Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 31 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If I go to the Louvre with a canvas and some paint and make a perfect 1:1 reproduction of the Mona Lisa and take it home, am I considered a pirate? I occasionally download games, movies, music, and software because I'm unemployed (well, I freelance as an illustrator but I make pocket change) and cannot afford to spend money on such luxuries.

On the other hand I use photoshop for work, but I cannot afford to pay 700 bucks on a piece of software when I make maybe 50-100 a month. I also play the guitar and dabble in songwriting/recording for which I try to use free software. Things like sample libraries costing upwards of 1000 bucks for some realistic sounding instruments just so I can enjoy my hobby... is a bit much for me. If I start getting a reasonable income using stuff like photoshop, then sure I'll support the company who made it possible, but at the moment it's way out of reach.

I use steam, and I try to take advantage of offers when I can if I really want something, but paying 10 bucks for a 1.5 hour movie, or 60 bucks for a game that'll keep me entertained for maybe a week is too much. That's more than I spend on food or gas (I drive kids to school for cash daily).

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is good, in fact, some of them should pay you for this.

Many times i share waht i do, videos, screens, links,etc... and i've known a lot of people who bought that stuff afterwards, something that they wouldn't have done if i wouldn't have showed it to them.. and i didn't pay for it, still i'm giving them new customers, for free ; )

What about that?

Also, most of the money you pay goes for the big fat ferrari douches that own the companies distributing those products.

ALSO, real artists ususally give many thigns for free, because rmember, it's their live and they gotta make money... but before anythinthings else, it must be an art, games, music and books... and not only business....

I get my music through Spotify.
    I buy games that are fun to play for more than 1 hour.
    Movies, cba to wait 6 months for them to come to the cinema, which we don't have in this town, so I pirate it and occasionally get the blu-ray.
    Series I exclusively download since i loathe TV.

I don't share the "everything should be free" bullshit mindset, but trailers never represent the movie, demos rarely represent the games and series well fuck TV. I'd probably be "stealing" 99% less if we had Netflix in Norway tho.

I wont ever buy stuff I can download for free. Even if I was a billionaire. I always see if a friend have it, so I can borrow instead of buy. Now I have millions of "friends" who already got it and I'm borrowing it from them.

Most - if not all - of those pirated games/movies/albums on the internet, have at least 1 original buyer, who is a very nice guy and is lending it to all of us. If you choose to buy one instead, it is your problem.

I only buy stuff I need to buy. For instance, MMOs. Since the only way to play it with decent quality is playing with the creator.

Also, with the internet, pirating isnt as bad for bussiness as people think it is. If it wasn't for internet, I wouldn't know that bands such as Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Sonata Artica existed. And I wouldn't go to their concerts when they come to Brazil. Thanks to piracy, I'm paying for something I otherwise wouldn't.

a writer saying his sales started to grow when pirated: http://paulocoelhoblog.com/2012/01/28/promo-bay/

entertainment industry is not losing money: http://torrentfreak.com/what-piracy-...ooming-120130/

I believe with internet and piracy, more people will have contact with a product, and more people will buy.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Pirating music or games or movies or whatever is absolutely no fucking different from walking down to a convenience store and just walking in and shoplifting whatever the fuck you want.
    actually the store down the street is owned by a local guy I don't steal from there. I steal from RIAA they don't live on my block.

YOU ARE NOT FUCKING HELPING US GET RID OF THESE IDIOTIC BUSINESS MODELS BY PIRATING SHIT. FUCKING STOP DOING IT!
    How about no?

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to pirate games (mostly games I was not sure I would like and/or games that are hardly available anymore), but not anymore. I still pirate TV series, as it takes 2 years before they finally air here in Finland. I don't have that kind of patience.

Pirating is not all bad. I would have never put any money in Torchlight for example, but pirating it and giving it a try I found out it was pretty decent. Now I'm waiting for Torchlight 2, and I will definately buy it. The makers of Torchlight put it pretty good. Building a future audience (they basically said it's ok to pirate it).

