Judge's Intervention.

EDIT: To add, their in-game tooltips were preceded by their skill "category", e.g. Meditation, Consecration, Signet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    I'm just concerned that we'll be a tad useless on sieges unless they give us some actual viable ranged options. But let's see if they change anything for the next BWE.
    "a tad" is a understatement...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojimaru View Post
    Worked for Judge's Intervention.

EDIT: To add, their in-game tooltips were preceded by their skill "category", e.g. Meditation, Consecration, Signet, etc.
    Yeah, it worked for Judge's Intervention, didn't try the other one to be fair.

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 07:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BrianV View Post
    "a tad" is a understatement...
    I agree, but I prefer not to judge an entire profession by a few hours of playing over the weekend. Besides, I expect quite alot of changes before release, so i'm just waiting to see what they do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    We are useless. Played quite a few keep battles, we are good once the doors go down, but you may as well just go /afk until they do. you cant go close because of massive aoe dmg, your utility skills are short length long cd so not engaging in keep warfare, and your scepter is just not long range enough to combat people from or to walls.
    We are indeed useless until the gate goes down, but this is how I tried to contribute during a siege.
    • Use the first attack on the mace in order to keep the other players bashing the gate alive longer. Combine with the other Mace skills for nice longevity.
    • Put defensive shields around the ranged shooting the people on the walls.
    • Lay down Symbols so ranged can do more damage.
    It's not much you can do, but it's something. Problem is that just mashing the door nets just as much, if not more, contribution. So putting your [1] on autocast and just go and have a drink is much more interesting.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    We are indeed useless until the gate goes down, but this is how I tried to contribute during a siege.
    • Use the first attack on the mace in order to keep the other players bashing the gate alive longer. Combine with the other Mace skills for nice longevity.
    • Put defensive shields around the ranged shooting the people on the walls.
    • Lay down Symbols so ranged can do more damage.
    It's not much you can do, but it's something. Problem is that just mashing the door nets just as much, if not more, contribution. So putting your [1] on autocast and just go and have a drink is much more interesting.
    It's definetly a problem then, glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Very curious to see what they give us, if anything at all, to be more of an asset to sieging keeps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    It's definitely a problem then, glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Very curious to see what they give us, if anything at all, to be more of an asset to sieging keeps.
    Yeah, it's not just you. On the official forum it was the biggest Guardian thread of all. A Dev posted in it that this was something they would be looking out for.
    This can mean that they're looking to tweak our existing skills, give us a new weapon or new skills, or that they'll decide that it's part of the Guardian identity. I'm very curious to the next beta.

We can't even mash the door, you'll die in seconds to stacked aoe, and we can't use the scepter because at 900 range its well within the range of people on the walls so you get nuked down quick as you have to stand far forward. Plus the scepter projectiles are really slow and travel along the ground, so differences in height, say a keep wall for instance, mess them up something rotten.
    I had no problem with bashing the door without dying, even in the biggest battles. It could just be the server I was playing though.

And if they give us a new weapon for ranged, I'm still voting Rifle.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2012-05-08 at 05:42 PM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    And if they give us a new weapon for ranged, I'm still voting Rifle.
    Ooooh, a rifle that shoots magic fire....

TBH, I think every profession should get an extra weapon or two, some of the restrictions are a little TOO restricting, and I find myself thinking that they did it primarily so in a future expansion they can lift some restrictions. It's a conspiracy I tell you.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I like scepters, but they are not keep warfare weapons. We need a long range option, my vote is for longbow with glowy blue guardian magic arrows
    Would love for this to happen but i remember reading a Anet post on the beta forums that they were definitely going to look into longer ranged weapons/skills for guardians so the only thing we can hope is for them to stay true to that!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Ooooh, a rifle that shoots magic fire....

TBH, I think every profession should get an extra weapon or two, some of the restrictions are a little TOO restricting, and I find myself thinking that they did it primarily so in a future expansion they can lift some restrictions. It's a conspiracy I tell you.
    I'd definitely roll a guardian if I could shoot a gun with blue fire.

As for the lack of weapons, yea some professions are really lacking, hopefully they add more in expansions. Guardians really do seem to need something more, perhaps reworking the staff's main nuke.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post

As for the lack of weapons, yea some professions are really lacking, hopefully they add more in expansions. Guardians really do seem to need something more, perhaps reworking the staff's main nuke.
    Yeah ... a lot of this. I was kind of surprised to see them hand me this when I entered PvP for the first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post

I don't think the Guardian actually needs extra weapons. It would be cool to have a Rifle, but changing the Scepter would also work perfectly.
    I personally like the Staff a lot (but it needs minor tweaks), so I'm pretty opposed to changing the actual skills.

What kind of skills could a Rifle have?
    [1] Long range attack that deals extra damage to burning foes.
    [2] Long range attack that applies burning.
    [3] A symbol of some kind, maybe one that gives Vigor, or else another one that gives Protection, since the one on the Hammer is somewhat unreliable.
    [4] A medium range shotgun-like attack that also heals allies
    [5] A gap closer so the Rifle has some synergy with the other weapons. Maybe something like: fire a blinding bullet at your enemy, followed by a teleport.

Quote Originally Posted by Refmo View Post
    Yeah ... a lot of this. I was kind of surprised to see them hand me this when I entered PvP for the first time.
    The Staff is actually a really good weapon, with the right build. I used it a lot in both Structured and World PvP.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Staff is too short range for keep warfare..
    And I'll never say otherwise. For everything else it's great, though.

And I like the scepter as it is thanks. its a nice midrange weapon with interesting abilities which synergize well with the off hands.

If you make it long range it does not sit well with the offhand weapons, so limiting your options at longer range brackets.
    I think this is a big problem in this discussion. People who like the Staff want the Scepter to change to the long-range option and people who like the Scepter want the Staff to become the long-range weapon.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

The Staff is actually a really good weapon, with the right build. I used it a lot in both Structured and World PvP.
    It seemed really situational. Then again I pvp'd for about 30 minutes, not enough for me to really spew off the mouth, haha. I'm interested in the discussion though! The Guardian is all I played during the BWE, and probably what I"ll be rolling with come live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Refmo View Post
    It seemed really situational. Then again I pvp'd for about 30 minutes, not enough for me to really spew off the mouth, haha. I'm interested in the discussion though! The Guardian is all I played during the BWE, and probably what I"ll be rolling with come live.
    I played a very defensive and supportive build during most of the Beta Weekend. My weapon load-out was a Staff and a Mace/Shield. Here's how I used the Staff.

Structured PvP:
    [1] The range on this attack is actually fairly reasonable, especially considering the area it encompasses. When fighting more than one opponent (quite often, since I mostly defended- or assaulted- points on my own) it does a fair amount of damage.
    [2] This one is good for chasing ranged that are running away (if Judge's Intervention isn't on cooldown). Just don't let them explode in that case. If you're in a big group (both allies and enemies) you can let it explode for extra damage and some healing.
    [3] Useful for both quickly getting to points to capture/defend and for chasing people. Just put the symbol slightly behind them, so they get a tick of damage, and you get you Swiftness.
    [4] Most capture points have only a couple of access ways. Being able to shut down one of them for a few seconds, is very valuable. I do think this attack shouldn't have a cast time and should be ground-targetable.
    [5] Always useful. If you're fighting alone the shit-ton of boons will make you a lot stronger. If you're fighting with an ally, you get all the boons, and your ally loses a condition. (Good combo with Smite Conditions as well, but I didn't use that in PvP.)

WvWvW
    [1] Hitting people through the gate (which is probably a bug), hitting the gate or just burning down big groups, this is a good attack for that.
    [2] I uses this mostly to heal the people attacking the gate, but you can get the occasional stray Ranger with it. Overall this is probably the weakest skill on the Staff.
    [3] This is a great skill to lead an assault. It can also be used on those Drovyak (the beasts of burden) for faster supplies, but that really not that great.
    [4] Hard to use because of the cast time (actually animation time - by the time you've done your: "You shall not pass!"-move, they've already passed), but it can be used to stop people from flanking you, or prevent people from running back through the portal.
    [5] Can be uses exactly as described above, but now you have more chance to snag a condition of someone.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I played a very defensive and supportive build during most of the Beta Weekend. My weapon load-out was a Staff and a Mace/Shield. Here's how I used the Staff.

Structured PvP:
    [1] The range on this attack is actually fairly reasonable, especially considering the area it encompasses. When fighting more than one opponent (quite often, since I mostly defended- or assaulted- points on my own) it does a fair amount of damage.
    [2] This one is good for chasing ranged that are running away (if Judge's Intervention isn't on cooldown). Just don't let them explode in that case. If you're in a big group (both allies and enemies) you can let it explode for extra damage and some healing.
    [3] Useful for both quickly getting to points to capture/defend and for chasing people. Just put the symbol slightly behind them, so they get a tick of damage, and you get you Swiftness.
    [4] Most capture points have only a couple of access ways. Being able to shut down one of them for a few seconds, is very valuable. I do think this attack shouldn't have a cast time and should be ground-targetable.
    [5] Always useful. If you're fighting alone the shit-ton of boons will make you a lot stronger. If you're fighting with an ally, you get all the boons, and your ally loses a condition. (Good combo with Smite Conditions as well, but I didn't use that in PvP.)

WvWvW
    [1] Hitting people through the gate (which is probably a bug), hitting the gate or just burning down big groups, this is a good attack for that.
    [2] I uses this mostly to heal the people attacking the gate, but you can get the occasional stray Ranger with it. Overall this is probably the weakest skill on the Staff.
    [3] This is a great skill to lead an assault. It can also be used on those Drovyak (the beasts of burden) for faster supplies, but that really not that great.
    [4] Hard to use because of the cast time (actually animation time - by the time you've done your: "You shall not pass!"-move, they've already passed), but it can be used to stop people from flanking you, or prevent people from running back through the portal.
    [5] Can be uses exactly as described above, but now you have more chance to snag a condition of someone.
    From what I played with the staff, I'd definetly agree with making the 4 ability instant, and ground targettable.

I don't think the Guardian needs more weapons at all - it has plenty, a good variety. If any classes need more weapons, its Engineer (non-kit weapons), Thief, and potentially Necromancer.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    I don't think the Guardian needs more weapons at all - it has plenty, a good variety. If any classes need more weapons, its Engineer (non-kit weapons), Thief, and potentially Necromancer.
    I can't think of a weapon that would fit the Engineer. I played both Thief and Necromancer a little bit and they got all their bases pretty much covered. They can do condition-, support-, AoE- and direct damage-builds with little problem. None of them have problems fighting either at close or long range.
    The reason we want an extra weapon is because we are severely lacking in one area.
    Resurrected Holy Priest