Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Command & conquer, But what 1?

Hey, lately ive been abit fed up of wow/starwars. ive been looking for a new game like starcraft 2 campaign mode.
    just wondering if there Is any new ones out with ok graphics.
    on the website ive been looking at either C&C 4 tiberium twilight or C&C generals. I havent played CC in years and wondered if they are any good to play or if I can play theese games and not require the first of the series etc?

Tiberian Sun is ancient now, but it is still my favorite. That game got me into RTS games. All the units were great and really creative for its time and the faction balance was spot on. No one could beat me and my friend 2v2.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-02-27 at 05:11 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

The storyline of these games isn't exactly linear to be honest. You can play one without having to play the others without too much difficulty, and they aren't that in depth to begin with. Infact, most of the appeal (story wise) had a lot to do with the cheesy cut scenes between each mission.

If graphics are really your focus (and I think you'll be missing out on a lot with that restrictive PoV), then you'll probably want to start with Generals. C&C 4 was... not great imo. Though that's obviously pretty subjective. C&C Red Alert 2 was amazing, and the Tiberian Sun was not too bad either (multiplayer especially).
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Personally I'd stay away from Tiberium Twilight, I'd guess it was their idea of trying something new, what with the unit cap and no harvesting etc.
    However I'd highly recommend Command and Conquer generals (along with the expansion "Zero hour") as it's an amazing game, one of the best in the series in my opinion, next to Command and Conquer 3 and Red Alert 2 all of which come with some pretty decent campaigns. You can pretty much pick up and play any of the games without missing out on much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoc213777db2f View Post
    I have a nuclear bomb. Once I detonate it, I'm shit cause I only got that one.

Deleted
    Stay away from Tiberium Twilight its not even a RTS its a RTT and i personaly dont like generals but to each of their own i guess i do quite like c&c 3 tiberium wars tought and Red Alert 3 is quite fun to if you dont mind the cartoonish graphics and such.

Deleted
    Cheers think I will buy generals and give that shot. ty for replies

Red Alert 2
    Yuris Revenge <3 !
    Tiberium Sun

10+ Year Old Account
    For 20 bucks you can pick up everything except the two most recent games.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Command-Co...6#post15677056

Generals is really good and it lacks a grid-based building system that most CnC games have, which makes base construction easier, I'd pick it up with Zero Hour as well, great expansion.

Tiberium Twilight and it's expansion Kane's Wrath are OK, but I'd suggest brushing up on the history of the Tiberium story by playing Tiberian Sun and maybe even going as far back as Tiberian Dawn(the original Red Alert). I enjoyed Twilight and Kane's Wrath, Wrath definitely improved the game.

Red Alert 3 was just ZOMGWTFBBQ. Hated it, Red Alert and RA2 were cheesy on many levels, but RA3 just took it too far.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I can recommend C&C3: Tiberium Wars to newcomers. It has an amazing singleplayer experience, introducing an amazing new alien race aswell. And the graphics and gameplay are great.

Red Alert 3 is a fun game aswell, not as good as Red Alert 2 trough. Great graphics (altrough too colourfull) and great gameplay aswell.

Avoid C&C4: Tiberium Twilight, this game pretty much stabbed a knife to the franchise. They took away base building, resource harvesting. And the story is meh.

I can also recommend you to buy the First Decade, it has all the Westwood classics with C&C1: Tiberian Dawn up to C&C: Generals if I believe. Personally I find Red Alert 2 to be the best one, if you try that out you have to try yuri's Revenge aswell :P

I would be careful with the First Decade - I have it and have had some difficulties getting the earlier games to run on Win 7. I managed it, but it wasn't smooth sailing.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Deleted
    Hey sorry to bother you guys does any happen to know where I can digitaly download this game ofc paying for it? can only find copies who dies that any more :P

You -may- be able to find the First Decade on Steam, not sure.

And (this point has been stated several times, but I wanted to emphasize it again) don't touch C&C4. It's horrible. Any of the others may or may not be your particular cup of tea (opinions vary from person to person), but they at least retain the core gameplay.

Deleted
    You can find C&C3 and C&C3 Kanes Wrath on steam and Red Alert 3 and Red Alert 3 Uprising aswell and Fail and Fail harder 4 on steam aswell but i think you have to go to the EA store if you want to buy the rest digitaly dont think you can buy the first decade digitaly at all actuly.

Deleted
    Tiberian Sun was my all time favorite. Still have the original box decorating my shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    Tiberian Sun was my all time favorite. Still have the original box decorating my shelf.
    I still have it aswell, with the original CD rom when it was released:

A pretty badass CD rom for its time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I still have it aswell, with the original CD rom when it was released:

A pretty badass CD rom for its time
    Oh how I miss Westwood, shame EA ruined it. (And many others, soon PopCap too.)

Red Alert 2 is hands downs the best C&C game. However im not sure if it even runs on Vista and beyond.

edit: I guess you can run it in compatibility mode either way.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

This is what I miss most from Westwood:

Memories... every time that logo came on screen, I knew I was going to play an amazing game

Deleted
    Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge by far...
    I actually installed it a couple of days ago for the nostalgia, and it is actually more fun than i remembered it.
    Also, the graphics isn't too bad considering it came out 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6jhIpfUuA

epic intro btw.
    Last edited by mmoc0d772c6fbf; 2012-02-28 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Oh how I miss Westwood, shame EA ruined it. (And many others, soon PopCap too.)
    I dunno. Westwood's finest game had an EA label on it.

Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.