"Millions and millions of copies of Torchlight downloaded from the illicit market in certain Asian territories. And that's fine with us. We knew it was gonna happen. For us, we kind of see it as, down the road, we're building an audience. We've long since announced that we're going to be doing an MMO, and y'know, we kind of view it as a marketing tool for us. We're going to have millions of people who are familiar with our franchise, familiar with our style, and who are going to be ready customers when we do a global MMO."
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-02-28 at 04:29 PM.

I pirate something is not released in my country yet. Or something which is not deserve my money. By paying I usually give a sign that those developers/artists actually deserve my attention and worth my time.

I torrent games only to make sure If I want it or not. All the money I have saved from accidentaly spending it on a crapy game!
    If the idiots that made these games brought back demos or something like that, then I wouldn't have to go through so many fake downloads to make sure If I want to buy this game or not. The only torrented game that I have kept and haven't bought was Minecraft. The game is so empty I don't belive it's worth any money. It's more of a mini game that should be up for about $5.00 if there is going to be a price. Otherwise, every game I have torrented I have always bought.

Mostly I download TV series or movies. The TV series are generally ones not shown where I live, mostly from BBC. Now I dont think I can legally get those series without waiting a long time and then buying a DvD boxset (which even then may be hard to get here) and when I did live in England I did pay my TV licence etc, there is just no way for me to do that atm. Same if Netflix was available in Sweden, Id probably use that (we use Spotify for music) to get films and tv shows, because I have no problem paying legally for the content.

However when its not available, and to be fair its on free TV that my dad could simply record onto DvD and post to me, I dont really see the big issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Mostly I download TV series or movies. The TV series are generally ones not shown where I live, mostly from BBC. Now I dont think I can legally get those series without waiting a long time and then buying a DvD boxset (which even then may be hard to get here) and when I did live in England I did pay my TV licence etc, there is just no way for me to do that atm. Same if Netflix was available in Sweden, Id probably use that (we use Spotify for music) to get films and tv shows, because I have no problem paying legally for the content.

However when its not available, and to be fair its on free TV that my dad could simply record onto DvD and post to me, I dont really see the big issue.
    precisely why is netflix not available in your country?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    precisely why is netflix not available in your country?
    From Germany i get --> Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country... yet

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I download games is when I want to try them before I buy them, and they dont have a trial or demo of some sorts. If I like them, I buy them - if not, I uinstall them and move on!
    For some people it isn't really possible to see certain tv shows or such without downloading them illegally, unfortunately. It's still stealing, though.

Funny how certain big sites are the ones who gets the law suits when it's the individuals who share / download the files who are the problem, not the sites themselves.. Oh well.

Piracy is bad though.
    Hi

Deleted
    DO I Pirate ? Yes
    Music - Why ? Because I can listen to the music on a Digital raido station, Streamed on line from shoutcast, watched via a Music TV channel.
    if and WHEN a solution comes out where I can pay the artist directly (cutting out the middle man) then and only then will I pay for music I can listen to for free from many sources.

Games - Why ? Why should I pay £30-£50 for a game I may not like ? Take BF3 for example, I loved the original BF series, Hated BF2 because of commander spam mode, so was unsure of BF3. Was there a demo ? no. I Pirated it, Played the first few levels and knew I was going to love the game after finding out there was no comander mode. Result ? A lost sale converted in to a sale/

If Companies would go back to giving demos out, or having an online demo servers (one map, cant rank, time limited etc) People would know if they wanted to play it propperly and then decied if they where going to buy it or not. the companies could also see how many people converted trail accounts to paying accounts.

TV Shows - Here in the UK we are forced to pay a fee to watch TV legally. what do we get for it ? a hand full of channels which show repeats, shows about antiques, a news channel, and once in a blue moon a drama which is worth watching. We also get a load of channels with TV shows from the states, which are more adverts than TV show, 6 months to 2 years behind everyone else, and have a habbit of being canceled from our screens whilst still being shown elsewhere.

