19 19.39%
  • Sorrow's Furnace

24 24.49%
  • Crystal Desert

36 36.73%
  • DarkHaven

19 19.39%
    10+ Year Old Account
    I COULD just pretend that I started out worshipping one then as I go on something occurs that makes me resent the gods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Grenth watches over me.
    I thought that was PETA's job?

One thing that admittedly irks me about the character creation is the pigeon holing, the way it seems to almost force u into a racial mindset and the lack of choices.
    Ok..more than one thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I wish you could be a gladium as a charr too.

I'm actually ok with the racial mindset thing....I just wish there were more choices, and that they could be broader and have more variety.

e.g. create something that actually makes an asura ranger make sense outside of ur RP choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    "Melandru -- the goddess of nature, earth, and growth -- can be found in every harvest and every flower. She smiles upon those, like me, who have an affinity with animals. I am a follower of Melandru." Says something similar to "I follow x god" for all the choices. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography
    Irrelevant what that part says. The part that is placed into your personal story thing in-game, that you can access as you progress your story, is "Everyone said I was blessed by _____ when I was young."

In the case of my Thief, I take that to mean that people observed something about my personality/behavior/skill, and took that to mean I was blessed by Grenth - my character does not worship the gods, let alone believe in them. For true gods would not "abandon" their people, let alone let something like the Elder Dragons come to pass.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

To be fair, from a design standpoint I can see why they avoided "gladium" as an option. The differences in story between an ash legion VS blood legion I would assume would be smaller than blood legion VS gladium. And you wouldn't be allowed to fight besided Rytlock in the starting mission, making the "hero of ____" stuff that they throw onto every starter character ever would be complicated. And there's more minor things like the need to change "Call warband" to "Call gladium buddies that aren't a warband but they'll totally fight for you brah.", and the need to have any Charr asking for help for hearts or DEs or any charr in the black citadel treat you like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    To be fair, from a design standpoint I can see why they avoided "gladium" as an option. The differences in story between an ash legion VS blood legion I would assume would be smaller than blood legion VS gladium. And you wouldn't be allowed to fight besided Rytlock in the starting mission, making the "hero of ____" stuff that they throw onto every starter character ever would be complicated. And there's more minor things like the need to change "Call warband" to "Call gladium buddies that aren't a warband but they'll totally fight for you brah.", and the need to have any Charr asking for help for hearts or DEs or any charr in the black citadel treat you like crap.
    But.....Rytlock himself was a gladum for a while. Now he's the charr's greatest hero.
    Anyway......I can appreciate it from a development standpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does seem that being a gladium is so... negative, in charr community, that it's not something ANY charr wants to do, let alone something they'd be proud of. The one you recruit as Blood Legion, the older thief one, is all suicidally depressed because of it.

That being said, I think it would be a neat way to set up the story to have you be gladium, and get picked up by a warband part-way through the story. Does it necessarily matter which warband picks you up? Most likely one, imo, would be Blood Legion - they always need fresh meat.

Or they could do something like "I was FORMERLY of ______." and then you're a gladium that gets picked up by your former legion?

*shrug* Just saying there's ways to work it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-05 at 04:23 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    But.....Rytlock himself was a gladum for a while. Now he's the charr's greatest hero.
    That's just because the bar is set very low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminder: The line that Charr use for picking their legion is "I am proud to be _____."

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I don't believe rytlock was a gladium. He was just sent away from his warband for being unruly. Kind of like a time out. Someone only becomes a gladium for doing something REALLY bad.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-06-05 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's just because the bar is set very low.
    He is feared by many among the charr due to his status and that he gained it by killing his superiors and taking their titles.
    Dunno if I'd call that a low bar. :O!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    killing his superiors and taking their titles.
    Sounds like every Asura

Actually, I don't believe rytlock was a gladium. He was just sent away from his warband for being unruly. Kind of like a time out. Someone only becomes a gladium for doing something REALLY bad.
    I thought by fighting in the LA arena as a gladiator besides a human after deserting his other warband kinda would make him a gladum.
    But yh, he wasn't totally thrown out and made a gladum...if what he says about him leaving them is true.

---------- Post added 2012-06-05 at 04:32 AM ----------

Sounds like every Asura
    Zing.

/10asura

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Asuras actively seek to NOT be promoted to the high ranks so that they can continue experimenting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Asuras actively seek to NOT be promoted to the high ranks so that they can continue experimenting.
    Technicalities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like every Asura
    If Asura kill their superiors, there will be nobody to brag about their accomplishments to the rest of the Asura and ensure their promotions.

Technicalities.
    We'll change it to killing superiors and stealing their blueprints

---------- Post added 2012-06-05 at 04:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    If Asura kill their superiors, there will be nobody to brag about their accomplishments to the rest of the Asura and ensure their promotions.
    They most definitely don't want to be promoted though...
    The ones in power are the ones who couldn't run or think fast enough.

Snaff <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    They most definitely don't want to be promoted though...
    http://www.arena.net/blog/that-old-college-try

You should read the story portion of that, if you haven't. This one very much wants people to brag about his accomplishments. :P