19 19.39%
  • Sorrow's Furnace

24 24.49%
  • Crystal Desert

36 36.73%
  • DarkHaven

19 19.39%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    You guys are boring >.>. I blame the Asura for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    These time differences are just silly.
    Don't worry, when we become a space-faring race, we'll all have the same timezone, and time won't be related to a single planet's rotation.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    You guys are boring >.>. I blame the Asura for this.
    I just woke up Still too groggy to be overly funny or witty, even for asura baiting
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Don't worry, when we become a space-faring race, we'll all have the same timezone, and time won't be related to a single planet's rotation.
    You'll still have timezones on each planet based on rotation. But they'll prob be an earth standard time that most ppl use. And I'm still holding out for instant teleportation. Walking is.....meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I'm still holding out for instant teleportation. Walking is.....meh.
    Well Star Trek style teleportation probably won't ever be possible.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well Star Trek style teleportation probably won't ever be possible.
    Teleportation that requires your atoms to be disassembled and resembled will most likely never happen, but teleportation by bending space sounds a more likely thing to happen.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Teleportation that requires your atoms to be disassembled and resembled will most likely never happen, but teleportation by bending space sounds a more likely thing to happen.
    Probably not in our lifetime though.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Idd...they've actually had some success with this approach already I understand. Something about moving an atom a milimeter or something I read about in science magazine a while back. It decayed rather quickly though
    star trek is......meh, in my book. More fantastical than sci fi. I prefer more realistic sci fi, like Babylon 5 or Dune. Frankly, if we ever turned out like the society in star trek i'd rather we devoled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idd...they've actually had some success with this approach already I understand. Something about moving an atom a milimeter or something I read about in science magazine a while back. It decayed rather quickly though
    star trek is......meh, in my book. More fantastical than sci fi. I prefer more realistic sci fi, like Babylon 5 or Dune. Frankly, if we ever turned out like the society in star trek i'd rather we devoled.
    They've succeeded in teleporting photons back in the 90s, which have no mass. Requires a lot more to teleport something with mass.

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 07:37 PM ----------

Frankly, if we ever turned out like the society in star trek i'd rather we devoled.
    But... they don't use money! And there's an entire race that treats logic like a religion!

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    I just woke up Still too groggy to be overly funny or witty, even for asura baiting
    Awwww you Asura no want to play? Okay then, I guess I'll poke around a couple Charr, they're closest enough to being an Asura .

They've succeeded in teleporting photons back in the 90s, which have no mass. Requires a lot more to teleport something with mass.
    Yh, that was the one Thanks. And yeah...it caused quite a stir amongst trekkies I remember...photons being what the teleporter tech there was based on, I think. Similar with the holodeck.
    But... they don't use money! And there's an entire race that treats logic like a religion!
    Sorry...but any race that views Wesley Crusher as the archetype human...no thanks. I prefer a bit of blood, sweat and passion. We'll never get anywhere if we fall in that pathetic excuse for humanity.
    I guess I read too much Nietzsche

10+ Year Old Account
    Pft. There needs to be emotion, yes, but there's so little logical thinking in human society today that I can't help but love the idea.

Vulcans are, technically, more emotional than humans are, by nature - they just go through rigorous mental discipline to keep under control.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Probably not in our lifetime though.
    The amount of energy required would be equivalent to if you converted all of the mass of Jupiter into energy.

Which, by current technology, is impossible.

And that's if the transfer was 100%. To make a comparison, I think with things like nuclear bombs it's only 10%, and they use about as much hydrogen as contained in a balloon.

I might be off on those figures though, it's not worth referencing. :P

So anyways, scientists have no fucking clue how to do it. But they're able to calculate how much energy would be required. I have no idea how though. It's definitely not going to be achievable within our lifetime, assuming we don't have any medical advances that extend our lifetime faster than we die of old age.

Which I personally believe might not be too far fetched.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-03-10 at 01:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    So anyways, scientists have no fucking clue how to do it. But they're able to calculate how much energy would be required. I have no idea how though.
    You should know this. How do you calculate the energy of a body of mass?

E=mc²

You should know this. How do you calculate the energy of a body of mass?

E=mc²
    No, I don't mean the conversion. I mean how they know how much will be required in the first place to even do it.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ah, make-shift guild chat. feels good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    ah, make-shift guild chat. feels good man.
    I'm feelin' it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't mean the conversion. I mean how they know how much will be required in the first place to even do it.
    Well, I suppose they're just talking about the amount of energy in the human body.

Well, I suppose they're just talking about the amount of energy in the human body.
    um... no.

They calculated the amount of energy required to warp spacetime. As in, the faster than light travel type. I don't think the human body contains as much energy as the mass of Jupiter. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    They calculated the amount of energy required to warp spacetime. As in, the faster than light travel type. I don't think the human body contains as much energy as the mass of Jupiter. =P
    I'm willing to bet physicists understand exactly what sort of forces it would take to warp spacetime... we just don't have the capability to actually perform the act.

Well... /join guild. I have decided to get this game when it comes out, it just looks so damn good!

And so far everything that has looked good for me has turned out to be so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.