Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tracking multidots ??

Is there an easy to use addon that tracks your multidots on a few targets?

I just had a look at that it shows the dot countdown timer but it doesnt let me select the target they are currently on is there a setting that does this or a different addon?

I guess i should be more specific im looking for something that shows me what my dots are on and lets me select the target to renew them.

Deleted
    TidyPlates is the closest you can come to that. Else just use focus target.

What Ariadne says.
    And you can set Fortexorcist in such a way that there are different bar colors for your current target, your focus target, and a different target.
    Finally, you could play around with the MFClip addon. The build-in LiveButtons function can track timers on your focus target as well (but only your focus target I believe), and it adds seperate buttons for your focus target. I know some people find these LiveButtons useful if you are a clicker and don't want to use a key modifier (like alt) to cast a spell on your focus target. Although there are plenty of other options to do the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be a big ForteXorcist buff when it came to this. Now I'm using a combination of TidyPlates and my raid frames.

For a pack like the Zon'ozz trash, I just use TidyPlates to track when things are about to fall off. The DoT icons are clean and easy for me to see.

For something like Madness of DW I use the boss frames built into ElvUI (any raid frame suite should be capable of this these days). Focus works in the same way if an important target doesn't flag the boss frame.

I'm not sure what kind of customization that Forte has these days, but I remember having all dots (main and off targets) and relevant buffs streaming together in the same cascade. This is great for 2-3 target multidotting, but I would think that it gets confusing with 4-5.

I'd recommend playing around with all of the suggestions posted, and find out what feels best for you.

Deleted
    Forte can do it, but like previous posters said name plates are enough most of time when multidotting. Main reason why forte and other dot timers are not so good is that its not possible to click dot timer to select that target, so its hard to see fast enough which dot timer group belongs to which target AND then select that target fast enough. You need to select target anyway by clicking name plate in screen or boss frame, and then you can as well use dot timer shown on those instead of separate bars. Personally I use Forte still to show dots on multiple targets, it helps still little bit to see overall situation. Afaik basic problem is blizzard api does not allow to dynamically create clickable frames during combat, so making selectable dynamic multi target dot timer is impossible.

This is how I have Forte setup, small bars right of char: http://i42.tinypic.com/20rlh5j.jpg

Well if you're talking about shadow multi dotting, which I'm guess thats what this thread is about, practice on dummies. Go by your VP timer. You can usually get 4 targets, 1 with all three, 3 with VP and SW:P. On the one with all three you can cast mind blast and mind flay after renueing VP: and DP. Switch to the next target and cast VP, Mind flay. Rinse and repeat. When you do that, you will see how you don't really need a timer for multi dots or a tracker at that. Just memorize in what order you put them on and follow that and BAYUM. You become the multidot tracker.

Deleted
    as previously mentioned, tidyplates can easily be configured to show debuffs (along with handy white/blacklists!).
    for stuff that isn't visible to you on your screen (i.e nefarian when you're nuking onyxia in bwd) fortexorcist provides handy timers (once again, complete with black and whitelists!) for every single target you might have these debuffs on.

tidyplates, forte, or just know. i am able to clip dots on around 4ish targets. and use mind blast almost perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by doingitforthemount View Post
    Well if you're talking about shadow multi dotting, which I'm guess thats what this thread is about, practice on dummies. Go by your VP timer. You can usually get 4 targets, 1 with all three, 3 with VP and SW:P. On the one with all three you can cast mind blast and mind flay after renueing VP: and DP. Switch to the next target and cast VP, Mind flay. Rinse and repeat. When you do that, you will see how you don't really need a timer for multi dots or a tracker at that. Just memorize in what order you put them on and follow that and BAYUM. You become the multidot tracker.
    This would be fine if targets you were multidotting DIDN'T MOVE.....this suggestion makes zero sense in a raiding environment, and you will not be able to successfully find the target that DoTs are dropping off of efficiently without using a nameplate addon. Try that on heroic Maloriak black phase and tell me how that works out for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Sakamae View Post
    This would be fine if targets you were multidotting DIDN'T MOVE.....this suggestion makes zero sense in a raiding environment, and you will not be able to successfully find the target that DoTs are dropping off of efficiently without using a nameplate addon. Try that on heroic Maloriak black phase and tell me how that works out for you....
    O.o What BOSS fight do targets move? In Dragon soul the only one you would even closely come to using that is... Well... None. Good tanks keep the adds on the boat in one spot. And even then, you WATCH the adds and their movements... Its not hard at all if they moved. Did it in heroic halfus pre mind sear buff... Literally no boss fight that you need to multi dot. if anything SW:P on the adds in black phase and mind sear yor. Nothing in this current raid content has moving adds. And anything with more than four adds you should just mind sear. Its better dps and damage done than wasting 16 seconds to apply all your dots.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 07:17 PM ----------

And heroic Maloriak black phase is gogo gadget mind sear.

O.o What BOSS fight do targets move? In Dragon soul the only one you would even closely come to using that is... Well... None. Good tanks keep the adds on the boat in one spot. And even then, you WATCH the adds and their movements... Its not hard at all if they moved. Did it in heroic halfus pre mind sear buff... Literally no boss fight that you need to multi dot. if anything SW:P on the adds in black phase and mind sear yor. Nothing in this current raid content has moving adds. And anything with more than four adds you should just mind sear. Its better dps and damage done than wasting 16 seconds to apply all your dots.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 07:17 PM ----------

And heroic Maloriak black phase is gogo gadget mind sear.
    Really??

Heroic Gunship... the adds charge all around the ship you also have 2 drakes and a sapper tracking dots on mobs without having to run around tabbing through targets would save me a whole lot of time.....

To the other posts thankyou very much i will check out tidy plates i do have it in my addons folder not sure why i disabled it

Quote Originally Posted by frooty View Post
    Really??

Heroic Gunship... the adds charge all around the ship you also have 2 drakes and a sapper tracking dots on mobs without having to run around tabbing through targets would save me a whole lot of time.....

To the other posts thankyou very much i will check out tidy plates i do have it in my addons folder not sure why i disabled it
    Four adds. Zomg so hard. And if you're dotting the sapper you're doing it wrong. WAYY wrong. Mind spike mind blast spam for the super burst.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 09:45 PM ----------

Also, tab targetting is pretty fail. clicking the adds is by far the easiest method with multi dotting. Tab targetting just makes you spam tab hoping you get to the add you need to refresh your dots. Track in your mind, watch with your eyes, apply with your fingers.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 09:45 PM ----------

Also, tab targetting is pretty fail. clicking the adds is by far the easiest method with multi dotting. Tab targetting just makes you spam tab hoping you get to the add you need to refresh your dots. Track in your mind, watch with your eyes, apply with your fingers.

I never said i dot the sapper i just said there are adds that are not standing still the whole fight like you just said they were, other than watching adds im also soaking barrages and onslaughts knowing what add needs dots refreshing without having to "click" or "tab" each target is the whole reason i made this post. if you have nothing helpful to say in the way of addon suggestions dont bother replying

Quote Originally Posted by frooty View Post
    I never said i dot the sapper i just said there are adds that are not standing still the whole fight like you just said they were, other than watching adds im also soaking barrages and onslaughts knowing what add needs dots refreshing without having to "click" or "tab" each target is the whole reason i made this post. if you have nothing helpful to say in the way of addon suggestions dont bother replying
    Here is the simple fact: To track your dots, you have to be knowledgable. There is no addon, multidotting isn't that hard, and watching adds move while paying attention to barrages and sheesh like that isn't that difficult. If you want it to be sooo easy, go play arcane mage.

Deleted
    Here is the simple fact: To track your dots, you have to be knowledgable. There is no addon, multidotting isn't that hard, and watching adds move while paying attention to barrages and sheesh like that isn't that difficult. If you want it to be sooo easy, go play arcane mage.
    The guy asks for an addon and you tell him to keep track of them in his mind? I'm afraid your not being much helpful.

Does anyone out there know of an as powerful alternative to Forte that doesn't come with two hundred warlock modules and ugly cooldown bars but still tracks dots as effectively (and then not only the target or focus currently selected)?
    I've used ClassTimers, DoTimers, NeedToKnow, MFclip, Chronometer and a few others in the past but they always seemed to either
    1) not try to track things that wasn't on target/focus
    ("real" tracking of other targets is not provided by the client as far as I understand but only by trying to have the client "guess" what dots belong to what adds by checking the combat log and make a good estimation whereas for target/focus the game client can be "certain" of the current status of the dot. I suppose it depends on how smart the code is how well it would make this guesstimate. You could notice it f ex when tracked cc broke early and it was instantly picked up on target/focus but on other mobs the timers could keep running as if it was still there - I may be completely wrong on this but it's how I interpreted what I read about/experienced through the years.)
    or 2) Didn't group the timers nicely so it was easy to see what dots belonged to what mob.
    If there is anything that does what Forte does without all the extras I'd be the first in line to try it out.

Blakkeyez UI rule#1: There is no such thing as too much information on screen. Except if it 1) covers other important information or 2) involves your sister, brother, mother, yourself or some weblink that I probably don't want to click.

... oh and btw dotting the Sapper is the way to go, don't listen to the loudmouths. If applied quickly enough you get the first tick during stealth and can swap to MS/MB/SW: D stuff when it appears (sure wasting some mana and a GCD but hey it's way cooler to dps the Sapper faster than some crappy Slayer that dies fast enough anyway).
    Last edited by Blakkeyez; 2012-03-02 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    This is how I have Forte setup, small bars right of char[/url]
    Sahtila, can you plese, PLEASE, make a video showing how you set your FX like that?
    The dots with the target names and only the important buff like, just like the picture?
    Im new to addons, and priest too, and im struggling to set mine.
    I followed the Oni´s tutorial to se the UI, but your setup is really cool.
    Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    I used Shadow Dot Timers for my multi dotting needs. Haven't played in a few months so i don't know if it's still supported.