Thread: Grouping in PVP

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Grouping in PVP

Im sorry this may be a stupid question but I was just curious about grouping in PVP.

When we "Enter the Mists" to do PVP, is there an option to bring your group with you? Or does each person have to join it separately. If so, is the whole server based in the same instance of "The Mists". Like if I'm questing somewhere different than my friend and we both are talking over Skype and decide to do some pvp, do we have to group first and then join "The Mist" or can we both just join it and meet each other in "The Mists"? The reason I ask is I haven't really seen any footage of people that are grouped up, joining the same BG at the same time. I'm sure it is in the game, but I was hoping someone could just maybe clarify it a little better for me. Thanks tons!

they have a commander system, basically you say "i am a leader" (probably to an NPC) then you get a commander position! once you have this position other people can click on you to join your "squad" the commander get the ability to team speak (no one else can) the entire squad can type back and forth... and then you defend or assault or do whatever your commander commands you to do!

"The commander is self-appointed. We have an item that people purchase for gold that gives the ability to turn on the Commander function. When you become a commander, anyone not in a squad will see the commander icon over your head and can select you, right click on your portrait and select ‘join squad’. Also, when someone is following a commander, you can right click on their portait to join their squad and follow the same commander." -Anet-
    Last edited by Lord Wokoom; 2012-02-28 at 05:36 PM.

Deleted
    Does anyone know if the PvP will be cross server?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wokoom View Post
    they have a commander system, basically you say "i am a leader" (probably to an NPC) then you get a commander position! once you have this position other people can click on you to join your "squad" the commander get the ability to team speak (no one else can) the entire squad can type back and forth... and then you defend or assault or do whatever your commander commands you to do!

"The commander is self-appointed. We have an item that people purchase for gold that gives the ability to turn on the Commander function. When you become a commander, anyone not in a squad will see the commander icon over your head and can select you, right click on your portrait and select ‘join squad’. Also, when someone is following a commander, you can right click on their portait to join their squad and follow the same commander." -Anet-
    Since he says 'BG' I assume he's asking moreso about structured PVP, not WvW PVP.

And sorry, I personally don't know, structured PVP is probably what I have the least interest in, so I really haven't been paying attention to the information about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Does anyone know if the PvP will be cross server?
    i can almost guarantee that hot join and structured pvp is entirely cross server

ill even go a step farther and say it will be cross-regional, truly global
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post
    Im sorry this may be a stupid question but I was just curious about grouping in PVP.

When we "Enter the Mists" to do PVP, is there an option to bring your group with you? Or does each person have to join it separately. If so, is the whole server based in the same instance of "The Mists". Like if I'm questing somewhere different than my friend and we both are talking over Skype and decide to do some pvp, do we have to group first and then join "The Mist" or can we both just join it and meet each other in "The Mists"? The reason I ask is I haven't really seen any footage of people that are grouped up, joining the same BG at the same time. I'm sure it is in the game, but I was hoping someone could just maybe clarify it a little better for me. Thanks tons!
    The Mists is pretty much a meeting point, so you can either meet up there, and make a group, or being in group before entering The Mists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    i can almost guarantee that hot join and structured pvp is entirely cross server

ill even go a step farther and say it will be cross-regional, truly global
    I really doubt it. People would be on such a disadvantage due to ping.

It would be awesome though. It would create a bigger pool to choose winning/losing servers to play against.

Anyhoo, as for the Commander position and their group. Can any random person join the group? Or is it by invite only?
    I'm still thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    It would be awesome though. It would create a bigger pool to choose winning/losing servers to play against.

Anyhoo, as for the Commander position and their group. Can any random person join the group? Or is it by invite only?
    It'd be a open group, anyone can join it simply by clicking the commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post

The initial area of the Mists with all the different portals that take you to WvW or the competitive PvP areas is entirely persistent and you can meet your friend there and group up to do whatever from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    well these are the guys who made GW1 so im confident we'll get a similar experience. and i can say that ive fought many many korean teams and neither of us lagged. even had a few aussie guildies and they never once complained when we were pvping together
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

well these are the guys who made GW1 so im confident we'll get a similar experience. and i can say that ive fought many many korean teams and neither of us lagged. even had a few aussie guildies and they never once complained when we were pvping together
    This!

Also worth noting is that with their decision to not display character names in WvW, they've taken alot of queries away from the servers, this should lower the strain quite abit.
    Hopefully they'll actually let everyone battle everyone rather than just regional.

Was GW1 really cross-region? Are you sure? O.o

I just find that odd, considering that just wouldn't be possible with how server technology is. There's a reason other games always separate regions.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

I just find that odd, considering that just wouldn't be possible with how server technology is. There's a reason other games always separate regions.
    Yes it was S:
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Deleted

It was cross regional, I could go from EU to US with a click of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Well two clicks, but we know what you mean!
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Yes, but that doesn't answer the question. Was PvP cross-regional, as in people from the EU and US would fight each other? That's what I'm doubting.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Yes, but that doesn't answer the question. Was PvP cross-regional, as in people from the EU and US would fight each other? That's what I'm doubting.
    It is. For example it isn't uncommon to see players from Korea or Japan in your group in random arenas.

It is. For example it isn't uncommon to see players from Korea or Japan in your group in random arenas.
    We're doomed.

Seems strange, I wonder why they can make it work but other companies can't.

Unless the Euros are just content with having 500ms playing with the US. I mean I play on US servers all the time from Asia, but I can't imagine what ms would be like from EU. *shrug* dunno.