Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Stats scale down

    I saw that your stats are lowered when you enter a zone lower than your current level. I can understand that this keeps content challenging regardless of the area you're in.

    1. Does this mean your gear has no real benefit unless you're at max level AND in max level zone?
    2. Does stat reduction apply to both PVE and PVP targets? If it applies to PVP targets, there will be very little griefing I presume.

  2. #2
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,687
    1. The game is not gear-centric, you won't get super gear upgrades at max level either.

    2. In PvP you are always scaled to max level even with a brand new char you will be level 80 but you will obviously have worse gear and be missing some abilities.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    1. The game is not gear-centric, you won't get super gear upgrades at max level either.

    2. In PvP you are always scaled to max level even with a brand new char you will be level 80 but you will obviously have worse gear and be missing some abilities.
    And to this we add that there wount be any greifing in the open world, becouse there are no such thing as a pvp server

  4. #4
    Gear and stats are sorta minor in the Guild Wars franchise. The skills & traits you accumulate over the course of 80 levels are a bigger deal.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aarjun View Post
    2. Does stat reduction apply to both PVE and PVP targets? If it applies to PVP targets, there will be very little griefing I presume.
    1. If you enter structured PvP with any level/gear you get lvl 80 character with fixed gear and stats for balanse purposes.
    Competetive play, no grind.

    2. If you enter WvW your level and base stats get scaled up to 80 (if you are not 80) so you have a chance to fight against others.
    (Note: base stats) Other people can benefit from extra gear they acquired which you might not have if you joined in straight after tutorial or didn't have a chance to get something; but there shouldn't be much of a power gap anyway.

    3. There is no pvp outside 1 and 2, you won't get ganked or lose to get/level/stats disadvantage in open world.

    You also get experience and gear/loot while in WvW.
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-02-27 at 11:22 PM.

  6. #6
    1 your stats will scale down to the expected value for someone at the top end of the level range for the zone. We do not know if this is a flat number or if its a % based yet. Its likely that if you never upgrade your gear even downscaled you'll be weaker than someone that is keeping their gear up to date with their true level.

    2 the reverse happens in PVP. Structured PVP everybody is 80 with identical gear stats and all traites/skills unlocked. For the world PVP everybody's base stats are scaled to 80 but not their additional gear bonuses so a low level will be weaker but still have a chance to outplay a true 80. World pvp also happens in its own area, you have to specificly go there so there is no potential equivelent to a max level corpse camping the poor guy trying to level up in stranglethorn vale.

    Who is John Galt?

  7. #7
    the gear bonuses will still be better than gear without bonuses even with those bonuses scaled down. So gear will still make you a tiny bit stronger.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aarjun View Post
    I saw that your stats are lowered when you enter a zone lower than your current level. I can understand that this keeps content challenging regardless of the area you're in.

    1. Does this mean your gear has no real benefit unless you're at max level AND in max level zone?
    2. Does stat reduction apply to both PVE and PVP targets? If it applies to PVP targets, there will be very little griefing I presume.
    Gear at max level is better, but not like how it is in wow where it's such a drastic change. A level 80 in 80 gear dropped to level 30 facing a level 30 in respective gear will dominate. Also, if you're higher level then the area you are in, then you scale down. Not to the level of the zone, but a few levels higher so that you won't just kill everything in one hit, but you also won't be a pushover.

    And PvP stats were explained in every other post.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    And to this we add that there wount be any greifing in the open world, becouse there are no such thing as a pvp server
    I'm a bit sad about this, I enjoy random fights out in the middle of nowhere. I do not understand how this is greifing, If someone plays on a pvp server they should expect or even want it, if they don't that's what pve servers are for.

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    I'm a bit sad about this, I enjoy random fights out in the middle of nowhere. I do not understand how this is greifing, If someone plays on a pvp server they should expect or even want it, if they don't that's what pve servers are for.
    I enjoy random fights, myself. What I don't enjoy are guys 20 levels than you are higher camping you for the fun of it. Anet fixed this issue by lowering the level/stats of people entering a lower zone so there can be no "griefing" of lower players. I will be a little upset that I can't just fight a guy randomly but then again, I can just do a 5v5 or WvW if I really am feeling bloodthirsty.

    I think Anet is not allowing open world pvp because not everyone likes it. And they rather people focus more on organized pvp than 1v1.
    WoW: Fiska 90 Holy Paladin (Mal'ganis) Aliyra 90 Mistweaver Monk (Korgath)
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

  11. #11
    gw2 is about community building, and being an ass and grief your server mates, doesnt do that

  12. #12
    Perhaps the WvW will satisfy those wanting world pvp.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    I think Anet is not allowing open world pvp because not everyone likes it. And they rather people focus more on organized pvp than 1v1.
    That's why I think there should be PvP servers and non pvp servers. Allowing stats to scale down keeps that 20+ higher level person from destroying you. This would make everyone in one zone about the same in terms of power and could lead to some epic pvp battles. Especially with no factions out in the wilderness it could be free for all. If you don't want this you could move to a non pvp server for free via the transfer system.

