Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Daytona 500

Not even 1 lap in and they wreck.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hear turning left is hard

10+ Year Old Account
    And now they're under red flag for some idiot driver (Montoya) crashing into one of the safety trucks which started a fire. No one was severely injured fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yep. This makes me wonder why NASCAR is still seen as "the" racing series here in the US.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-02-28 at 04:04 AM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    And now they're under red flag for some idiot driver (Montoya) crashing into one of the safety trucks which started a fire. No one was severely injured fortunately.

Yep. This makes me wonder why NASCAR is still seen as "the" racing series here in the US.
    Because the people who watch it are sometimes stupid and ignorant towards Formula 1 racing because it's European? Then again, all the bends might confuse both their drivers and the audience. Formula 1 takes more skill, too bad NASCAR is so overblown in America people will never realize it. I will never see the appeal of watching people drive in a circle for 4 hours. Couldn't that gasoline be better used elsewhere, even if it isn't regular grade fuel? Seems stupid to drive 500 miles where nothing happens until someone crashes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the people who watch it are sometimes stupid and ignorant towards Formula 1 racing because it's European? Then again, all the bends might confuse both their drivers and the audience. Formula 1 takes more skill, too bad NASCAR is so overblown in America people will never realize it. I will never see the appeal of watching people drive in a circle for 4 hours. Couldn't that gasoline be better used elsewhere, even if it isn't regular grade fuel? Seems stupid to drive 500 miles where nothing happens until someone crashes.
    Well, it's not only their ignorance to F1. There are other racing series here in the US that actually do more than turn in circles, (ALMS, Grand-Am, IndyCar to an extent, etc.) but NASCAR has shown to get the most attention, and is where most of the racing money is.

And on the fuel argument, I haven't heard any complaints about endurance races like 24 Hours at LeMans being a "waste of fuel". It's again due to such ignorance.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Honestly, I would like to see you people drive over 200 MPH inches from other cars. It's harder then it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Honestly, I would like to see you people drive over 200 MPH inches from other cars. It's harder then it looks.
    That's also true too. Still doesn't change the fact that NASCAR gets more attention than other racing series in the US.

And the red flag for Montoya's idiotic incident is over, 40 laps to go now.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    It's....still...going, wow. It was delayed apparently from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Montoya goes boom, two more hours. It's almost 1 a.m. there, and they're still going. Go Kenseth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's....still...going, wow. It was delayed apparently from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Montoya goes boom, two more hours. It's almost 1 a.m. there, and they're still going. Go Kenseth!
    And it's Kenseth that gets the win, he looked great most of the race toward the end. Grats to him!
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Dalaran, hiding whoopie cushions under Rhonin's chair.
    Kenseth actually won? I kinda tuned out after Montoya turned into a fireball and completely halted everything.
    Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and for thy possession, the ends of the earth. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron. Thou shalt dash them in pieces, like a potter's vessel. Be wise now therefore ye kings. Be admonished ye judges of the earth. Serve the lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son lest he be angry, and ye perish in the way, though his wrath be kindled but a little.

First time I've watched Nascar in almost a decade, and I'm greeted with this.Great googly moogly, I may start watching it again.
    Turning left isn't hard.It's turning left while going 200 miles an hour with 40 other guys around that's a bit harder.Even more so when you've got a rocket with two wheels between your legs, BUT that's a completely different sport.
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2012-02-28 at 07:20 AM.

Racing at Daytona is alot more than just turning left. With the new rule changes this race was the first daytona race in like 2-3 years where they had to re-learn how to race on that track. Because NASCAR fans didnt like the 2-tandom racing at both Daytona and Talledega for the past 2 years the changes made to the car no longer allow for that type of racing as your car overheats. Its back to pack racing which alot of drivers havent experienced this kind of racing in the past 2 years.

Because its new for everyone there is alot more to it than just turning left. Infact most wrecks caused over this weekend at Daytona in the Spring cup were caused by pushing on the left bumper of the car infront causing them to get loose and spin out.

I hear driving cars is considered a sport

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-02-29 at 03:06 AM.

N. A. S. C. A. R.

N on
    A thletic
    S port
    C reated
    A round
    R ednecks

And no, I am not prejudice. I sat there last night and watched the entire race from start to finish, including the 2 hour delay due to the "car-b-que."

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-02-29 at 03:06 AM.
    "How do you write women so well?" - Blonde woman that doesn't expect what is about to happen ...
    "I think of a man ... and I take away reason, and accountability." - Melvin (Jack Nicholson), As Good As It Gets

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, so fun to bash on NASCAR. Save it, it's not clever.

Actually, ever since I met my wife, I have become more of a fan simply because she is. I can appreciate the level of effort and fitness these drivers have to devote to their profession.
    "How do you write women so well?" - Blonde woman that doesn't expect what is about to happen ...
    "I think of a man ... and I take away reason, and accountability." - Melvin (Jack Nicholson), As Good As It Gets

The engineers and builders of these cars and trucks should be commended. Despite montoya hitting a truck loaded with jet fuel, the numerous accidents over a 3 day period, there were no fatalities and no serious injuries. I dont know about you, but that was something the sport could have taken a serious hit for if something much worse happened.

excellent work by the crews, the builders and the designers.

Also, Danica Patrick got off to an awful start this season. Unable to finish the nationwide race, and then the first few laps of the Sprint race and shes gone. It's gonna be a long season for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    The engineers and builders of these cars and trucks should be commended. Despite montoya hitting a truck loaded with jet fuel, the numerous accidents over a 3 day period, there were no fatalities and no serious injuries. I dont know about you, but that was something the sport could have taken a serious hit for if something much worse happened.

excellent work by the crews, the builders and the designers.

Also, Danica Patrick got off to an awful start this season. Unable to finish the nationwide race, and then the first few laps of the Sprint race and shes gone. It's gonna be a long season for her.
    On the fire, yes it could have been worse, if for say, Montoya crashed into the truck while it was near the grandstands.

And it's funny how there's already talk about Patrick "not belonging" in NASCAR after her terrible starts, which were mostly out of her control.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

It wasn't Montoya's fault he hit the truck. If you watch the videos, you can clearly see something broke on his car which made him lose control of his car. You people are silly to think he was being careless.

10+ Year Old Account
    *yawn*

Wake me up in June when they drive on a real course.