XFX 6870 HD 1GB loud fans!!

So I brought the XFX 6870 HD 1GB recently about 3-4 months ago now and the fans has always seemed quite loud is there anyway of reducing the fan speed if there is how?

Also because its very loud does that mean there is anything wrong or is my airflow bad?

Thanks in advance

First thing i would do is get a can of compressed air and blow in bursts all the dust out of the card and your whole build might as well.

Dust could be the factor in your gpu's fans having to work harder to keep it cool, do you have any temps you could throw at us?

I would go into w/e utility you use to control fan speeds etc. and see if you have it set to automatic of if it's set to a manual speed, that could also be your culprit.

Bad airflow/case can be your issue if it's always been loud.

Is your card a reference or aftermarket heat sink? It's a bit hard to quiet down a reference one, even so while gaming it will ramp up.
    Last edited by Joerge; 2012-02-27 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krillen View Post
    So I brought the XFX 6870 HD 1GB recently about 3-4 months ago now and the fans has always seemed quite loud is there anyway of reducing the fan speed if there is how?

Also because its very loud does that mean there is anything wrong or is my airflow bad?

Thanks in advance
    I also have an XFX 6870. At anything more than around 45%, it does get quite loud.

You can manually set the fan speed within Catalyst Control. I use MSI Afterburner to overclock and monitor my card, though. You can set custom fan speeds based on how hot the card gets.

-V