Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I have this inkling feeling...

The more I follow D3 development the more I get the feeling they are delaying it to clash with gw2 release. especially now with q2 release and rumored may-june release date.

I know a lot of you will say those are two different type of games, there is no danger. But I strongly believe that argument has no place really. Blizz has suffered a lot lately with their wow subs going down, they know gw2 will be major player and its bringing alot of innovation to mmo sceene.

Even though D3 is diff type of game to GW2 - the anticipation for D3 is almost as big as it is for gw2. The point I am trying to make is that - both games will need quite an investment of time and both games to an extent appeal same player (even though 2 diff game types). I fear Blizz is stalling to see what happens to gw2 and is trying to strategically place D3 release so that it would dampen the gw2.... I mean these are the only 2 big titles that imho are people awaiting these days and have been awaiting for age...

what you think?
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

10+ Year Old Account
    I strongly believe that these two games are going to succeed in their respective genres. People can play both. There's no sub fee restricting them from choosing. If someone is a strong blizzard supporter but has lost his interest in WoW, he can buy GW2 for a cheery 60 bucks and still be his fanboy self with Diablo 3. It might split the time dedicated to each game but I doubt sales will take a huge dip.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

It's a possibility but D3 has some issues currently with the game. It could potentially not come out until December though. Both games will be successful, obviously D3 is going to be a blockbuster title but GW2 will be a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought blizz did this stuff normally. putting out major content patches (or new games) just before other releases to bend them their way. Its a good buisness practice, sleezy, but thats buisness.

personally. I would like this to happen. would take away a few less dedicated and more whimsy (read qq trolling twats who need to be killed with fire) away from GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. I also find humor in the fact they are trying to defeat Mike O'Brien's new hotness with his same old same old.

Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    I strongly believe that these two games are going to succeed in their respective genres. People can play both. There's no sub fee restricting them from choosing. If someone is a strong blizzard supporter but has lost his interest in WoW, he can buy GW2 for a cheery 60 bucks and still be his fanboy self with Diablo 3. It might split the time dedicated to each game but I doubt sales will take a huge dip.
    maybe, but still it be investment of 120 bucks within short period of time can be quite a lot for few and then people usually will play one over in initial stages. This can potentially force people to decide one over other, where as if there would be sufficient time in between them 1 month + then it would not be such a big issue.

One can say, they can buy the game and play later, but that is besides the point - the over all player base would suffer and surely noone would like that to be the case for gw2
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    Blizz has suffered a lot lately with their wow subs going down
    I hate to nitpick, but what I think is that Blizz is not suffering. Subscription fees aren't their biggest source of profit, so it's likely not a big deal to them.

More on-topic: Not going to be a problem. People interested in both games will buy both games, as they are a completely different gaming style. D3 is completely hack-n-slash, mindless slaughter of hordes of enemies. GW2 is more strategic than that.

Anyways, that's the beauty of NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE: You can play both.
    Example: I bought both Skyrim and the Assassin's Creed games, and when I got bored of one, I would hop into the other.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Plenty of people have been following both games for a while and already know whether they're going to buy it or not, I don't see the release date changing a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the annual pass, I am getting D3 for free so I am not too worried. If anything, I will just not be playing WoW as much. Or any other game besides those two. While I want ONE to come out before the other, as long as they both come out before MoP, I will be happy.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I hate to nitpick, but what I think is that Blizz is not suffering. Subscription fees aren't their biggest source of profit, so it's likely not a big deal to them.

More on-topic: Not going to be a problem. People interested in both games will buy both games, as they are a completely different gaming style.
    D3 is completely hack-n-slash, mindless slaughter of hordes of enemies.
    GW2 is more strategic than that.
    What I mean't is that they have lost players, didn't mean income or profit (I don't know whether they have suffered proffit wise) and gw2 will surely take a good chunk of more players out of their player base

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely wouldn't put it past them.

I don't know about anyone else but considering I don't have to pay a subscription, I see no reason why the fact that I am going to play GW2 would remove me from the WoW player base.
    I can pretty easily afford my WOW subscription + £0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but considering I don't have to pay a subscription, I see no reason why the fact that I am going to play GW2 would remove me from the WoW player base.
    Would you keep your wow subscription running if you spent all your game time in GW2 though?

More on-topic: Not going to be a problem. People interested in both games will buy both games, as they are a completely different gaming style. D3 is completely hack-n-slash, mindless slaughter of hordes of enemies. GW2 is more strategic than that.

Anyways, that's the beauty of NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE: You can play both.
    Example: I bought both Skyrim and the Assassin's Creed games, and when I got bored of one, I would hop into the other.
    I know they are 2 diff games (as I said before) - but say gw2 is released on 10th and d3 released on 5th - the gw2 might not get as many people simply cause a lot of them are still enjoying d3. So initial stage would suffer.

But I also just thought - it COULD very easily work both ways as in gw2 will make d3 number shrink - so maybe if the game is too good - blizz won't try to put it near gw2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Would you keep your wow subscription running if you spent all your game time in GW2 though?
    If you are on the annual pass you don't really have a choice :P Once it is up, I might actually cancel WoW however.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post
    What I mean't is that they have lost players, didn't mean income or profit (I don't know whether they have suffered proffit wise) and gw2 will surely take a good chunk of more players out of their player base
    I don't see that as a bad thing, either. I just don't like the idea that they're "suffering" because of losing subs. The game is still a good game, there's just more and more games out there to choose from. Frankly, I think Blizzard could benefit from having more competition out there, challenging the quality of their game.

So long as there's no subscription fee on a game, the only thing preventing you from playing it in addition to other games is time constraints, which is entirely up to the individual player.

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 08:00 PM ----------

I would, because I'm not going to spend ALL my time in GW2. I may or may not be ADD, but I know I tend to get bored of playing just one game for hours on end, so I'll get the urge to go do something else. Which typically means.. playing a different game. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Huumm......there was a certain well known quote from a certain ausra enthusiast on this forum that would be an appropriate reply to this

10+ Year Old Account
    I would, because I'm not going to spend ALL my time in GW2. I may or may not be ADD, but I know I tend to get bored of playing just one game for hours on end, so I'll get the urge to go do something else. Which typically means.. playing a different game. O_o
    I couldn't imagine going back to wow after playing GW2. You'd see all of it's flaws even more-so. I would anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't imagine going back to wow after playing GW2. You'd see all of it's flaws even more-so. I would anyway.
    Oh, I already see all of it's flaws, but I also see a completely different kind of gameplay that I can, sometimes, find enjoyable.

In my case, I just was so focused on WoW and raiding that I got burned out.

This again?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ghlight=diablo

^^ covered. Also the notion is absurd. Blizzard are a powerhouse on scale few companies can realistically compete with in recognition, branding, marketing and sheer $ reserves.

The pubs/devs playing on Blizzard's level in this industry are like... Electronic Arts and Nintendo.