Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Thinking about buying...Few class questions after looking up info.

    Thinking about picking up this game since I'm bored out of my mind between playing BF4 and LoL.

    I'm a long time ex-WoW player ( 2007-2013 ) and ventured into different games on their launches ( Aion, Rift , Tera, FFXIV ) however I found them all too Asian grind focused ( even though Rift wasn't Asian )

    So recently my search for MMO's stumbled upon GW2 ( heard from the hype on launch but never got into it cause MoP ) and after 2-3 days of solid reading and video watching it seems like a good game to try.

    However I'm at a lost about classes and my main issues seem to be :

    - Reading the official GW2 forums and venturing in the profession side, it seems to boil down that most people feel as if their class sucks ( mesmers QQíng about movement speed , warriors QQíng about being jack of all trades but master of none , Necromancers QQíng about rerolling cause no one wants them in dungeons )

    How valid is all this QQ ? or is just the same old issue of classes moaning for the reason of moaning ? ( like saying their class sucks while it infact is just ''fine'' )

    - My second issue is I'm used to playing mages , now GW2 has none of that ( technically speaking ) so I've been delving into Mesmers / Necro's and Elementals.

    Now the issue I see is that Necro's are unwanted in PUG's ( for some reason ) and Elementalists seem daunting , as do Mesmers.

    Given the fact that I played WoW for so long and every other big MMO , can I do fine with Mesmer or Elementalist if I just practice the class ? ( and in terms of '' how wanted am I ? '' would you guys rank Necro's, Ele's and Mesmers for PvE ? )

    - Last point I was thinking about is playing a warrior, however I really liked some of the light armors in this game.

    Are there any heavy armor sets endgame that follow the ''less is more'' tradition on female characters, or are they all just massive full body pants and breastplates ?


    TL : DR :

    - Wanted to play Necro but seems unwanted in PvE, false or true ? ( I do want to be able to get invited etc at lvl 80 )

    - Can anyone give pro's and cons about Mesmers and Ele's ? ( I really like some of the Ele armor, but don't want to get overwhelmed with 20 moves )

    - Is there any ''skimpy'' heavy armor in the game or is it all big legplates and full body breastplates on female warriors ? ( I like my virtual sexiness, shoot me xD )

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,942
    This is a good summary of the strengths/weaknesses of each profession:

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...elp-you-decide

    They are all viable, it's really about the playstyle you prefer. I never heard of someone not wanting a necro, in fact I regularly run with a necromancer.

    One thing you can do to try out the different professions is go to the PvP lobby (Heart of the Mists - crossed sword icon). There you are boosted to 80 with free access to all traits, skills, stats, runes, sigils, etc. You can play around on the target golems or profession golems, there's even a boss there. Try the different weapons, they greatly affect the playstyle.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  3. #3
    - Wanted to play Necro but seems unwanted in PvE, false or true ? ( I do want to be able to get invited etc at lvl 80 )
    They have the best AoE in the game. PuGs in PvE have this weird belief that "heavies" are better at survival because they get slightly more armor then other professions. This is false however it completely depends on the build. Most heavies in PuGs suck and don't even bother with their group support which makes them wanted in Pugs in the first place, but pugs are usually blind and don't pay attention.

    People who only want guardians and warriors in a pug are generally idiots and you don't want to group with them.

    Can anyone give pro's and cons about Mesmers and Ele's ? ( I really like some of the Ele armor, but don't want to get overwhelmed with 20 moves )
    Ele armor? All light armor professions share armor skins. As for the ele playstyle it is more or less just CD swapping between attunements - its really easy, you just set up combos really.

    The pros of mesmers is they have illusions which can take a hit over a party member also illusionary warden (a skill on the focus weapon) absorbs projectiles and there is a lot of encounters that have that. They can also aoe cure conditions and share their buffs to allies. However mesmers lack movement speed - generally I think every class except guardians and mesmers get perma swiftness in some form or another. Mesmers lack out of combat mobility.

