Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tech for the masses...
    It wasn't long ago that the MP train was out of control with cameras now we have phones with totally useless amount of it.
    But the target is clear "impress the dumb consumers that will just see the 41 MP and will be impressed"

You barely need anything beyond 5MP especially on a phone with a hideous lens

And the nail in the coffin Symbian....symbian
    Last edited by Keosen; 2012-02-28 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    The resolution of the sample-pics disagree with you.
    What's the point in having a 41 mp phone-camera with 33.6 effective mp? Using a screen with the same PPI as, let's say, a 30" 2560x1600 screen, it'd have to be 88.1" to display these pictures in full resolution. Most of these pics will be shrunk by Facebook (<-- the place 90% of the pics'll be uploaded) to something like ~960x650, which is 624 kp; 1.85% of the original size. Being shrunk so much, 'specially by Facebook rather than by PhotoShop, it'll be so lacking of sharpenss and detail that 28-30 of the 33.6 effective mp will be utterly redundant.

This is the sharpness and detail that you lose when, through PhotoShop, reducing a 10.2 effective mp DSLR-picture to 800px heigth; imagine the result when you shrink a 33.6 effective mp camera phone-pic.
    I don't get the argument about the fact that FB lowers quality of foto's so having a phone that can take higher quality picture by definition useless... A fail argument

And what I said about Nokia combining 7 pixels into 1 is true and the pics you take is standard set at 5MP. It is just that they take 7 pixels and combine it into a single pixel. See link below for better explanation.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7...ixel-pictures/

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Tech for the masses...
    It wasn't long ago that the MP train was out of control with cameras now we have phones with totally useless amount of it.
    But the target is clear "impress the dumb consumers that will just see the 41 MP and will be impressed"

You barely need anything beyond 5MP especially on a phone with a hideous lens

And the nail in the coffin Symbian....symbian
    It isn't their intention to impress with just numbers, Nokia developed a technology which actually makes use of the 41.

15+ Year Old Account
    It isn't their intention to impress with just numbers, Nokia developed a technology which actually makes use of the 41.
    Still curious how they deal with the lens problem. All I see is just alot of moronic hype to fool customers who fall for numberspam.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny when the D800 hit with a FX (35mm sensor) with 33 MP, pros were already discussing the fact that it may be too many megapixels due to issues of lense ability/sensor size. Now a phone with a sensor what, 1/20th the size of a DSLR has 33% more megapizels.

I'd be hard pressed to be convinced this is anthing more than a marketing ploy. That being said, camera phones in general are certainly getting better, and it's going to be interesting to see how canon and nikon react to their point and shoot market evaporating, which is their cash cow.

Right.

Put 41 megapixels behind a shitty lens and you'll have all the pixels blurring together and becoming indistinguishable anyways. Also, small sensors have a shit-ton of noise, so I really don't see anything to be excited about.

Also, what's the purpose of having 41MP images? If you're not making poster-sized prints... then... why?

It's just a gimmick to reel in measurebators who don't actually understand technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh man this phone... i can get some great high res shots of you know what... >.> <.<

Oh lord, this better be banned from sale to all chicks who have ever made a donald duck face in any picture..

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Actually in this case MP is everything......

My understanding is that it 7 pixels becomes 1 pixel and thus making it sharper.
    1 pixel can't be reduced to a seventh of a pixel, so as a result there is loss, the image will become distorted because of the software excluding the 'wrong' pixels. So taking a 5 megapixel photo is better than taking a 35 megapixel image and scaling it down to 5.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would like to get my hands on one of the new windows Noki. Would like to use it daily for 2 weeks and see if I dig it.
    Currently using Galaxy S2.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    1 pixel can't be reduced to a seventh of a pixel, so as a result there is loss, the image will become distorted because of the software excluding the 'wrong' pixels. So taking a 5 megapixel photo is better than taking a 35 megapixel image and scaling it down to 5.
    No, no, no. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. It's called "oversampling" and it greatly decreases the amount of noise in the picture. In this case the physical size of the sensor is also much larger than your typical phone cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Right.

Put 41 megapixels behind a shitty lens and you'll have all the pixels blurring together and becoming indistinguishable anyways. Also, small sensors have a shit-ton of noise, so I really don't see anything to be excited about.

Also, what's the purpose of having 41MP images? If you're not making poster-sized prints... then... why?

It's just a gimmick to reel in measurebators who don't actually understand technology.
    /sigh

First of what if it doesn't have a shitty lens and other shitty things that make normal camera's on phones crap......................

And did you even look bother using google to look it up? You aren't taking pics that are 41MP but your taking pics that are 5MP (you can also take 8 and 33 I believe but standart setting is 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Good thing they aren't reducing anything...

Currently the best camera phone on the market is the Nokia N8 which came out in 2010, the 808 is it's successor and it has been a improvement. Only problem is the amount of tech geeks comparing the 41MP camera with a regular 12+ MP camera.

A company like Nokia doesn't lie, the damage it will do would be to big, they don't just take photo's with a expensive camera and claim it as if the new model made it.

/sigh

First of what if it doesn't have a shitty lens and other shitty things that make normal camera's on phones crap......................

And did you even look bother using google to look it up? You aren't taking pics that are 41MP but your taking pics that are 5MP (you can also take 8 and 33 I believe but standart setting is 5)
    A lens in a cameraphone is always shitty. It's small and lets very little light go through. And it since it's small it has more distortion too. It's impossible for a cameraphone lens to NOT be shitty.

An yeah, you can get 8 and 33 megapixels... but I still don't see the point of so many megapixels on a cameraphone. It makes little sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I would like to get my hands on one of the new windows Noki. Would like to use it daily for 2 weeks and see if I dig it.
    Currently using Galaxy S2.
    The galaxy s2 is awesome. I use an Iphone 4, but I really liked the galaxy....

/sigh

First of what if it doesn't have a shitty lens
    Yes, yes it does have to be a shitty lens. Why do you think professional lenses used in photography and cinematography are physically more bulky than those tacked onto a point-and-shoot or mobile camera? Why do you think they contain so much glass? Why do you think they cost so much (Many many many many many times the price of this entire phone)?

Because they're not shit. Until Nokia can bend the basic laws of physics, they can not make a mobile camera lens (nor can Carl Zeiss) that is not shitty. Alternatively, they make a smart phone that is large enough to mount real lenses - but then, that's never going to happen, because you won't be able to carry it around in your pocket anymore, nor would you want to.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    A lens in a cameraphone is always shitty. It's small and lets very little light go through. And it since it's small it has more distortion too. It's impossible for a cameraphone lens to NOT be shitty.

An yeah, you can get 8 and 33 megapixels... but I still don't see the point of so many megapixels on a cameraphone. It makes little sense to me.
    The active image area is actually bigger than most current digital camera's.

Have a look at the pics, they look stunning.

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...2/Archive2.zip

This technique is going to push digital photography forward quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by belgicanofl View Post
    The active image area is actually bigger than most current digital camera's.

Have a look at the pics, they look stunning.

http://cdn.conversations.nokia.com.s...2/Archive2.zip

This technique is going to push digital photography forward quite a bit.
    I looked at the sample pics on their site, and it's mediocre. The resolution is high, but the noise is high too... and they've selectively shown pictures where it's impossible to measure distortion, flare, blurring, chromatic aberration, yada yada etc etc. Those photos don't show anything technically amazing.

All they're really offering is something that's of very little use to most people: Lots of megapixels. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    That phones looks ugly as hell I'm not going to buy it, that's for sure! But I love the camera.
    Not buying something practical because it's ugly. Humanity in a nutshell.