Marathon Runners? I am looking for some advice.

Hey guys, I having been running constantly for about 7 years. It began as a weight loss exercise, but I eventually reached my goal. My running schedule is so far ingrained in me that I can't stop or else I feel guilty. I run twice per day about 4 each time. It takes me about 30 minutes to accomplish this. This is on top of playing basketball with my buddies regularly and lifting weights. I run about 45 miles per week. I often think of running a marathon, but I really don't know that I can do it. I run 10ks for speed and I clock about a 6:50/mile pace, but a marathon is a different beast entirely. I feel if I control my pace to about 9-10 minutes per mile, I have a shot with my adrenaline pumping like it does when I run races. I really want to see if I can do it, but I am kind of scared.

If there is anyone here that has ever ran one, could you let me know your running experience prior to it? What was the farthest you ever ran in one sitting? I am not concerned with finishing fast, just finishing. I am a young guy, so I have plenty of energy. I don't feel like there is a better point in my life to attempt this. I will soon be graduating from college with a full time job and more commitments. There is a marathon in my hometown coming up in May.

I completely agree with you. Great time to do it! I have run a half marathon and am training for a full marathon. I know many people who run full marathons and, several crazy people who prefer them to the half. Most people I know who have accomplished one have similar times to you. You are in shape and determined so you should have no problem finishing. I think a 9-10 min goal would be good for you. Carb load for about 4 days before the race. You will be surprised how your body responds to a long run like that. Once you get a pace going, you will be motivated to finish and it won't seem as long and monotonous as you would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely start with a half marathon, then move to a 25 or 30K then finally go to a full marathon.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke