Poll: What is your favorite RTS

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Cool Your favorite RTS????

What is your favorite RTS? :P I've got a list but feel free to add the ones you love!

1) Age of Empires

Age of Empires III offers gamers the next level of realism, with advanced battle physics and unparalleled visual detail. The new game picks up where Age of Empires II: Age of Kings left off, placing gamers in the position of a European power determined to explore, colonize and conquer the New World. This time period features stunning scenes, from towering European cathedrals to courageous tribes of Native Americans, and spectacular combat with Industrial Age units like rifled infantry, cavalry and tall ships bristling with cannons. In addition to technology upgrades, Age of Empires III also features a slew of new game-play elements, including the concept of a "Home City," new civilizations, units, technologies and an immersive new single-player campaign that spans three generations.

2) BattleForge

For mortals caught in a clash between insane gods and ancient giants, standing together is the only option. Using the forces of Fire, Frost, Nature and Shadow a mysterious Forge which makes legends come to life, is their single hope to create armies powerful enough to overcome these impossible odds. It is now time to set out and reclaim an epic fantasy world which has been overthrown by sinister powers in the twilight of a dying sun.
    BattleForge is a fantasy online real-time strategy game where you assemble your own army with collectible trading cards. Win, trade and buy your cards online to create your ultimate deck. Mix and match the elements of your cards to play with your friends online and conquer massive online battlegrounds.

3) Age of Mythology

Taking on the role of one of nine ancient civilizations, players guide their people to greatness by commanding all aspects of their empire: gathering resources, raising massive armies, waging war against enemies, establishing profitable trade routes, building new settlements, enhancing production or military might with improvements, exploring new frontiers, and advancing through four distinct ages.
    Age of Mythology: The Titans adds a fourth culture, the Atlanteans, to the existing Greek, Egyptian and Norse mythologies. A new single-player campaign will add yet another chapter to the franchise's expansive folklore with the addition of 12 new scenarios. Atlantean players will be able to call upon the might of the Titan gods (such as Atlas and Cronus) multiple times throughout the game, and may also upgrade human units to heroes. The expansion pack will introduce 12 new god powers, 18 new human units and 10 formidable myth units to the game.

4) Warcraft 3

It's been nearly fifteen years since the war between the orcs and humans ended. An uneasy peace settled over the land. While the defeated orcish clans regrouped under the banner of a new visionary leader, a darker shadow has fallen over the world, threatening to extinguish all life and all hope.
    The classic real-time strategy world of Warcraft returns for a third installment, which features four unique races, brilliant three-dimensional graphics, legendary heroes, and new multiplayer features, including shared unit control and resource trading between players.

5) LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 2

It is unusual for a pre-established series like The Lord of the Rings to successfully take on a sequel, but EA Game's LORD OF THE RINGS: THE BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH II for the PC proved this theory wrong. This game manages to take the well-known mythology surrounding the story and focused on the war in the North between the elves, dwarves, goblins, and Mordor forces that is only touched upon in the book and is left out completely in the movies. LORD OF THE RINGS: THE BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH II plays out much like the game of Risk in that players must move their armies around a board that is covered in territories. Players will find that this new battle between good and evil takes place on a much grander scale with six different factions combining to against the forces of Mordor. Players can also combine forces in multiplayer mode to get the most out of the fights. This ability to customize the fighting options makes for a great game no matter what type of mood the player is in. All of these factors make playing the second installment in the Battle for Middle Earth series just as exciting and entertaining as the first time around, without the worry that players will just be repeating the game in a different format. LORD OF THE RINGS: THE BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH II is perfect for Tolkien fans.

6) Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2

It's the 41st Millennium in the Sub-Sector Aurelia — a cluster of worlds on the edge of the Galaxy – where a battle of epic proportions is about to commence. Ancient races will clash across the planets that dot this section of space, battling for the greatest of stakes — not only the claim to the land and its bounty - but the fate of each race.
    Dawn of War II ushers in a new chapter in the acclaimed RTS series — taking players to the brutal frontlines of war to lead an Elite Strike Force on a mission to save the galaxy. With a focus on fast-action RTS gameplay, Dawn of War II brings to life the science fiction universe of Warhammer 40,000 like never before. Experience the intimate brutality of battle as you play through your chosen race’s epic campaign. Clash with enemies on battlefields ablaze with visceral melee and ranged combat. Lead and develop your squads from raw recruits into the most battle hardened veterans in the Galaxy.

7) Starcraft 2

StarCraft II continues the epic saga of the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg. These three distinct and powerful races clash once again in the fast-paced real-time strategy sequel to the legendary original, StarCraft. Legions of veteran, upgraded, and brand-new unit types will do battle across the galaxy, as each faction struggles for survival.
    StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty's solo campaign will continue the epic saga where it left off in StarCraft: Brood War. The storyline chronicles the exploits of marshal-turned-rebel-leader Jim Raynor and features both familiar faces and new heroes. Players will be able to tailor the experience, choosing their own mission path and selecting technology and research upgrades to suit their playing style throughout the 29-mission campaign.
    In addition to the solo campaign, dozens of multiplayer maps are available for competitive play through Battle.net. This improved version of the service has been built from the ground up to offer an unparalleled online play experience, with new features such as voice communication, character profiles and achievements, stat-tracking, ladders and leagues, cloud file storage, and more.

8) Total War

Take charge of any of the nine major factions of Japanese feudal history, from the mighty Oda to the more delicate but well positioned Tokugawa clan. All of these clans could rise to take the position of Shogun under your leadership.

9) Demi-God

Demigod is a team-based action game with RTS and RPG elements. Players take control of a massive Demigod with the goal of annihilating their opponent’s position in a given arena while preventing the opponent’s Demigod from doing the same to them. Although the game supports superb one-on-one duels, the title will truly shine in team play either with other human-controlled Demigods or with ones controlled by a sophisticated computer AI. As the game progresses, the player's Demigod will acquire items, attributes and experience.

10) Command & Conquer

The year is 2062 and humanity is at the brink of extinction. With only six years left until the mysterious crystalline structure Tiberium renders the earth entirely uninhabitable, the two opposing factions -- Global Defense Initiative (GDI) and the Brotherhood of Nod -- inevitably find themselves in desperation for the same cause: to stop Tiberium from extinguishing mankind. The unthinkable becomes reality and Nod's enigmatic leader Kane takes off for GDI headquarters. What is Kane planning in the heart of his enemies' base?
    In addition to the two campaigns on the epic battles of GDI and Nod, which players will get to conquer alone or in a cooperative mode, Command & Conquer 4 also features a new 5v5 objective-based multiplayer mode, promoting teamwork and cooperation and delivering a social real-time-strategy experience never seen before in a Command & Conquer game.

11) LOTR: War of the Ring

Though it capitalizes on the momentum generated by the recent films, War of the Ring uses the original books as source material and extends the conflicts beyond the core story of the Fellowship. Displaying the same level of personality and animation found in Liquid's previous game, Battle Realms, the world of Middle Earth comes to life with vast grassy plains, gathering storm clouds and the blight of Sauron passing over the land. Players are able to take both sides of this conflict as they extend Sauron's reach over the lands of Middle Earth or try to battle his minions back to the gates of Mordor. Fielding units from hobbits to Balrogs, you'll have the chance to refight some of the classic battles from the series including Helm's Deep, Edoras, Cirith Ungol and Dol Guldur.

All these Summary's are taken from IGN

Personally i have to say, my Favorites are either Age of Mythology: Titan, or BattleForge with Battle for Middle Earth taking a close 3rd

My reason as to why is~

Age of Mytholgy: This game is deep, very deep. 4 playable races, 3 different major gods per faction with 2 minor gods per advancement level, and just incredibly fun

BattleForge: Fast and fun, that's why Plus i mean look at that game, it's beautiful! Also, with the added bonus of deck building, take's me back to my yugioh and pokemon days

Battle for Middle Earth 2: I am a huge Tolkien fan, HUGE fan. And this game gives massive battles a whole new meaning, i love my goblins! >

What's yours?
    Last edited by Cts53; 2012-02-28 at 06:35 AM.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Emperor: Battle for Dune. Probably gonna reinstall it pretty soon for another playthrough. Dunno what it is about it, but I absolutely adore the game on so many levels.

