Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 32 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Well i never liked pirating but i recently changed my mind. I dont download music or movies but i download games. My reasoning is that im sick and tired paying for crappy games that give you only 10 hours maximum of game and 10000000 dlcs that add 1 hour of gameplay each. Games go from bad to the worst these days and arent worth paying for. I only pay for games that worth it, games that developers put their time and soul in them, im not paying for a game that a money hungry corporation created in a few months with no effort just to sell it to the zombie fanboys that eat everything that they serve them or to some kids with their fathers credit card. I feel like a fool when i pay 50 euros for a game that doesnt last more than 2 days, its really frustrating.
    I download a game just to try it and if it worths it i go buy it. I try to support the developers that create good games. Shitty games end up in the garbage. How can you know if a game worths your time and money without trying it first(10min gameplay demos dont give you the full picture)? Would you buy a box without knowing whats inside it just by believing what the salesman say? Dont you want to test everything before you buy it? Thats just my opinion, i dont know if its right or wrong but things arent just black or white to me. I dont want to eat all the garbage that they serve me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riekul View Post
    Just another in a long line of rationalizations. But hey, whatever helps you sleep better at night.
    Well, truth hurts, doesn't it? The corporations are trying to brainwash people into thinking that it is stealing but in fact it is just counterfeiting with close to perfect quality. Is BUYING or accepting fake Nike shoes as a gift wrong or illegal? Nope, is producing and selling them illegal, yes.

Besides, trust me, hun, anything that benefits me and is illegal bothers me only if there are negative consequences like getting caught. I wouldn't need to justify anything. However in this case, I'm actually right and judging from the number of people who pirate, I think it is shared by most.

Just another in a long line of rationalizations. But hey, whatever helps you sleep better at night.
    Whatever you might think in a moral sense - your analogy was plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Well, truth hurts, doesn't it? The corporations are trying to brainwash people into thinking that it is stealing but in fact it is just counterfeiting with close to perfect quality. Is BUYING or accepting fake Nike shoes as a gift wrong or illegal? Nope, is producing and selling them illegal, yes.

Besides, trust me, hun, anything that benefits me and is illegal bothers me only if there are negative consequences like getting caught. I wouldn't need to justify anything. However in this case, I'm actually right and judging from the number of people who pirate, I think it is shared by most.
    So if it is only accepting essentially stolen (or counterfeit in your words) goods, it would be fine if you had a friend who was willing to steal a television that he would then give to you? If he gets caught, that's his problem, not yours eh?

And no, I don't think the majority of people pirate, perhaps the majority of people that regularly visit and post on this website do.

Deleted
    i pirate because i am actually poor, true story.
    mostly games but also TV shows when there's a long time between release dates in different countries, and movies if I'm not completely sure if it's any good.

Deleted
    So if it is only accepting essentially stolen (or counterfeit in your words) goods, it would be fine if you had a friend who was willing to steal a television that he would then give to you? If he gets caught, that's his problem, not yours eh?

And no, I don't think the majority of people pirate, perhaps the majority of people that regularly visit and post on this website do.
    Absolutely, I'd prefer him not telling me it's stolen though so I wouldn't be responsible. But I would obviously care about the well being of my friend and wouldn't want him to steal because he might get caught and punished. I wouldn't care if he steals though, I'd just care about him not getting into trouble. It's not my place to judge what others do.

And further more, pirating isn't stealing, original remains there and intact. If anything it is counterfeiting with a very good quality. But people who download aren't doing even that, they just accept free gifts from the Robin Hoods who do it for them for free.

It really doesn't matter if it doesn't hurt anyone.

Say you go into Scrooge McDucks room of gold and steal one gold coin. It doesn't hurt him at all, in fact, he probably won't even notice it is gone. That does not change the fact that you stole it from him.
    Kinda off-topic but.. Scrooge McDuck would know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    OT but I thought relevant:P

Absolutely, I'd prefer him not telling me it's stolen though so I wouldn't be responsible. But I would obviously care about the well being of my friend and wouldn't want him to steal because he might get caught and punished. I wouldn't care if he steals though, I'd just care about him not getting into trouble. It's not my place to judge what others do.

