View Poll Results: What would YOU do if civilization got knocked back to pre-gunpowder?

Voters
217. This poll is closed
  • Lead peaceful life with a few others or alone

80 36.87%
  • Lead peaceful life with many other people

33 15.21%
  • Join a warlord's army

18 8.29%
  • Become a warlord and start an army

64 29.49%
  • Die from despair

15 6.91%
  • Commit suicide

7 3.23%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get a really really really big sword and change my name to Garrett Hawke.

Putin khuliyo

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I'd answer but, whats the logic behind gunpowder not working? I can't answer unless it makes sense.

I can understand electronics not working if everything got EMP'd or something but gunpowder is chemical.... Batteries are chemical as well. Things like that don't just stop working, it would require changing the laws of physics (as you said, but you didn't make that addition until later, AFTER I made this post, this is an edit), which literally can't happen.
    we'll say the Earth was hit with something from space, either natural or not, that caused ALL the sulfur on the planet to become phosphorus, and all the lead on the planet to become thallium, and all the zinc to become copper.

there, that takes care of the battery and gunpowder issues.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    we'll say the Earth was hit with something from space, either natural or not, that caused ALL the sulfur on the planet to become phosphorus, and all the lead on the planet to become thallium, and all the zinc to become copper.

there, that takes care of the battery and gunpowder issues.
    Nickel metal hydride batteries?

10+ Year Old Account
    Make lemonade.

Deleted
    If we still retained all cultural and moral development from beyond that point then I would be okay. I'd struggle but I'd try make it work. If the zeitgeist, however, shifted back to thinking and behaving as if it were the 1300s or further back, I would probably die from despair, but then again, I don't suppose I would be aware of everything that I was missing from the 'future'.

Well I work in the Tech Field, so I would need a new job. But I'm also starting a course on Blacksmithing soon (Don't look at me like that, its a good work out) and most of my family are farmers, so... I would adopt a stance of peaceful co-existance, while building defensive walls and training people in violence just in case.

I actually had a dream like this once, one of the world powers invented a device that fused all metal/plastic together into heaps of slag, so pretty much everything/anything melted, and without a tech base of factories and whatnot, you aren't going to be able to keep your high-tech stuff going.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Hide from the churches
    ..and the priests.. "shudder"
    jk

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Eletastic View Post
    I prefer blades over guns anyway =)

But no internet = no life. I would die of insanity.
    maybe you can rp your way through life like it was an mmorpg and have adventures XD

10+ Year Old Account
    My army would be known as the "Party Penguins" we'd mark the places we were going to attack with a drawing of a penguin's skull with a party hat on in our enemies blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    do solar panels count as batteries or electrical devices?
    if they dont work either i would make an army and start a world conquest campaign til peace is achieved
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-02-27 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    do solar panels count as batteries or electrical devices?
    Electrical Devices since the energy collected is not stored in the panels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Electrical Devices since the energy collected is not stored in the panels.
    but if you dont store the energy and only use it to instantly power other devices then they just act as an energy source

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending if I had the medicine I need, I might not live for as long as others. I will probably live a peaceful life with my fiance and enjoy myself while I can. Thought I am sure once I am gone she will try to take over the world.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    but if you dont store the energy and only use it to instantly power other devices then they just act as an energy source
    So is a nuclear reactor and the Hoover Dam, since if you use the energy to instantly power other devices they act as an energy source.

I'm not sure how it even matters to the discussion since OP listed no electrical devices and no batteries would work :P

Lots of warlords. It looks like sellswords like myself would make a killing! Law of supply and demand!

I voted to become a Warlord, but on second thought I'd like to be a templar or some other warrior of the church. Maybe an assassin, or merc. Already good with bows and swords, so I'm half way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargon View Post
    Lots of warlords. It looks like sellswords like myself would make a killing! Law of supply and demand!
    I don't need to hire mercenaries if I'm an extremely charismatic warlord who can convince a horde of scared, lost, and starving people that I'm Jesus's Great-great-great grandon's counsin ten times removed and that joining my fanatical peasant army will provide them with food and a purpose. xD

In all honesty, I would try and style myself more as an Italian nobleman from the 1300s to 1400s rather than a viking raider. It's better to have power, money, and class than just raw power.

i'd be thrilled. my life needs some adventure.

Deleted
    I would start my own cult, make it to become accepted (= religion), and become very rich. Something with Xena and Xenu.

No actually I wouldn't. I'd fight the personae who'd start these cults. Because with a lack of science we'd fall back to these types of fear-mongering and other fallacy-based bollocks.

I'd probably end up in prison, or weighted like the witches were once in the Middle Ages in Europe. Either way, I'd find peace in that situation thanks to the teachings of L. RON HUBBA I mean my own teachings of course.

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 08:04 AM ----------

On a second note, finally World of Warcraft IRL!

Deleted
    It would be rather interesting to live in a time like that.

Anyway, you didn't specify if you still had memory of all the technology or not. Because I would certainly become a scientist and try to bring us up to speed again. If nobody had any memory of the technology, I would just become some soldier fighting for a better life for my loved ones.

But none of the options on the poll really fit my description so I didn't choose any.