Give me a system where I can download a TV show which are recent with a few add's in the middle of it then I will be happy to watch it. as it is now its a joke for UK TV Show lovers to get there fix.

Movies.
    What is to stop me going into a second hand shop, buying a DVD or Blue ray there and watching it ? Absolutly nothing. Funnily enough Absolutly nothing is also the amount of revenue that the movie companies would get if I was to do this. If movie companies want to stamp out piracy because "it costs them money" then they have to stamp out the selling of second hand originals too. untill they do this, I will continue to pirate movies and buy second hand originals.

They say that piracy hurts the companies where "stealing from" however to steal somthing implies that there was somthing to steal in the first place, we are merely duplicating data. Yes this may result in lost sales and therefore money from a companies pocket. however if they where price things to a point where it is actually more attractive to buy something to have the original then things would no doubt change. However at the moment they are just being greedy.

The DVD duplication plant is already up and running, The printing plant already prints CD / DVD's etc. Movies nearly allways make the money back from the cinima.

I do not pirate anything, because it is stealing. The amount of rationalization I see in this thread is pretty staggering, though it mostly just confirms my suspicion that the vast majority of posters on these forums are young people.

The next time you go to download some software, music, movies, games, whatever, just imagine having to explain your actions to your parents. Better yet, imagine you have to explain them to your children.

*dramatization*

Hey Dad, how do you afford all of these games/movies/songs?

Well son, I don't. I download them for free from the internet.

Wow, that's crazy, how come everyone doesn't do that?

Well, it isn't exactly legal.

So why do you do it?

These game/movie/music companies are just a bunch of rich bastards, and the products they are selling aren't worth half of what they charge.

You said the same thing about the new car, why didn't you steal that?

Well son, because when you steal something in the real world it is very likely that you will be caught. When you steal things from the internet there is almost no chance of every being caught.

I see, so only steal things when you won't get caught. Got it. Thanks dad, great talk.

*end dramatization*

The reason people have no problem pirating stuff is the same reason people have no qualms rolling need on everything in dungeon/raid finder. No accountability, no punishment, no fear.

YOU ARE NOT FUCKING HELPING US GET RID OF THESE IDIOTIC BUSINESS MODELS BY PIRATING SHIT. FUCKING STOP DOING IT!
    The only way you can reasonably say that is if you also believe that pirating doesn't hurt the company.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow it's sad the justification everyone is using to steal.it just shows you the real reason everyone was against sopa was just greed not some higher cause like anti-censorship
    Last edited by stabetha; 2012-02-28 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    wow it's sad the justification everyone is using to steal.it just shows you the real reason everyone was against sopa was just greed not some higher cause like anti-censorship
    It's sad that people think copyright infringement is hurting content creators.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

It really doesn't matter if it doesn't hurt anyone.

Say you go into Scrooge McDucks room of gold and steal one gold coin. It doesn't hurt him at all, in fact, he probably won't even notice it is gone. That does not change the fact that you stole it from him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riekul View Post
    It really doesn't matter if it doesn't hurt anyone.

Say you go into Scrooge McDucks room of gold and steal one gold coin. It doesn't hurt him at all, in fact, he probably won't even notice it is gone. That does not change the fact that you stole it from him.
    Yea but pirating isn't stealing, it's accepting "counterfeit" goods for free. I see no crime here or nothing wrong with it. If you don't upload the stuff back, you aren't doing anything wrong and it's not your problem to stand for corporate interests. Let the police or whoever deal with those who "produce" said counterfeits.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Yea but pirating isn't stealing, it's accepting "counterfeit" goods for free. I see no crime here or nothing wrong with it. If you don't upload the stuff back, you aren't doing anything wrong and it's not your problem to stand for corporate interests. Let the police or whoever deal with those who "produce" said counterfeits.
    Just another in a long line of rationalizations. But hey, whatever helps you sleep better at night.