And further more, pirating isn't stealing, original remains there and intact. If anything it is counterfeiting with a very good quality. But people who download aren't doing even that, they just accept free gifts from the Robin Hoods who do it for them for free.
    Oh pirates, the modern day Robin Hoods. You heard it here first folks. Only instead of stealing to clothe and feed the poor, they steal to provide bored people with entertainment. The similarities are striking...

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Haha, indeed sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pirating does not hurt artists. A real artists will create regardless of financial gain. Pirating only helps them spread their works to people that may not experience it otherwise.

Pirating hurts the people that are only concerned about financial gain. Fuck those people.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, to the people saying piracy doesn't actually hurt the producers, this isn't entirely true. There are a few forms of companies that are being devastated by piracy. Yes, major movie franchises and music producers aren't being hurt at all, but smaller tv shows have been dropping drastically lately. One area that has been particularly hit is anime. Anime producers have significantly slowed production in the past 5 years, and there have been several discussion about discontinuing animation projects. Massive mainstream media shows like One Piece and Naruto won't be touched, because they have significant income from television, but smaller projects, the 12-13 episode series, might no longer be in production in the next few years because of a lack of profit, which until now was primarily through DVDs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Pirating hurts the people that are only concerned about financial gain. Fuck those people.
    Actually it doesn't hurt even those. There was a study recently and they found that only 8% would have bought the pirated stuff legally if the pirating option wasn't available. But the free advertizement and people who buy it after pirating it counts for something too.

Yea but pirating isn't stealing, it's accepting "counterfeit" goods for free. I see no crime here or nothing wrong with it. If you don't upload the stuff back, you aren't doing anything wrong and it's not your problem to stand for corporate interests. Let the police or whoever deal with those who "produce" said counterfeits.
    You see no crime. The law does not agree with you.

Guess who will win?

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 07:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Pirating does not hurt artists. A real artists will create regardless of financial gain. Pirating only helps them spread their works to people that may not experience it otherwise.

It doesn't hurt them except you know if they want to actually eat and make a living at making art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so let me (briefly) assume copyright infringement is theft... (Ah Techdirt...)

Under the “theft” conception of copyright law, what, exactly, is the deprivation when someone makes illegal copies? It really boils down to just one thing: money. Copyright infringement – renamed copyright theft — deprives the copyright holder of some of his or her expected profit from exploiting the copyright.

What are other, similar kinds of “theft” by depriving someone of expected money? Failure of a tenant to pay the agreed rent to a landlord is one. Parking in a parking space without putting money in the meter is another. Jumping the turnstile to ride on a subway without paying the fare is a third. (And, of course, failure of a studio or record label to pay artists or actors the promised contractual royalties for their work on a record or film is a fourth.* But something tells me the studios and labels sponsoring the current bills won’t go near that topic. The bills don’t include rogue studios and labels in their scope.)

___

How do the civil damages or penalties for the different types of such “theft” compare? Failure to pay expected money under a contract doesn’t trigger a penalty: contract law usually says that a party can recover the money she expected but not punitive damages or attorneys fees (unless parties have specifically bargained to pay attorneys fees for a breach). Failure to pay rent usually requires payment of rent to cure the default. Failure to put money in the parking meter prompts a ticket for $60. In New York City, failure to pay the $2.50 subway fare results in a maximum fine of $100.

Copyright “theft” is a very different story. Copyright infringement statutory damages in civil litigation can be as high as $150,000 for infringement of a single work. Yes, a single work such as a single song with an iTunes download value of $1. A copyright holder can claim such statutory damages without needing to prove a single penny of damage or loss. Think such sky-high damages aren’t realistic? Think again. In the RIAA’s case against single mother Jammie Thomas, a jury awarded $1,500,000 for the download of 24 songs, with no proof that she had transmitted songs to others. The federal judge thought that was ridiculous and reduced the total award to $54,000 – and the RIAA and MPAA are now arguing strenuously on appeal that the jury verdict should return to the original figure, $62,500 per downloaded song.

___

If we take copyright law’s maximum-penalty-to-price ratio as applied to an illegal download, and apply that same penalty-to-price ratio to the New York subway, the maximum penalty for jumping that turnstile and avoiding the $2.50 fare would be $375,000 instead of $100. Copyright industries are on to a really good thing under current law. One could say it’s a steal.*
    -copyright lawyer Andrew P. Bridges [*extra emphasis added]

Remind me why we needed SOPA again?
    Last edited by Ferel; 2012-02-28 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added attribution to author
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post
    You see no crime. The law does not agree with you.

Guess who will win?

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 07:17 PM ----------

It doesn't hurt them except you know if they want to actually eat and make a living at making art.
    You don't agree with me, the law actually does agree with me. As long as you don't share it's not illegal and they don't do anything about it. Besides if they actually made it illegal in the future, it would be like making drinking coffee illegal, they'd have to toss half the population in prison and hire the other half as guards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post

Do tell us examples of talented artists being unable to make a living due to piracy.

Please. Go find us some examples right now.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corjha View Post
    I don't pirate movies, only music and software.

There is a big difference between Stealing and "Copying"
    well no, there is not a big difference. Sure there is a difference but its not enough for u to rationalize piracy. Because the only difference is the money it requires to put the movie on a DVD and in a box. U want to know how much money is required for that ? close to 0 (dont quote this). The money required to make the movie or game is the money you are stealing for the artist or game developer or what ever.

If u want it in perspective, then lets say a movie has a million copies made and one guy steals 1 copy and another guy downloads it. The guy who downloaded it took 0% of the initial 1 million copies and the guy who steals a copy takes 0.0001% of the initial 1 million copies. The differance between 0 % and 0.0001% the difference between piracy and actually stealing a copy.

And dont give me the infinity bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexa View Post
    well no, there is not a big difference. Sure there is a difference but its not enough for u to rationalize piracy. Because the only difference is the money it requires to put the movie on a DVD and in a box. U want to know how much money is required for that ? close to 0 (dont quote this). The money required to make the movie or game is the money you are stealing for the artist or game developer or what ever.

If u want it in perspective, then lets say a movie has a million copies made and one guy steals 1 copy and another guy downloads it. The guy who downloaded it took 0% of the initial 1 million copies and the guy who steals a copy takes 0.0001% of the initial 1 million copies. The differance between 0 % and 0.0001% the difference between piracy and actually stealing a copy.

And dont give me the infinity bullshit.
    The difference is copyright protection and selling illegal goods. Even if they are selling it for $0. You can't just share original media. You have to remove the copyright protection and make a crack.

The difference is the same as a shop selling original Rolex watches and then someone comes, buys 1, produces a million counterfeit copies and sells them from nothing. The one who sells or gives away the fakes is responsible, not the ones who buy or accept it.

The reason people have no problem pirating stuff is the same reason people have no qualms rolling need on everything in dungeon/raid finder. No accountability, no punishment, no fear.
    You little moral dramatization there is garbage in my opinion. I don't consider piracy to be a crime, I disagree with the politicians of the country I live in, as do most of my fellow citizens. In my country piracy is not considered a crime by more than a few. The government has been under pressure from primarily the US for several years now to "handle" the piracy problem, they have caved to this pressure as we have seen in the most recent years. US lobby organisations threatens the sovereignty of little Sweden on another continent because of intellectual property, hilarious isn't it?

Deleted
    do you think it's okay that somebody pirating YOUR own produce without paying.
    Last edited by mmoc3d699a57e6; 2012-02-28 at 07:37 PM.