Page 1 of 2
LastLast

rift lite lock xp?

So after quitting wow a few months ago, i was interested to see rift had a f2p option nowadays. I played the beta and it was ok, but i wasn't interested in playing 2 mmo's. Anyway, I got on rift lite, and my plan was to go to 19, lock xp, and then just pvp and pve i guess at the best i could in that bracket. So when i go to settings i see lock xp is greyed out. I can't post on the rift forums apparently, so I came here to ask-Can you not lock xp with a rift lite account? seems silly if you can't. Kind of loses the appeal then for me to get to 20 and pretty much have no chance in pvp, and my only option is to run the same two dungeons over and over. Really hope this isn't true, or else its back to LOTRO for me

Quote Originally Posted by ottovon View Post
    Can you not lock xp with a rift lite account? seems silly if you can't.
    Why on earth would Trion want to create a situation where paying customers are faced with hundreds and thousands of twinks created by free loaders in the first PvP bracket? There is a massive petition to remove the XP lock as it is because twinking affects PvP so much in the lower brackets. Cough up some cash if you wanna twink.

So after quitting wow a few months ago, i was interested to see rift had a f2p option nowadays. I played the beta and it was ok, but i wasn't interested in playing 2 mmo's. Anyway, I got on rift lite, and my plan was to go to 19, lock xp, and then just pvp and pve i guess at the best i could in that bracket. So when i go to settings i see lock xp is greyed out. I can't post on the rift forums apparently, so I came here to ask-Can you not lock xp with a rift lite account? seems silly if you can't. Kind of loses the appeal then for me to get to 20 and pretty much have no chance in pvp, and my only option is to run the same two dungeons over and over. Really hope this isn't true, or else its back to LOTRO for me
    The 1-20 trial is to give you a taste of the game, It's that woman standing in the food court offering bourbon chicken samples on toothpicks. You aren't meant to sate your appetite, you're supposed to try it and want more.

Your trial is already XP locked to 20. Get over it, subscribe, or get out. Stop being a leech and a PvP killjoy.

Thats a pretty cheap thing to do, and I am guessing it will get removed as a feature soon for this reason.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    The 1-20 trial is to give you a taste of the game, It's that woman standing in the food court offering bourbon chicken samples on toothpicks. You aren't meant to sate your appetite, you're supposed to try it and want more.

Your trial is already XP locked to 20. Get over it, subscribe, or get out. Stop being a leech and a PvP killjoy.

It was just a question, sorry i can't justify paying to play for games anymore when my work schedule doesn't allow it like it used to. And pvp killjoy? you have every oppurtunity to do the same thing. Besides, in games like rift and wow some people enjoy twinking. it doesn't "ruin" anything in my opinion. If you are a pvp'r, you'd level to end game, then work your way up the ladder. Or you would stop and twink. If you are pve, then you wouldn't care about twinking anyway. So how does it affect you?

And yea, i already played the beta, i know what the game is about. Being able to lock out at 19 wouldn't hurt anyone in the free trial.

I don't think the trial ends at 20. You'll just be 20 forever without a sub.

Haha, they should raise the level cap by 1 level, so you can be, forever 21. Ahahah! /nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't think the trial ends at 20. You'll just be 20 forever without a sub.
    Depending on the brackets level 20 would leave him at the "bottom end" of a bracket and would make "pwning noobs" harder. People who twink don't want to face other twinks / geared players usually, they want to gank other players in worse gear /still learning.

With the combination of over extending your free trial welcome and low level twinking - we are arguably scraping the bottom of the gaming barrel here xD

People who twink don't want to face other twinks / geared players usually, they want to gank other players in worse gear /still learning.
    I like how u generalize twinks. Most twinks begged to get xplock or another way to only face twinks, it's way more fun than 'pwn noobs'. Those twinks u speak of are a minority.

Still I think u shouldn't be able to twink in rift lite if there are no severe limitations. In the wow trial u're very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Depending on the brackets level 20 would leave him at the "bottom end" of a bracket and would make "pwning noobs" harder. People who twink don't want to face other twinks / geared players usually, they want to gank other players in worse gear /still learning.

With the combination of over extending your free trial welcome and low level twinking - we are arguably scraping the bottom of the gaming barrel here xD
    Sorry, have never twinked before, and its not for all the fun reasons you listed. In a game where there are bracket levels, of course I would want to be at the max level rather than the lowest one, its just logical. ii was looking to get the most out of my free trial, i didn't think it was that big of a deal. As stated before, i can't justify paying for a game that I dont have the time to dedicate too, so yea, i wanted to have some pvp fun, because running two dungeons over and over again would get a bit boring perhaps.

Is everyone in rift this butt hurt about the whole lock xp thing? I mean, if you dont pvp, what does it matter? and if you do, you have every oppurtunity to twink out as well? Am i missing something? is it cause you want to jump in every few levels and dont feel like getting one shotted? I have 5 maxed wow toons that were all high level pvp, never once twinked them out. when i got in a bg and there were this big scarey "twinks" big deal. I knew i was just passing through, i didn't go wine about it on and on. Jeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post

Ahh, I see. I don't PVP- had no idea. Just assumed since the OP mentioned PVP and PVE he was afraid it would end at 20. My mistake I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Blizzard pretty much proved that most twinks are more interested in pwning noobs than fighting other twinks. When they made PvP give experience, and gave the twinks an option to lock their xp, and that would cause them to go to their own twink-only BGs to fight other locked-xp people, the twinks swore up and down that they only wanted to fight those other twinks. However, when it was implemented, it was a ghost queue. Very few came to them...because they couldn't pwn noobs anymore.