    Is there any ''skimpy'' heavy armor in the game or is it all big legplates and full body breastplates on female warriors ? ( I like my virtual sexiness, shoot me xD )
    There is I think 3 sets that show a little bit of skin such as the stomache but no, nothing that screams skimpy.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  4. #4
    It is worth playing for a month or so. After that you realize you've beaten the game and there is nothing worth playing for. Horizontal progression sucks.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    It is worth playing for a month or so. After that you realize you've beaten the game and there is nothing worth playing for. Horizontal progression sucks.
    Here boy get the carrot

    /throws carrot

    GO GET IT BOY
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  6. #6
    Take all the class complaints with a grain of salt. It's like people bitching on WoW forums cos x spec is 1% behind others in DPS so it totally sucks and no one will take them, etc. While to elitist min/maxing no-lifers it might matter, the vast majority of the game pop's not going to care. It's more about mechanics and group synergy. Remember that you can be a member of five guilds at once in this game on an account, so shop around, try different ones out to find a good pool of people to play with. And you needn't worry about being excluded in Open World and Living Story stuff. At most people might not be forgiving in Dungeons and Fractals where, again, find good people to play with and it becomes a moot point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    It is worth playing for a month or so. After that you realize you've beaten the game and there is nothing worth playing for. Horizontal progression sucks.
    To clarify, it sucks if you expected a game to have vertical progression a'la WoW. If that's what you're after, GW 2 is probably not for you. This isn't 'grind x raid for two months to get gear to grind y raid for two months to get gear to grind z raid for two months'.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,448
    Very valid QQ from the different classes. The game is very far from polished. Especially if you appreciated WoW's balance and viability of all specs you will quickly get frustrated by how little Anet is capable of doing. The game is beautiful and worth it's money, but don't expect too much.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    This is a good summary of the strengths/weaknesses of each profession:

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...elp-you-decide

    They are all viable, it's really about the playstyle you prefer. I never heard of someone not wanting a necro, in fact I regularly run with a necromancer.

    One thing you can do to try out the different professions is go to the PvP lobby (Heart of the Mists - crossed sword icon). There you are boosted to 80 with free access to all traits, skills, stats, runes, sigils, etc. You can play around on the target golems or profession golems, there's even a boss there. Try the different weapons, they greatly affect the playstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They have the best AoE in the game. PuGs in PvE have this weird belief that "heavies" are better at survival because they get slightly more armor then other professions. This is false however it completely depends on the build. Most heavies in PuGs suck and don't even bother with their group support which makes them wanted in Pugs in the first place, but pugs are usually blind and don't pay attention.

    People who only want guardians and warriors in a pug are generally idiots and you don't want to group with them.



    Ele armor? All light armor professions share armor skins. As for the ele playstyle it is more or less just CD swapping between attunements - its really easy, you just set up combos really.

    The pros of mesmers is they have illusions which can take a hit over a party member also illusionary warden (a skill on the focus weapon) absorbs projectiles and there is a lot of encounters that have that. They can also aoe cure conditions and share their buffs to allies. However mesmers lack movement speed - generally I think every class except guardians and mesmers get perma swiftness in some form or another. Mesmers lack out of combat mobility.



    There is I think 3 sets that show a little bit of skin such as the stomache but no, nothing that screams skimpy.
    Thx , been really constructive.

    I'm used to playing Mages though I think the Mesmer is a steep step as 1st character ( heard they got a pretty bad lvling experience till around lvl 40 , unless you know the insides and outsides of the class )

    Also even though I played pretty much every big MMO the last 5 years , every game is different and the way they handle classes and I got a feeling that Mesmer will give me a lot of swearing from dying every minute the first week I play it.

    so I think I will toss a coin between warrior ( something , for me , familiar ) or necro ( since light armor shares skins I can still roll the Mesmer/Ele look if I fancy ) - read up some more for now and get me a cd key tomorrow.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    Thx , been really constructive.

