Thread: Minecraft help

Minecraft help

I tried to download a mod from planetminecraft and when I tried to copy the downloaded files to minecraft.jar like it told me to, I only copied some of them and lost the others, so I tried to remove all of the downloaded files completely and start over. I might have, but I might have missed some because I forgot their names. Regardless, now when I try to play Minecraft a "Updating Minecraft" screen comes up and it says "Done Loading" but with a little bit of space left on the loading bar. It will not go past this point and go to the minecraft screen so I can play. It's frozen.

I'm sure you can tell I'm out of my field of expertise with computer stuff, I am hopelessly lost. So help me as you would try to help someone who has little experience with this type of thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    delete the minecraft.jar, start minecraft.exe, automatically get a fresh,clean updated install through the launcher, try to patch again with mod

Deleted minecraft.jar but when I tried to start minecraft.exe (after I logged in) the frozen updating minecraft screen still showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashydan View Post
    delete the minecraft.jar, start minecraft.exe, automatically get a fresh,clean updated install through the launcher, try to patch again with mod
    Deleted minecraft.jar, but when I clicked on minecraft.exe (and logged in) the same frozen "updating minecraft" screen came up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animedork27 View Post
    I tried to download a mod from planetminecraft and when I tried to copy the downloaded files to minecraft.jar like it told me to, I only copied some of them and lost the others, so I tried to remove all of the downloaded files completely and start over. I might have, but I might have missed some because I forgot their names. Regardless, now when I try to play Minecraft a "Updating Minecraft" screen comes up and it says "Done Loading" but with a little bit of space left on the loading bar. It will not go past this point and go to the minecraft screen so I can play. It's frozen.

I'm sure you can tell I'm out of my field of expertise with computer stuff, I am hopelessly lost. So help me as you would try to help someone who has little experience with this type of thing.
    If you'd like to save your existing worlds, move your saves (I've never bothered saving my worlds so I don't know which folder they're in) out of your .minecraft folder, and then delete the entire .minecraft folder. Connect to Minecraft.net and have it download you a fresh install.

After that, get the Magic Launcher from http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-options-news/ and launch Minecraft via the Magic Launcher. You can save it anywhere and launch it from anywhere.

If you go into Setup, you can select which mods you'd like to load when you launch Minecraft. Simply select the mod's archive file (.zip, .rar, .7z, etc) and click Okay. Magic Launcher will inform you if there are any conflicts - so if your mod requires, say, ModLoader or another API, you need to make sure you get that first (most mod authors will include a link to any APIs required for the mod's operation.)

After that, just use the Login button to fire up Minecraft and enjoy. Magic Launcher removes the need to edit your minecraft.jar or do anything else like that - it loads the mods on the fly without editing the game's files, and if you get into modding, you can also save specific mod setups, which makes it really handy if you want to have multiple saves that are each using a different suite of mods.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Try going into options before logging in and forcing it to update this should replace the missing .jar. As a heads up it's always advisable to make a backup of the .jar file just in case a mod doesn't work correctly as removing added files to it tend to cause issues.

Also make sure to delete the meta.inf folder inside the .jar zip if you don't then you will get the black screen when trying to load mods.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2012-02-27 at 08:43 AM.

You could try deleting your "bin" folder inside the minecraft folder and then putting the mod back in the way you have been told to put it in etc. (just remember you cant just copy and paste the mod into your minecraft folder sadly its not as easy as wow or rift to apply mods)

I hope this helps

P.s %appdata% in the bar up the top when you are in your "my computer" will get you to your minecraft folder quickly (NO idea how to get there is you have a mac >.>)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Try going into options before logging in and forcing it to update this should replace the missing .jar. As a heads up it's always advisable to make a backup of the .jar file just in case a mod doesn't work correctly as removing added files to it tend to cause issues.

Also make sure to delete the meta.inf folder inside the .jar zip if you don't then you will get the black screen when trying to load mods.
    Just use Magic Launcher now. There's no reason to fiddle with your minecraft.jar now. A couple of mods that I'm aware of have to be installed a different way, but they're a very specific type of mod and the only ones I've seen are the Water Shader Alpha mod and GLSL Shaders mod, and that's because they require you to install files into many places, not just edit the minecraft.jar.

Any mod which simply requires you to edit minecraft.jar should work fine via Magic Launcher.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow