Thread: €400 pc

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

€400 pc

Hey all,

My little brother has a 7year old pc which is going to fall apart soon.
    He asked if I could find/build a €400 euro pc for him.

This pricetag is the maximum for the entire computer without any peripherals such as keyboard, monitor etc.
    It must be able to play Skyrim, though not at max settings. It does not have to be able to oc. We already have windows 7, so its only the hardware.
    The pricetag must also include the assembling if it is done through a site such as azerty.nl (I'm dutch). The cost for assembling + 1 year guarantee is €59 at azerty.nl.

My own computer is a €500 build, and can be found in this thread: €500 build.

My question is, is this at all possible?

I also found this site CPSComputers. (it's in dutch) There is the Game PC Budget for €400.
    When you go for the cheap configuration [Cheap configuration] the costs are €400. Would this pc be able to play Skyrim at all?
    Or would it be cheaper/better to alter my €500 build to somehow make it €400 and still useful?

Btw, you can also use sites such as newegg or any other sites since I can see that dutch sites can be difficult if you're not dutch

Deleted
    CPU: i3-2100 - €108
    MB: ASRock H61M/U3S3 - €57
    GPU: Club 3D Radeon HD 6670 - €65
    RAM: Corsair 2GB 1333MHz (x2) - €22
    ODD: Samsung SH-222AB DVD - €17
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB - €76
    PSU: Corsair CX430 V2 - €41
    CASE: Cooler Master Elite 310 - €31

Total: ~€416 + €59 assembly = €475

Work in progress but that was the best i could do just taking a quick look at it.

CPU: Intel Pentium G840 / 2.8 GHz - €66
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - €73

Total: ~€372 + €59 assembly = €431

Could skip the DVD drive and just use yours or a USB stick to install Windows 7 and save another €17
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-02-29 at 12:30 AM.

take a look at this guide.
    tinyurl.com/falconguide

Deleted
    Updated first post, I think that's as close as I can get you to €400 with assembly for now.

I'm not sure how technical you are and maybe "I cant math", but why would you pay over 100$ to get someone to put it together?? It's quite simple to put a computer together! You can learn how in about 10mins of google searching.

Deleted
    You're right he can save the cost but either way both totals show with or without assembly so he can easily choose.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thnx for the reply. I'm not very technical, but I'm not a disaster with tools either, so I might give it a try myself.
    If however I find it too daunting, or I wouldn't do it for some other reason, is it then cheaper to pick all the parts myself and let azerty or someone else assemble it,
    or would it be cheaper to get a preassembled build, such as the one I linked to in the OP.

And some questions about the build Notarget suggested. You pick a different and more expensive mobo then noteworthynerd does in the €500 build. Is there a reason for this? since both mobo's go with the i3-2100.

If I can chose between Crucial or Corsair for RAM, is one preferable over the other? (both being 1333MHz).
    And if you go with the Radeon HD 6670, isn't it a waste to take a i3-2100? Since the GPU will act as a bottleneck due to it being very inferior in comparison with the CPU? In the €500 build Noteworthy suggests the Radeon HD 6850, but that one is almost double in price.

So basically, isn't it a waste of the i3 to take a GPU like that, or isn't it as big a deal as I think it is?
    Because if it is, would the Pentium G840 be a good substitute?

And 1 last question, about the cases. Both of the cases, in the €400 and €500 build are very similar in pricing. Is one preferable over the other due to better airflow or something, or is it just a question of taste?

Thank you all for the responses so far!

Deleted
    Case - I was trying to keep within the budget and the CM 310 is a few € less, I'd probably go with the Fractal case.

Motherboard - €6 difference but with the Asrock board you get USB 3.0 ports and SATA III (6Gb/s) connectors which is preferred for SSD. I understand those two are not important to you but I figured why not for such a little difference in cost.

RAM - Either is fine in that price range, just get the cheapest 1333MHz.

CPU - i3-2100 would obviously be the best but I couldn't get the budget total low enough with it so (if you noticed) I picked the G840 which is still fine in such a low budget PC.

GPU - again 6850+ would definitely be my recommendation as well but yet again for budget sake that's not possible so the 6670 is a descent card in that range I guess.

It's never cheaper to get it pre-assembled, as mentioned it's easy enough to do yourself but if you can't/wont then pay them for it as you mentioned.

GPU depends on your resolution. If the monitor is eg. 4:3 x1024, getting a 6670 is more than enough.