Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best tank for Zon'ozz ??

Just wondering am I correct in saying the best tank for Heroic Zon'ozz is a Blood DK?

Thanks

Blood is probably best, but stam-stacking feral druids are also a good option. A bad blood dk will get himself oneshot due to spiky incoming dmg towards the end of the bounces

all tanks are fine for Zonozz each with their own strengths and weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Dize View Post
    all tanks are fine for Zonozz each with their own strengths and weaknesses
    Well, yeah, but he asked what the "best" tank was, which implies one (or possibly two) options that stand above the rest.

As for the topic, I've seen the best results from Blood DKs as well.

Deleted
    Amy tank who is capable of using his/her cooldowns properly will be able to tank it.

We use a prot warrior and it's fine.

This tier is all about the blood DK and Feral Druid, this is not saying that warriors and paladins are bad. Its the DK and Feral druid revenge for T11. Pretty much there is a lot more magic damage in DS than physical so block tanks don't do as well as those who have high magic resistance. Any decent tank can do it though, most warriors and paladins after CTC they stack stam which provides them with padding to take the hits where a dk can anti magic shell. I won't claim to be an expert on tanks but dk/feral have proved to be our best tanks this tier.

We found blood dk was best for our group / raid comp

Deleted
    Blood DK's are the best for most fights these days - That is if they can play of course. We do it with a prot warrior and it works just fine.

Blood DK>prot warrior>rest

10+ Year Old Account
    I tank Zon'ozz H for our guild because of the awesome Warr CDs fro the tentacle phase. raid sheild wall and rallying cry have helped a lot.

I should say I am a prot warr.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hield/advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by normanton View Post
    Just wondering am I correct in saying the best tank for Heroic Zon'ozz is a Blood DK?

Thanks
    Let's say you got a generally good playing Protection Warrior and a decent playing Blood DK in your composition (which you btw didn't write and therefor can't expect a detailed answer to your question). Then a Prot War with the resistance trinket from TB-dailies is by far a better choice. Especially if you got problems with bouncing the orb in the right direction.

BloodDK >= Feral>any other, the only fight where the warrior is better than others is Spine HC in blood duty, that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moocares View Post
    Let's say you got a generally good playing Protection Warrior and a decent playing Blood DK in your composition (which you btw didn't write and therefor can't expect a detailed answer to your question). Then a Prot War with the resistance trinket from TB-dailies is by far a better choice. Especially if you got problems with bouncing the orb in the right direction.
    Not at all, that trinket is useless in that fight, black phase spell dmg is nothing compared to the physical dmg you get, you might be thinking Yorsaj for that trinket.
    Last edited by Daimon; 2012-02-28 at 06:01 PM.

I've tanked it on prot paladin and blood dk. Blood is nice with 4 piece during black phases, they also need to not be awful as he can hit rather hard around 4+ bounces. Honestly though, I think the difference really doesn't matter. If you're choosing between 2 tanks, you might be best off picking the one that has the weakest off spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think bear. When black phase comes up I mangle down the big claw and Zon'ozz. I can get the claw down to about 40% on my own, and that's in 25-man.

Our blood DK tanks this (and all other heroics) in full dps gear using 5/5/5/5, it's quite broken how much damage he does, and how little difference it makes to damage taken, missing the 4 piece bonus sucks but shouldn't be needed after this week anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
    BloodDK >= Feral>any other, the only fight where the warrior is better than others is Spine HC in blood duty, that is it.

Not at all, that trinket is useless in that fight, black phase spell dmg is nothing compared to the physical dmg you get, you might be thinking Yorsaj for that trinket.
    you use the trinket (combined with Shield Block) for the second Psychic Drain of every phase. it makes the damage from Psychic Drain pretty laughable, so i'd hardly call that useless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flayful View Post
    you use the trinket (combined with Shield Block) for the second Psychic Drain of every phase. it makes the damage from Psychic Drain pretty laughable, so i'd hardly call that useless.
    So he has to equip a 359 trinket that also lowers his max health by a ton in order to do what a DK does better with just AMS.

Warriors suck on Zon'ozz, a DK is by far the best tank for the fight.

Deleted
    A DK is probably best, but 99% of the times you won't wipe because you don't have a DK tanking. I wouldn't worry about it. The only fights where DK/druid really outshine war/pala is Yor (for dk), Hagara and Madness.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-02-28 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    So he has to equip a 359 trinket that also lowers his max health by a ton in order to do what a DK does better with just AMS.

Warriors suck on Zon'ozz, a DK is by far the best tank for the fight.
    you would be replacing another mastery trinket (most likely the badge one) to use the TB trinket. if this is a progression fight for you, and that messes with your CTC cap/coverage, you should probably reforge/gem around using the TB trinket to maintain 102.3, because as a warrior more mastery isn't wasted (when you use the badge trinket or another mastery trinket).

that has zero bearing on maximum health, and even if you don't have or are against using the TB trinket, there are other ways to survive Psychic Drain anyways.

sure a warrior isn't completely optimal, but it's not impossible (or even remotely difficult) to do it with one. as far as the rest of the fight goes, a warrior's raid cooldowns are far better than a DK's anyways, but that's a pretty negligible benefit.

there's probably other problems with your raid if your warrior is dying with correct cooldown usage (their cooldowns and external ones), which wouldn't be fixed by using a death knight tank.