:O First post is from a moderator, now should i feel honored or frightened? :P

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    :O First post is from a moderator, now should i feel honored or frightened? :P
    How about neither?

I cast my vote for SC2 because it's the only game on this list I actually like watching in addition to playing. Love me some professional SC2 matches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deleted. Not relevant enough. See further posts.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-02-28 at 06:37 AM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Tactics Ogre / Final Fantasy Tactics
    These games are turn-based strategy. While fun, nowhere near similar.

Total Annihilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    How about neither?

I cast my vote for SC2 because it's the only game on this list I actually like watching in addition to playing. Love me some professional SC2 matches.
    lol was being sarcastic i've played sc2 a bit but, just doesn't give me the same feeling as battleforge does for quick rts matches

But that's just me

rise of nations deserves to be on the list. and isn't total war half turn based?

for me sc1. not sc2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    These games are turn-based strategy. While fun, nowhere near similar.
    We're nitpicking subgenre's of RTS now? Because if we're going to do that -- Demi-God is a MOBA.

And if we're including MOBA -- Then I'm voting for LoL.

We're nitpicking subgenre's of RTS now? Because if we're going to do that -- Demi-God is a MOBA.
    RTS and turn based are two seperate subgenres of strategy games. turn based is not a subgenre of rts.
    If he was going to include pure turn based strategy you really think it would be acceptable to leave out heroes of might and magic and civilization?

yes moba would be rts imo

And if we're including MOBA -- Then I'm voting for LoL.
    >_< funny, cause it's classified as a RTS >_> hmmm, well my bad. But w/e, i'll keep it up there :P

Deleted
    I must say Warcraft 3 wins it all in my eyes - story is fantastic, playing and balance is great, only thing I hate is that units are getting stuck (which on other hand can be usefull on creeping).

Appart from that I also adore old game called Knights & Merchants. It's basicly settlers in middle ages with additional economical complexity.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    The lack of a Company of Heroes option makes me sad.
    Last edited by Failmuffins; 2012-02-28 at 06:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dislike RTS, it's about clicking all around the map like an idiot, no thanks.
    The only RTS I could stand to play was Dune 3. Yeah that is old.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I dislike RTS, it's about clicking all around the map like an idiot, no thanks.
    The only RTS I could stand to play was Dune 3. Yeah that is old.
    >_> I respect your opinion but...if you dislike RTS games then..why'd you post?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    >_> I respect your opinion but...if you dislike RTS games then..why'd you post?
    Well, if you start an opionion poll, you got to be prepared for the outsiders

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    RTS and turn based are two seperate subgenres of strategy games. turn based is not a subgenre of rts.
    If he was going to include pure turn based strategy you really think it would be acceptable to leave out heroes of might and magic and civilization?

This is correct

RTS is 'real time strategy'. The Total War series would be the closest to straddling the divide, since its 'base' mode is turn based but the battles themselves are RTS. Xcom could also straddle this since its Base mode is RealTime but the battles are turn based. Tactics Ogre and FFT are turn based, and don't even have a 'real' time mode, so you couldn't even make the case that they straddle the divide.

I have one, would Dungeon Keeper be classified as RTS? I would think so, but it is almost more of a base building sim than a strategy game.

If you said just Strategy games, then surely X-Com would be number one

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Well, if you start an opionion poll, you got to be prepared for the outsiders
    Advice well taken :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post

True, but not as far as the thread is concerned. Either way, I changed my vote. I don't really much care for building/minion variants of RTS. I prefer Strategy games involving controlling a key unit, usually Tactics or MOBAs.