View Poll Results: What attempt did you pass on?

Voters
338. This poll is closed
  • 1st

235 69.53%
  • 2nd

60 17.75%
  • 3rd

21 6.21%
  • 4th

9 2.66%
  • 5th

1 0.30%
  • 6th

1 0.30%
  • 7th

1 0.30%
  • 8th

0 0%
  • Over 9

1 0.30%
  • Still not passed

9 2.66%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Practiced with my parents beforehand, first time on written, first time on driving.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I'm surprised there's actually votes for something that's not the first time. Unless the test involves more to it than when I took mine(In Florida), the teacher basically tells you how to do everything.
    D3 - Aggs 60 Barbarian | Paladin | Warlock | Shaman | Death Knight | Warrior |

Passed 1st time and 1st time on commercial license also written and driving. I did fail my doubles endorsement the first time, but I didnt study. Glad I got a local job and didnt need it anyway : )

Car: Passed the written and driving part on my first try, but I bumped a cone off of its "square" during the maneuverability part, went back the next week and passed just fine.

Motorcycle: First try.

Quote Originally Posted by pacapaca View Post
    Drove round the block once... How could one fail that? OP I hope you're in a country with a real driving test, unlike the US which is sign your name and pass...
    How many times have you taken a United State's license test? While it is true that the U.S. test is not as difficult as some other countries, there's much more to it than "signing your name"...

10+ Year Old Account
    Got it on my first try. All I had to do was parallel park and drive around a building.
    Originally Posted by Rygarius
    {◕ v ◕} <-- This is my happy emote.
    Paladin

is there a reason you keep failing? 6 tries is actually a lot in my book. granted it only took me one try for both written and behind the wheel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacapaca View Post
    Drove round the block once... How could one fail that? OP I hope you're in a country with a real driving test, unlike the US which is sign your name and pass...
    Hah! It took me three tries. Once because I was on a two lane one way street, with a van stopped in front of me and oncoming traffic in the other lane. The genius instructor dinged me for stopping (hello? van right in front of me and traffic in the other lane, you want me to crash or something?) The other because I didn't maintain a good speed going down hill (32 mph in a 25 mph zone, okay that one was my fault)
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    First, but it was a close one, second one would be pretty soverein. But 6th trys, don't you have time limits on it?

I passed on my second test. I got dinged pretty bad on the test for driving backwards looking in my mirror. (You're supposed to look behind you, of course).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    First, but it was a close one, second one would be pretty soverein. But 6th trys, don't you have time limits on it?
    In the US, you can take it until you pass.
    Putin khuliyo

1st time. I lost points for not knowing where my E-brake was...el oh el...who parks on mountains in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Buupu View Post
    So today I failed my driving test for the *6th* time!
    It got me thinking I wonder how many attempts other people take, So how many attempts did it take you to pass?
    The first time I had to take the test (way back when I was 18), I failed it once. I blame that on the location as the testing was done in a strip-mall parking lot. I stop'd two feet BEFORE the stop sign to let some pedestrians cross, then proceeded. They flunked me for not stopping a second time AT the stop sign.

The second time I took my test, earlier this year after moving and letting my license lapse, I passed on the first time. However I had to use all three attempts on the parallel parking as I have not had to parallel park in eight or so years. I still don't have to parallel park because I live in a rural area. Everything is driveways or parking lots.

Deleted
    The written tests were a piece of cake, passed both of them with 100% flat.

As for the practical tests:
    car: 1st try
    motorcycle: 2nd try (failed once because I went ~2 (!) km/h too slow in one of the braking parts)

Passed on my second try. I think the lady was just being overly anal on my first try though because she criticized me for stopping at a yield sign that went on to a busy street and there was a building so you couldn't see to the left until you got up to the sign

Failed 3 times, pretty much gave up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    If I recall correctly (and it has been 18 years) you can apply for a learners permit. The learners permit has a set duration (6 months?) during which you can test as often as necessary to pass. However most locations only conduct the driving part of the test once or twice a week. This means that failing at one location means you most likely have to wait a week OR drive to another location further away.

I knew someone with a daughter that flunked her test multiple times in the same week. Every time she failed, they took her to a different town. She eventually passed in Harrisburg, which is several hours one way from where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    In the US, you can take it until you pass.
    The put it simply: yeah, in the US you can take it until you pass, but it is a little more complicated than that, at least in Ohio. If you're under 18 and you fail, you have to wait a week to try again, you can only fail four times before you're required to go through the learner's permit phase again and retake Driver's Ed.

If you're over 18 and fail, you still have to wait a week to take it again, and if you fail it four times in a row you have to wait for six months before you can try again. I know this for a fact because it took my ex-girlfriend's older sister a year and a half to get her license because she failed the test 9 times after she had turned 18...
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-27 at 05:50 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    1 try without mistakes

I don't envy young folk these days trying to get their licences but I suppose it is a "necessary evil" to keep them and others safe.

In my day it was handled by the local police sargeant, a couple of quick questions, a quick trip around the block and you were handed your licence. Boy there were a lot of people driving then who should not have been on the road. I have been lucky and only had one minor stack in the last 44 yrs of driving.

Good luck to all those trying and keep in mind the test is really a way of keeping you safer when you do get out on the road by yourselves.

Seems to be a lot of good excuses from folks failing their tests. If you had a competent instructor he/she would would have shown you the pitfalls. TBH, when someone fails multiple times it's most likely due to having a very bad instructor.
    Did you guys ask/check what the failure percentage was at your instructors?

In Denmark you have to take a certain amount of driving theory along with a certain amount of driving lessons to even be allowed to attempt the 2 exams.
    Written exam consists of 25 pictures with 3-6 questions on each picture, fail one question and you failed the "picture". Your allowed to fail 5 pictures.

Driving exam is 45mins with a police official, where you cruise around the local town. If the official feels like it he can ask you to do parallel parking, u-turns, 3point turn etc.
    He is also allowed to ask you to pop the hood in which case you have to be able to locate the different fill ports for the different fluids. He may also ask questions on how you control the lights of the car.

The disgusting part is that if you don't feel like doing that you can actually visit one of the more shady(Denmark is one of the countries with the lowest corruption) european countries and just bribe an official to give you a driving license after which you can return to Denmark and have it swapped for a Danish driving license.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-02-27 at 06:08 PM.