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral Speedy92286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    That's why I think there should be PvP servers and non pvp servers. Allowing stats to scale down keeps that 20+ higher level person from destroying you. This would make everyone in one zone about the same in terms of power and could lead to some epic pvp battles. Especially with no factions out in the wilderness it could be free for all. If you don't want this you could move to a non pvp server for free via the transfer system.
    While I do agree, anet might not want to go in this direction. However, I would not be surprised if in the future they add some sort of dueling area.
    WoW: Fiska 90 Holy Paladin (Mal'ganis) Aliyra 90 Mistweaver Monk (Korgath)
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    That's why I think there should be PvP servers and non pvp servers. Allowing stats to scale down keeps that 20+ higher level person from destroying you. This would make everyone in one zone about the same in terms of power and could lead to some epic pvp battles. Especially with no factions out in the wilderness it could be free for all. If you don't want this you could move to a non pvp server for free via the transfer system.
    The problem with this idea is that it will divide the community into basically those that are "strong and aren't scared of pvp" and "wussies who don't want to pvp outside" or some other ridiculous nonsense. This goes completely against the overall theme that Anet is trying to promote: which is a unified community in which you are not punished for meeting someone outside and instead are rewarded for helping.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    That's why I think there should be PvP servers and non pvp servers. Allowing stats to scale down keeps that 20+ higher level person from destroying you. This would make everyone in one zone about the same in terms of power and could lead to some epic pvp battles. Especially with no factions out in the wilderness it could be free for all. If you don't want this you could move to a non pvp server for free via the transfer system.
    Even if your level scales down, and your stats, you still have access to a larger number of skills than a lower level player.
    If you as a lvl 30 decide to jump a lvl 10, you'd win every single time (exception: terribad player), simply because by 30, you can access your elite skills and these pack quite a punch.

    As far as I recall they said they wanted to bring back the "server-pride" to MMOs, it were very present in vanilla WoW and it was most certainly present in DAoC.
    I'm happy with their no open pvp approach but I do understand why some of the gankers arent.

  17. #17
    Scaling will be a good thing, some will hate it but hey this game is not for everyone. I think it is a great idea; in other MMO's there are loads of places I have never been to because of out leveling. It will be nice to be able to go to these areas regardless of level and experience the content as it was meant to be and also no high level players ganking mobs for fun.

    How much content do you think is missed in other MMO's because of out leveling? Scaling means MUCH more content for us to experience, will be great to be able to do the content we want to do again (though not quite the same due to DE).

    All in all Anet are doing a great job in creating a system that will stop us sitting around in city's redoing the same contend for the gear to do the same content on a higher difficulty.
    Last edited by MetalBoot; 2012-02-28 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Needing to sum up

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    The problem with this idea is that it will divide the community into basically those that are "strong and aren't scared of pvp" and "wussies who don't want to pvp outside" or some other ridiculous nonsense. This goes completely against the overall theme that Anet is trying to promote: which is a unified community in which you are not punished for meeting someone outside and instead are rewarded for helping.
    I think the problem lies in how you view open world pvp. I see it as a reward to fight some random player while we level. You find ways to outsmart each other and get the kill, breaking the boring redundancy of grinding to max level. We all play a game to have fun and I find it a lot more fun and rewarding to spend an hour pvping another player than smacking npc's. If you view open world pvp in that light then you are rewarded for helping another player enjoy the game, by having more fun yourself. Players without this mindset really don't belong in a PvP server.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    I'm a bit sad about this, I enjoy random fights out in the middle of nowhere. I do not understand how this is greifing, If someone plays on a pvp server they should expect or even want it, if they don't that's what pve servers are for.
    WvW is Arenanet's answer to world PVP. As there are PVE objectives in WvW it essentially amounts to world PVP with people specifically interested in PVPing.

  20. #20
    By the sounds of it they're keeping gear the same as in GW. That is, it doesn't have a huge amount of class-helping stats on it. It can't be compared to WoW gear, where you'd happily abandon a piece because a new one gives a 0.2% upgrade, as gear is mainly focused on more armour and survivability, base increases (In GW original it was energy increases) and bad-assery. This seems like it's done in tiers, rather than individual pieces being slightly better or worse than each other.

    So scaling up/down shouldn't really matter all that much in terms of your gear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •