Deleted

Best game recorder for SSD?

Uncompressed video is too big for the SSD.

Recommendations on software other than fraps?

If it's a newer SSD then recording should be fine, it's the file size which limits the potential, afaik.
    Last edited by glauber; 2012-02-28 at 01:21 AM.

I'm no SSD expert, but have certainly heard otherwise. The new SSD's are able to withstand writes a lot better, but don't take my word for it. My SSD performance has not decreased at all, and I usually write to it a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glauber View Post
    I'm no SSD expert, but have certainly heard otherwise. The new SSD's are able to withstand writes a lot better, but don't take my word for it. My SSD performance has not decreased at all, and I usually write to it a lot.
    I wouldn't take your word for it.
    Solid state drives still have a write life. So if you want to maximize your SSD's life, writing it entirely over a few times a day (assuming it's like a 120gb and you're doing about 30 minutes of footage a day. Most people record each attempt at a raid boss, or an entire battleground in pvp.) will kill it.

Good to know.

It can be confusing with lots of different opinions on this, from what I've read at least.

How about writing/deleting media such as videos? Using it for photoshop?

If SSD's didn't have a write limit, the size of the drive wouldn't have mattered that much if recording PvP or simply waiting for something awesome to happen, thanks to the loop buffer. But since they do have a write limit, anything I just said is completely pointless, so to save face and partake in the constructive discussion;

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Assuming each 30 second clip is 4GB (quite standard)
    Sorry to barge in like this and quote such a small part of a great and informative post, but...
    Each fraps file (3,98gb or some such) for me is always 1m59s, and I record at 1920x1080 at 29,97fps and Full-size, and I was under the impression that was pretty standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Triazha View Post
    Uncompressed video is too big for the SSD.

Recommendations on software other than fraps?
    That's why you compress it with a program like Movie Maker or Vegas Pro (otherwise SSD isn't ment for large video files). Let the video process while you are sleeping or somthing. After it is finished just delete the files. Now if you are making those hour long "Lets Play Minecraft!" videos that are flooding youtube, I can see the problem then.

Record on a second drive, you gain nothing by recording to the SSD, unless you have a second drive that cant write 50-70mb/s.

I've had 30 second clips that have taken up the 4GB limit of each file. They're not all that uncommon i'd say.
    My fraps files are around 4GB for 2min, 1920x1080 @ 30fps, you would have to record at pretty high fps to get files like that (which I wouldnt do, because I would convert them to 30fps anyway).
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I've had 30 second clips that have taken up the 4GB limit of each file. They're not all that uncommon i'd say.
    What settings do you record with? I assume Lossless RGB is ticked, amongst other things?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    Record on a second drive, you gain nothing by recording to the SSD, unless you have a second drive that cant write 50-70mb/s.

My fraps files are around 4GB for 2min, 1920x1080 @ 30fps, you would have to record at pretty high fps to get files like that (which I wouldnt do, because I would convert them to 30fps anyway).
    4gb / 2min = ~34Mb/s. I can't think of any drive that can't handle that, including Green-class drives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here, I'll put it in a way that makes stupid arguements about file size and fraps settings ENTIRELY irrelevant.

Constantly writing to an SSD drive is an awful idea. It compromises your write life and deteriorates performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    That's why you compress it with a program like Movie Maker or Vegas Pro (otherwise SSD isn't ment for large video files). Let the video process while you are sleeping or somthing. After it is finished just delete the files. Now if you are making those hour long "Lets Play Minecraft!" videos that are flooding youtube, I can see the problem then.
    If you delete it, you've still used the write life by writing onto it in the first place, and are using even more by copying a video to it. (HD video has an insanely large file size, so it even further compromises the write life.)

BOTTOM LINE:
    Don't write video to your SSD. Pictures are "fine" (You really shouldn't put any media on your SSD) but video is a much larger issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't write to an SSD. SSD's aren't storage drives, they are active drives. Write to a mechanical drive and use the SSD for something useful, like putting the games you play or installing Windows to it.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right