10+ Year Old Account

Question [Newb Question] A question regarding the professions and ablities

One of my friends gave me a Key and Time code for Tor and ive quite enjoyed it so far, however im stuck pondering a question or so.

With TORs professions, i chose Diplomacy with Biochem with Bioanalysis.

I chose Diplomacy becuase i like to help people, however it recomended i go with Biochem and it recomended i go with Bioanalysis

So what exactly am i doing?

Also please dont be one of those types who need to be an asshole and be all pro like, Im just asking a question
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

With diplomacy your not actually helping anyone.

There are 3 types of professions

Crafting - Allowing you to craft items
    Gathering - Gathers basic components for crafting skills
    Mission - Allows you to send your companion away on missions for various items. Most mission professions allow your companion to obtain advanced components for various crafting skills. They can also be used to gather augments, lockboxes, companion gifts, random crafting missions and schematics etc... depending on the profession

In your case your crafting skill is Biochem, you get basics materials from Bioanalysis. If you want to make blue/purple (prototype/artifact) items you need advanced medial supplies, which is gotten by sending your companion on Diplomacy mission that offer medical supplies. Diplomacy will also allow you to send to send them out for companion gifts, and with diplomacy you get gain dark/light side points as well.

Do note you can have any combination of 3 professions, but are limited to only 1 crafting skill.

Diplomacy allows you to get some of the Blue/Epic items needed to craft most of the advanced biochem patterns. For example to make the first level reusable items you need alien blood samples which are epic items gained from diplomacy. You don't absolutely need diplomacy, since you can just buy the items you want on the GTN.

Biochem is still the best crew skill, mainly due to the reusable adrenals/stims (flasks)/medpack. They have made the exotech items 'better' in stats than these by a small margin, however the fact that you get infinite use items means you pretty much have a permanent trinket and flask stat bonus. Some of the other skills have decent perks like being able to make your Rakata trinkets with an augment slot, but generally top end pve/pvp gear is better than what you can make thats BoP.
    Last edited by Venant; 2012-02-27 at 07:44 AM.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically there is allways 1-2 usefull gathering professions per crafting professions. It´s not like a must to have them, but offcourse those will help, since you can gather the required mats yourself, instead of buying all the stuff from AH so that you can level up the crafting prosessions.

For example, i got cybertech, which allows you to make mods, earpieces etc. i got Scavenging, which allows me to cut metals from electric scraps in the planets, and then i got treasure hunting which allows the companieons to do missions which rewards blue/epic metals (which you can´t get with scavenging)

As many are stating, biochem is best end game profession atm, but with patch 1.2 there will be loads of revamps done to pretty much every prosession, so that is something to look at.
    Last edited by Darkhaus; 2012-02-27 at 08:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AS they've said, there are three kinds of crew skills: crafting, gathering, and mission. Diplomacy is a mission crew skill.

Each crew skill uses or gathers mats for some specific other crew skills. Usually, people pick the crafting skill they want, and choose gathering or mission skills based on that, but you could, if you wanted, take any of them (except for the one crafting skill per character rule).

As it happens, Diplomacy gathers the rarer materials for the Biochem skill. Bioanalysis gets the more common materials for Biochem. Thus, those three go together.

Here's a nice picture to make some sense of it. The middle ones are crafting skills, the ones on the right are mission skills, and the left ones are gathering skills. The lines tell you which go with which.

Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    Snip
    Guald, you have just explained to something in a sense that i can understand!

THANK YOU!

Now wheres that rep button?

Hmm So being a light side force user i should be doing:
    Archelogy > Artfice > Treasure Hunting

Right o

10+ Year Old Account
    light and dark side has nothing to do with crew skills. In fact only diplomacy has any impact on alignment, and you can find missions for both light and dark there.

As a force user, the only crafting skills you should really stay away from are Armormech and Armstech. The other four all have things that are useful - mods, off-hands, armor, adrenals and stims (potions and flasks from wow), etc. So long as you go with something that isn't for non-force users you should be fine.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    light and dark side has nothing to do with crew skills. In fact only diplomacy has any impact on alignment, and you can find missions for both light and dark there.

As a force user, the only crafting skills you should really stay away from are Armormech and Armstech. The other four all have things that are useful - mods, off-hands, armor, adrenals and stims (potions and flasks from wow), etc. So long as you go with something that isn't for non-force users you should be fine.
    ok i think i got ya