Poll: You know what to do!!!

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    you cant say no then "they don't exist"...

thats like saying have you seen the other side of the moon? no? oh then it clearly dosn't exist...
    um, no its because they dont exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    And I get tired of people who think we understand everything about the world. The amount of arrogance shown in this thread is disheartening.
    So we agree then?
    "Understanding everything about the world" is pretty much what religious people claim to do. They see a hole in science and jump to conclusions based on dogmatic bias. "We don't understand this yet, so I'll jump to a conclusion based on my own personal bias on the subject." It's the same with people who claim with absolute certainty that God created the Big Bang. We don't yet know for sure what the cause of the Big Bang was, so many religious people immediately jump to the conclusion that God did it.
    I never claimed there not to be an afterlife, I simply said that I don't -think- there is one. What I said was that some people seem to be unable to grasp the possibility that there may not be one, and try to argue with atheists while using the viewpoint that even they believe in an afterlife of sorts, only much duller than spiritual / religious afterlives. (Jaysus, that was a long sentence).

None of this was directed specifically at you, by the way. I don't want to offend anyone.

I dont know if it actually were a ghost... But when i was small and tried to sleep i saw this huge black shadow on my wall. It couldnt have been a shadow from outside since i was living on the 10:th floor(tall building) and there is nothing outside that could make shadows. I checked if it was my own.. but it stretched from my bedside all the way upto the cieling and it was moving constantly...
    Also it was pitch black... all other tones in my room(since it was dark) was darker shades of grey, my own was a very dark grey but nothing was as dark as the shadow i saw...

I had a bedlight and lighten it up and it was gone... turned it off and it slowly started to fade into the wall again. I decided to sleep with my bedlight on...

However it was comming back on the wall even with the bedlight on o_o''...

That night i decided i rush to my parents and sleep over there...
    Pokemon Y Friendcode, PM if you wanna add: 3797-7990-5163
    IGN: GLITCH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    you cant say no then "they don't exist"...

thats like saying have you seen the other side of the moon? no? oh then it clearly dosn't exist...
    There's pretty good evidence that shows the other side of the moon exists.

There's no evidence to show that ghosts exist.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I don't really believe in souls or spirits and therefore ghosts but I do think the energies that naturally surround us can effect our brains and perceptions. Making your brain interpret something that it doesn't understand by drawing conclusions from things you know. For example the UFO abduction thing, In other countries people have the same thing but with demons instead because they do not know the concept of Aliens. The same goes for ghosts.

Deleted
    Ghosts doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Maybe read his sentences a little more careful?

He said:
    All his words said was, it couldn't be explained either way.
    But according to his logic if its paranormal our detectors cannot pick up on it - meaning it must be normal

Quote Originally Posted by zooland View Post
    I have, and believe they exist.

I'm a fairly skeptical person too
    Eh, if you believe in ghosts you are not a "fairly skeptical person". As for the your stories, even if true, I fail to see how you jump to "it was a ghost". A loud noise in the middle of the night? About a million possible causes that have nothing to do with "ghosts". TV turning on? Again, can sound spooky if you don't understand electronics -- I'm not at all surprised that an electronic device might turn on seemingly by itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    How can you see something that dosen't exists?

The world is only build up around what you can register with your sense.
    Sight.
    Hearing.
    Smell.
    Taste.
    Touch.
    And ofc that so called sixth sense, sensing, thought i have my doubts about that one.

So everthing you can't see, hear, smell, taste or touch, dosen't exist. SIMPLE!!!!

So much arrogant people on this thread. mostly reason i dont hang out here and talking about ghost is because most of the comunity are hurr durr do no exist -.-

I like the subject of Paranormal and mythology and aliens. yes am a dude, deal with it!

Kenjinitari, we have more then just 5 senses, its been proven by fact link from cracked: http://www.cracked.com/article_19296...dergarten.html
    Sure i cannot prove they exist, and schientist have come with sugjestion about particle from either space reflect ghost.

My Aunt and Uncle was ones at a new apartment they just bought, when they were going to sleep there for the first time, my uncle woke up one night and see`s a man standing besides their bed. Uncle rises up from the bed and got into fighting position while my aunt screamed. however the Man simply vanish from thin air. later that night they both talked to eachother about what they saw, they both said the same, a man standing by the bed. they spoke to the previous owners and found out that there was a decreased man that used to live there.

but i gotta agree with the sceptics about 1 thing. 90% of all UFO and Ghost videos of the Internet are bullshit. same with the picture, some have dust particle or raindrop at the photo. there are only few clips ive seen i think are amazing

this is one that i think are nice. 0.16 at Disney

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    So much arrogant people on this thread. mostly reason i dont hang out here and talking about ghost is because most of the comunity are hurr durr do no exist -.-
    I love how asserting that something doesn't exist because there's no evidence is "arrogance."

But asserting that something does exist in spite of the lack of evidence is not "arrogance"
    Putin khuliyo

they dont exist. they defy many laws of physics and open up more extraneous problems by existing rather than not existing

furthermore there is absolutely zero evidence outside of anecdotal evidence that suggests ghosts exist.

the only hurr durr is coming from people who have to believe in their possibility.
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

My Aunt and Uncle was ones at a new apartment they just bought, when they were going to sleep there for the first time, my uncle woke up one night and see`s a man standing besides their bed. Uncle rises up from the bed and got into fighting position while my aunt screamed. however the Man simply vanish from thin air. later that night they both talked to eachother about what they saw, they both said the same, a man standing by the bed. they spoke to the previous owners and found out that there was a decreased man that used to live there.
    I've woken up many times absolutely sure I saw a person next to my bed. I just don't see why you'd think it was "ghosts". It just a person waking up from deep sleep in the middle of the night with their brain playing tricks on them. And just about every house has had a deceased person living there.

this is one that i think are nice. 0.16 at Disney
    Again, you only see "ghosts" because you want to see them. I only see funny effect that could be caused by dozens of different things much more plausible than "a dead person walking around as a misty shape".

Uncertain, I do not believe it was a ghost but another, "paranormal" being.

My main experience has been with missing objects having a miraculous reappearance in an emergency (an insulin kit (with sugar pills) left 100 miles away suddenly reappearing in your lap when a diabetic's blood sugar is at 20 for instance (about to go into a coma). Twice in life or death scenarios there has been results that were just unexplainable.
    Last edited by DraconusIX; 2012-02-29 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that we actually CAN measure how dolphins communicate - we can measure the sound waves, we can measure the pheromones, we can measure brain signals - Whether we can interpret them is irrelevant to our ability to measure and quantify the information
    Until we know what is being passed in those messages, we have no idea whether or not we can measure dolphin communication.

There are no "ifs", "buts" or "maybes". We can NOT measure their communication, all we can say is that the noise is there. Until we quantify it (which we can't), we're going off guesswork. If that's what passes for science these days, I worry for the future.

I find it incredibly ammusing that you keep yapping on about how there are things that our instruments can pick up and using flawed examples to do so and then you go on to tell your story about something you suppose might be paranormal because YOU cant explain it because - ding ding ding - your instruments picked it up
    What I find amusing is your dismissal of an entire post of considerations being boiled back down to your singular point that's already been disproven; probably because accepting that you are endorsing double-standards is devastating to the card tower masquerading as your argument. What's even more amusing is the horrendous grasp of logic you must possess to have arrived at the conclusion that I'm somehow arguing our instruments are actually picking up ghosts.

Here is why you believe what you do, and why you think it's correct:

Science explains everything that exists.
    Science doesn't explain ghosts.
    Therefore, ghosts don't exist.

At first pass, that looks great - perfectly logical. Except for the fact that both premises have to be accurate before the conclusion can be considered necessarily correct and, in this case, they're not. Science does not explain everything that exists, meaning the conclusion is false straight off the bat.

Now you can snide and sneer, or "find amusement" in whatever you like - I honestly don't mind. But what you clearly can't do is shift out of your little box of duality and accept things that are logically self-evident. For you, every single post you've made, boils down to this:

Either you can scientifically prove something, or it doesn't exist.

Any erudite person knows that there is very little difference in your position to that of a Christian fundamentalist. You "believe" something to be true (despite overwhelming volumes of evidence to the contrary) so anything that doesn't conform can't be right.

At a guess, you're not far out of college. Once you've gotten involved in paranormal research of any kind, you'll find that your basis of "real" and "impossible" changes quite remarkably.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    if you can't accurately rule what it is then the logical course is to call it an unsolved mystery. saying any unsolved mystery is even closely related to 'paranormal' is foolhardy.
    Absolutely 100% correct. Attributing anything to something you cannot prove is bad practice. Yet, it's funny how so-called scientists are quite happy to attribute mundane explanations to phenomena they cannot find mundane evidence for.

How odd.

measuring things and interpreting them are two completely different things. we don't readily know what dolphins are saying when they speak but we know they are speaking. we can measure the pitch, the frequency, the distance, the level of activity inside of their brain when they say it, what organs they use to say it, and pretty much everything outside how they interpret it. we can't even measure ghosts. like at all.
    Right... So we don't know what they're saying, but we know they're speaking?

Good luck getting that through any logical scrutiny.

The fact you're still sticking to ugly terms like "speaking" means you really don't get the point at all.

you severely underestimate how powerful our scientific equipment has gotten. we have equipment that can measure things so far beyond what our brain can even conceive that your idea that our machines are flawed due to our perception is factually and ideologically wrong.
    One of my group is an engineer (Howard Wolowitz for the win). And telling me I'm ideologically wrong, when you're arguing that we've somehow built things we can't actually conceive, is almost funny.

Almost funny, because it's actually a bit tragic.

the inability to look at physical properties and hold on to your belief that ghosts exist is whats small minded.
    I do not recall saying that ghosts exist. Can you please quote where I did so, Mr. Open-mindedness?

hallucinations happen a fucking lot. you just dont notice them or you have a misguided view of what a hallucination is. it's simply seeing something that isn't there. seeing a pattern and making it a face is a hallucination. and that happens a lot.
    Your definition contradicts itself; might you like to give it another go?

ghosts do not exist. do you know why? because it is physically impossible. take a remedial physics coarse and you'll see why.
    Nice try - the cocunut is still firmly on the stand, and I didn't even have to nail it down.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    You implied that adolescent minds can't cobble together the idea of pretending to be demonically possessed. What those girls did wasn't something so complex that an adolescent can't come up with on their own.
    I'd recommend reading the source material again. Actually, their "reports" were remarkably vivid considering their age, upbringing and environment.

For my money, it was a convoluted attempt by their father to reinvigorate a fading congregation. My only disagreement with you lies in your dismissal of phenomena without a full grasp of what occurred (which I don't have either, incidentally).

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    I've woken up many times absolutely sure I saw a person next to my bed. I just don't see why you'd think it was "ghosts". It just a person waking up from deep sleep in the middle of the night with their brain playing tricks on them. And just about every house has had a deceased person living there.
    This is a very important point. Hypnopompic states are a psychological phenomena, often interpreted as paranormal, and manifest as little more than hallucinations. The opposite side, hypnogogic, is just before you nod off and can preempt things like lucid dreaming, where your imagination runs wild as during normal dreaming but you remain conscious throughout.

These are not paranormal, but are very interesting avenues of research.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Again, you only see "ghosts" because you want to see them. I only see funny effect that could be caused by dozens of different things much more plausible than "a dead person walking around as a misty shape".
    Much of what people "see" is determined by their genetic hard-wiring, as well as what the brain tries to create an image from. This is a horrid description, but what basically happens is similar to a web browser that finds a bad link; it resolves the information to a good link and puts up the page you were (hopefully) looking for. The brain sees something that it can't identify from past experience, so tries to "resolve" what you're seeing with a visual image that you can personally relate to. Very often, this is why shadows appear to be dark figures - it's essentially the brain plugging gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
    Absolutely 100% correct. Attributing anything to something you cannot prove is bad practice. Yet, it's funny how so-called scientists are quite happy to attribute mundane explanations to phenomena they cannot find mundane evidence for.

How odd.
    what the hell are you talking about. what phenomena was so out of the ordinary that very realistic explanations couldn't even be warranted? you seem to not grasp how frequent our brain makes up patterns into shapes or how easily sun spots hit shitty camera lenses and just how extremely implausible the conception of a ghost actually is to be able to say that "well that weird little spot on the video must have been a ghost"

i mean shit dude, I really could make a simple movie like that in photoshop. It's not difficult. there's a reason why every bit of 'evidence' has been nothing more than 'footage' from shitty cameras. because shitty cameras are faulty, because rigging a film is easy, and because there IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS.

Right... So we don't know what they're saying, but we know they're speaking?

Good luck getting that through any logical scrutiny.

The fact you're still sticking to ugly terms like "speaking" means you really don't get the point at all.
    I don't know what a russian person is saying but I am certain they are speaking. your move sherlock.

One of my group is an engineer (Howard Wolowitz for the win). And telling me I'm ideologically wrong, when you're arguing that we've somehow built things we can't actually conceive, is almost funny.

Almost funny, because it's actually a bit tragic.
    you are wrong. we build machines that can perceive X RAYS GAMMA RAYS, INFRARED, ULTRA VIOLET, RADIO WAVES, NUTRINOS, ELECTRONS, PROTONS, NEUTRONS, GLUONS and just about every other thing imaginable. none of these things are even detectable by humans. its tragic that you're an engineer and you don't know that.

I do not recall saying that ghosts exist. Can you please quote where I did so, Mr. Open-mindedness?
    your argument that ghosts have potential works well enough. they dont. come up with compelling evidence and i'll retract my statement.

Your definition contradicts itself; might you like to give it another go?
    where's the contradiction magilla gorilla. i'm dying to know. actually take the time to read and process the words too.

Nice try - the cocunut is still firmly on the stand, and I didn't even have to nail it down.
    well the cheese and apple dun did get the worm gosh darn it hyuck!

seriously dude, i dont know what point that mindless dribble was supposed to make but pick up a fucking physics book. explain how something can consist of no detectable matter but can still be seen and heard and somehow move intangibly through objects and defy the laws of gravity whilst still complying with them.

there IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS.
    I say it is a matter of definition. What if we define word "ghost" mean just a human shaped halucination that people often see in same general area? Notice how I didn't say anything that sceptics couldn't agree (I think).

Why can't this discussion be objectively about something like that. I'm often sceptic about lot of things, but I did see something. Lets say it was a generally human shaped halucination then. I didn't hear any noises or anything, but those are also attributed to "ghosts" often so just term "halucination" isnt enough.

When talking about ghosts people immediately have their own ideas about it. I do not believe its a dead person or anything. But why do they apear in same areas and people tend to see/hear same things. Not to mention some weirder things that HAVE been recored on video (not talking about light spots or anything...thats dust or bugs). What is it for real? People are bashing it down immediately a discussion is started about it so it never gets anywhere.
    Last edited by Morae; 2012-02-29 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I say it is a matter of definition. What if we define word "ghost" mean just a human shaped halucination that people often in same general area? Notice how I didn't say anything that sceptics couldn't agree (I think).
    well if we define ghosts as to something else i suppose you then could find a point to where ghosts do exist

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    And I get tired of people who think we understand everything about the world. The amount of arrogance shown in this thread is disheartening.
    I don't think all of the people here arguing against ghosts believe they understand EVERYTHING about the world. However due to current lack of any properly documented events of ghosts, it seems currently more likely that they do not exist, rather than exist.

I get tired of people thinking that every time they experience something they do not understand, it's something spiritual or ghostly. See where I'm going with it? As a scientist, I do not believe I know or understand everything, I just have never experienced ghosts, nor seen properly documented events of them, thus I do not believe. If you came to me and asked; Would you believe in creatures who aren't like us in any way, that could perhaps act like ghosts, exists on other planets in the universe, I'd be more with you. But currently on Earth, I just don't see any reason to believe them existing here.

no, all instances of "ghost" activity have been possible to prove wrong. my GF believes in them but i definitely don't.

there is other reasons why it accurate, many, and im not gonna discuss them all now.

one is hallucination, from different reasons. like when your very sick, or VERY tired, or also wishful thinking can course hallucination
    there is no good signatures with so little signature space - Nivius