    I'm used to playing Mages though I think the Mesmer is a steep step as 1st character ( heard they got a pretty bad lvling experience till around lvl 40 , unless you know the insides and outsides of the class )

    Also even though I played pretty much every big MMO the last 5 years , every game is different and the way they handle classes and I got a feeling that Mesmer will give me a lot of swearing from dying every minute the first week I play it.

    so I think I will toss a coin between warrior ( something , for me , familiar ) or necro ( since light armor shares skins I can still roll the Mesmer/Ele look if I fancy ) - read up some more for now and get me a cd key tomorrow.
    Mesmer is heavily trait dependent which is why it sucks for leveling. If you want a profession close to a classic mage Elementalist is your best bet. Mesmer is more like... a mesmer... I am not sure it is pretty unique. Necromancer is your traditional necromancer with minions and debuffs.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  10. #10
    In the Scholars, Necro is probably the most forgiving with the Death Shroud mechanic to effectively double your lifebar. They can do some decent AoE and when skilled and traited become basically unkillable in most PvE situations. Warriors benefit from strong burst damage, lots of tools to get the job done and a pretty forgiving playstyle. It's not for nothing that Warriors are the most-played of all the professions. That said, I have a lot of fun with my Necro, unleashing my army of minions on foes, soloing champs and generally just waltzing through whatever gets in my way with little fear of death.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Here boy get the carrot

    /throws carrot

    GO GET IT BOY

    You do realize how stupid this characterization is right? You still have carrots in GW2, they just aren't anything with value in building your character. Those who like to play dress up with dolls have something to do in GW2. Your pursuit of clothing is a carrot. It just doesn't make your character matter anymore than it did before. You are no more powerful after putting your blue dress on but you still farm whatever for that dress.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    You do realize how stupid this characterization is right? You still have carrots in GW2, they just aren't anything with value in building your character. Those who like to play dress up with dolls have something to do in GW2. Your pursuit of clothing is a carrot. It just doesn't make your character matter anymore than it did before. You are no more powerful after putting your blue dress on but you still farm whatever for that dress.
    What's wrong with horizontal progression? Not every game has to be stuck in the same statistical and power vertical progression rut that a majority of mmos have.

  13. #13
    Doozer, he didn't say there was anything wrong with it.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Doozer, he didn't say there was anything wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    Horizontal progression sucks.
    Seems like he did say that, or perhaps it is only for him that it sucks.

  15. #15
    I replied to the text you quoted and responded to, my bad for not checking the rest of the thread I guess.

    (quote the thing you're responding to, not what was said last it's easier to follow the conversation that way)
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

  16. #16
    the ironic thing is, Ascended gear was put in for folks like him

  17. #17
    I highly doubt it, but let's not get into the hell of discussing ascended gear
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Mesmer is heavily trait dependent which is why it sucks for leveling. If you want a profession close to a classic mage Elementalist is your best bet. Mesmer is more like... a mesmer... I am not sure it is pretty unique. Necromancer is your traditional necromancer with minions and debuffs.
    For myself, my first class was an elementalist and it was just too fragile for me. I made a warrior, it was fun for a while but sort of boring, then I made a mesmer and it was the most fun. Sure I died sometimes, but nothing like the elementalist did.

    I will chalk it up to "learning curve" as I'm now leveling my second elementalist and it's plenty of fun.

    To illustrate playstyle without knowing how to play:
    Elementalist: Try to burn things down, die.
    Necromancer: Try to depend on minions, they die, then you die.
    Mesmer: Run like a pansy, throwing illusions at your enemy while you do, WIN!

    The elementalist is great once you get their mobility and combo's and stuff down. The necro is great once you figure out weapons you like and learn to use death shroud more effectively. Mesmer is a different style of gameplay that is more interactive for me and is enjoyable.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    the ironic thing is, Ascended gear was put in for folks like him
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I highly doubt it, but let's not get into the hell of discussing ascended gear
    I won't get into anything lengthy, but I really think Ascended gear is one of those things that they meant to have at launch (a gear tier that required more work to accomplish, but wasn't as much as a legendary) and they just couldn't get it in time. Every MMO launch has some "launch features" that didn't make it and get added later as if they were some new thing.

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    What's wrong with horizontal progression? Not every game has to be stuck in the same statistical and power vertical progression rut that a majority of mmos have.
    Horizontal progression is a misnomer. It's not a progression unless something PROGRESSES.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    It's not a progression unless something PROGRESSES.
    what does that even mean?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •