Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    to put it in wow terms, its a creative use of game mechanics which will not get you a ban, but should be hotfixed in the future, and if you tell people you used this game mechanic in that specific way, they will look down on you.

you are an ass, and yes he screwed up too, but he sounds like a regular boss, and the only reason you brought up his personal life was to benefit yourself

you probably will not be sued, but damn straight you will be ridiculed
    "Don't eat yellow snow."

Posted by Catastrophe
    Is it truly selfish of me to not want to help someone I don't know at absolutely no benefit to myself?
    Aika kultaa muistot = Time goldens all memories

Quote Originally Posted by Sjackson21 View Post
    he is a small guy...
    He can be a small guy with a knife/gun...

That's pretty damned pathetic. You're failing to do the stuff that you are getting paid to do, he complains and you get him fired. That is absolutely pathetic and you've not only cost him but his family. His family has done nothing to you, I'm sure.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    i bet a sneaky laywer would test the hair of the boss which can prove he wasnt smoking at the time you said he were if he hasnt been smoking a day or 2 beforehand
    That would a waste of time lawyer. Dude got fired, maybe it was for drugs and maybe it was for something else entirely unrelated. But whether or not he was smoking pot is immaterial because the person who reported it knew he was saying something he did not know was true.

The strongest defense to Libel is truth, but truth is only a good defense if you knew you were saying the truth. If you threw a dart with your eyes closed and hit a bulls-eye? Well, it's your lucky day, but you can still get sued for libel, slander, etc.

@ OP, you ought to be ready and have a good lawyer in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    That's pretty damned pathetic. You're failing to do the stuff that you are getting paid to do, he complains and you get him fired. That is absolutely pathetic and you've not only cost him but his family. His family has done nothing to you, I'm sure.
    As pathetic as it is, the moron was still smoking pot...not sure where you're going with that post because he screwed himself by making that decision.

What you did was really a dick move; the guy was just doing his job. Either way, he tested positive and that's all that really matters in the end. So no, you won't get in trouble for making that story up.

15+ Year Old Account
    So how exactly did he know it was you who reported him? That type of stuff is supposed to be kept confidential.

This is...silly.

So your boss is reminding you to do something that is common courtesy, such as arriving on time to work or shaving, so you get him fired in such a way that he can't even get unemployment? I guess his biggest mistake was giving dirt to spiteful people that could abuse it when he does -his job- to keep them in line.
    You just better hope his replacement smokes pot or does something even more illegal too because they aren't going to be a pushover either, probably even less. :P

going to be honest man, that was a dick move. you don't potentially ruin someones life because you don't like them. you were working for him, so if you value you job shaving and being on time are not the biggest deal. I guess it depends on the type of job. If this was just a basic job I would say who cares, but if this was a good job then you could have really messed him up and or his family.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm mostly with everyone else here. No, he can't and won't sue you.
    Oh yes he can sue the OP:

Specific requirements that a plaintiff must prove in order to recover in a defamation action differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Under the Restatement (Second) of Torts, which is drafted by the American Law Institute and has been influential among state courts, a plaintiff must prove four elements.

First, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff.
    Second, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party.
    Third, the plaintiff must prove that the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication.
    Fourth, in some cases, the plaintiff must prove special damages.

Defamatory Statements

One essential element in any defamation action is that the defendant published something defamatory about the plaintiff. The Restatement defines a communication as defamatory "if it tends so to harm the reputation of another as to lower him in the estimation of the community or to deter third persons from associating with him." Examples of defamatory statements are virtually limitless and may include any of the following:

A communication that imputes a serious crime involving moral turpitude or a felony
    A communication that exposes a plaintiff to hatred
    A communication that reflects negatively on the plaintiff's character, morality, or integrity
    A communication that impairs the plaintiff's financial well-being
    A communication that suggests that the plaintiff suffers from a physical or mental defect that would cause others to refrain from associating with the plaintiff
    From: http://injury.findlaw.com/defamation...d-slander.html

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    No, he got what he deserved because obviously that company doesn't want their employees smoking marijuana. Doing something that puts your job at risk and getting fired, yes you fucking deserve. And I'M the one that is close minded huh?
    Thats not your basis. Your basis is from a judgemental holier than though attitude. He doesnt deserve to get fired because he smokes pot on his offtime. Its an illogical, flawed law and policy by companies and law enforcement agencies and should have no bearing WHATSOEVER on someones employment tenure. There is no law against people getting drunk off their asses and showing up for work tanked out of their mind. Youre just closed minded, ignorant, and probably have zero friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asher1611 View Post
    The guy just lost his job, he'd be screwing himself even more especially since he failed the drug test obviously. Not cheap to sue someone...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even though he had weed in his system when they tested him, you have no physical or video proof that he was smoking a joint at that particular time. I used to work in law enforcement and you could be charged with filing a false report. I don't think that's enough to get you put in jail though. Not positive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoukyaku View Post
    Thats not your basis. Your basis is from a judgemental holier than though attitude. He doesnt deserve to get fired because he smokes pot on his offtime. Its an illogical, flawed law and policy by companies and law enforcement agencies and should have no bearing WHATSOEVER on someones employment tenure. There is no law against people getting drunk off their asses and showing up for work tanked out of their mind. Youre just closed minded, ignorant, and probably have zero friends.
    It doesn't matter how flawed it is, IT'S A FUCKING LAW. Flawed or not it's illegal, it was obviously in his system so he broke the law, so he was fired.

You may have manipulated him taking the test, but it was up to him to pass or fail. HE (being the objective word here) failed the test. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    It doesn't matter how flawed it is, IT'S A FUCKING LAW. Flawed or not it's illegal, it was obviously in his system so he broke the law, so he was fired.
    And once again, youre closed minded, ignorant, and probably have zero friends. Perhaps you should join forces with the OP and form a unit, cus odds are no one likes either of you irl.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reality is you SHOULD be on time and presentable at work.

You will definitely not go to jail, but he can bring a suit against your for destroying his image, and it's very likely you could lose your job as well.

Defamation of Character:
    Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.
    Last edited by Kegler; 2012-02-27 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoukyaku View Post
    And once again, youre closed minded, ignorant, and probably have zero friends. Perhaps you should join forces with the OP and form a unit, cus odds are no one likes either of you irl.
    Ah, insults on the internet, the sure sign of someone with a High School education.

Lawl, petty people like you are whats wrong with the world. Your boss gets on your ass for fucking up at work, and not doing what you are supposed to, so you act like a little bitch and make some shit up to get him fired? You deserve to have an ass beating.

No, he wouldn't win a law suit most likely, but you are still a bitch.
    Last edited by cherb; 2012-02-27 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjackson21 View Post
    My boss and i never have got along he is always very picky about me being in on time, me shaving and i just don't like him.. Last week I called corporate office and told them i caught him smoking marijuana behind the shed at work (i didn't but i knew he smoked weed) I wrote down the time that he went on break (he always goes out the back door to go call his wife while on lunch) when they reviewed the cameras they saw him going out the back door...they drug tested him and he was fired, he said he was gonna sue me and get me sent to jail, i'm kind of worried, i'm happy he is gone, but i'm worried i could face legal trouble over making everything up.
    I think you should be fired for being a douche and robbing someone of their livelihood just because you are too damned lazy to wake up a little early, shave, and make it to work on time. Regardless of what he did/does do, it still sounds like you are a shitbag employee.

If the shoe fits, wear it.