So, I don't believe twinks when they say that crap anymore. If they were telling the truth, those queues would have been full of twinks wanting to kill each other. But they weren't, and the twinks are not interested in an equal fight.

Back to Rift, I really hope they keep the Lock XP feature, as I like to use it to keep myself from overleveling the storyline when questing, especially when I get a bunch of xp from a dungeon or a flurry of zone invasions. Maybe make 'Lock XP' not work in PvP?
    Exactly what you said about wow.
    Also, I have played tons of lowlvl bgs in rift, leveling in them pretty much. There aren't many people playing overall so you recognize the twinks. Most of them have one thing in common: they love attacking you when you are 21, 31, 41 well, anything under the 5ish. When you start catching up and face them again, they are really running.
    Overall I seen one or two serious twinks among quite many, that actually play to do objectives, change souls for roles needed and helping out.
    So, for most twinks it's the ganking part that appeal, it's obvious really

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Exactly what you said about wow.
    Also, I have played tons of lowlvl bgs in rift, leveling in them pretty much. There aren't many people playing overall so you recognize the twinks. Most of them have one thing in common: they love attacking you when you are 21, 31, 41 well, anything under the 5ish. When you start catching up and face them again, they are really running.
    Overall I seen one or two serious twinks among quite many, that actually play to do objectives, change souls for roles needed and helping out.
    So, for most twinks it's the ganking part that appeal, it's obvious really
    Well i guess i got my answer so there is no need to explain again to you that if you want to twink, nothing is stopping you. Ive never done it before so i guess i can't protest to your blatant generalization that everyone. who twinks does it just to "gank" noobs and "runs away when faced with equal geared players". But i can see that pvp in any game at any level will always have whiners. Thanks for the insight

Well i guess i got my answer so there is no need to explain again to you that if you want to twink, nothing is stopping you. Ive never done it before so i guess i can't protest to your blatant generalization that everyone. who twinks does it just to "gank" noobs and "runs away when faced with equal geared players". But i can see that pvp in any game at any level will always have whiners. Thanks for the insight
    So far, the biggest whine has come from someone who can't twink their character on a free account. And for the record, while nothing is stopping players from twinking, there is something stopping them from fair warfront PvP at low levels: Twinks.

Twink gameplay exists to feed on the weak. It's like forcing a fresh level 50 to face Akylios before they've ever hit a dungeon.

Deleted
    I'm just talking about my experiences. In wow it's stated, there are no battlegrounds happening when they changed for twinks only, simple as that.
    And in Rift I played a lot of warfronts while leveling up so I have seen how things are, but sure... it doesn't mean people say it's otherwise for them. Who want to confess "I dont want skill, because I have trouble performing, I want ganks so I can faceroll because I'm higher level or overgeared compared to enemies"? So, you know what I mean. I'm just giving you experiences that I bet most people who level in warfronts have seen, and if you aren't used to twinks in game you probably have a "dream vision" of what it will be like. And if you want to be one of those few who twink, do warfront objectives, boost your team because you are stronger and adapt and switch to the roles needed... well, then everyone will be happy you twink =)

I personally like the possibility that you can twink in games, even if it's just to gank people, but just be frank about it and not make it to something it's not for most people twinking. But I also think it's fair that games with subfee don't have twinking as a feature in the free trial. It's something you should be willing to pay for, and can't say Trion doesn't deserve the money either in this case =)

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Blizzard pretty much proved that most twinks are more interested in pwning noobs than fighting other twinks. When they made PvP give experience, and gave the twinks an option to lock their xp, and that would cause them to go to their own twink-only BGs to fight other locked-xp people, the twinks swore up and down that they only wanted to fight those other twinks. However, when it was implemented, it was a ghost queue. Very few came to them...because they couldn't pwn noobs anymore.

So, I don't believe twinks when they say that crap anymore. If they were telling the truth, those queues would have been full of twinks wanting to kill each other. But they weren't, and the twinks are not interested in an equal fight.

Back to Rift, I really hope they keep the Lock XP feature, as I like to use it to keep myself from overleveling the storyline when questing, especially when I get a bunch of xp from a dungeon or a flurry of zone invasions. Maybe make 'Lock XP' not work in PvP?
    Seconding this. Twinks who say they do it for the challenge of fighting other twinks are and have always been full of shit.

I don't know what all the complaining is about tbh. Play competatively at the 50 brackets.

so, wait.. i am forced to hit level 20 and get 2-shotted by level 29's (or 1-shotted by lv29 twinks) all day?.. how will i ever survive long enough to actually experience the classes in pvp?.. no.. no, no.. i'd rather just play Allods (how sad : P) while i wait for Guild Wars 2 to launch.. call me back when Lock XP isn't greyed out anymore

Call us back when you decide to pay for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riskbreaker View Post
    so, wait.. i am forced to hit level 20 and get 2-shotted by level 29's (or 1-shotted by lv29 twinks) all day?.. how will i ever survive long enough to actually experience the classes in pvp?.. no.. no, no.. i'd rather just play Allods (how sad : P) while i wait for Guild Wars 2 to launch.. call me back when Lock XP isn't greyed out anymore
    You think a pay to play mmo is going to let you lock exp so you can twink and pvp all you want? Yeah, that's a smart business move. WoW, you get to play free to 20. It's not there as a free edition, it's there as a trial starter pack. Same thing for rift. You want to really play the game? Pay for it, they aren't f2p games.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    Call us back when you decide to pay for the game.
    I do not think that is going to happen, and here's why (it should be as obvious as trial accounts needing Lock XP should be). MMORPG has been going on for almost a decade now and it is not rocket science. Now, we all know that Rift is just a somewhat upgraded version (and nicer looking, also) of an outdated system (with the exception of their class customization, which is the one thing that Rift does deserve applause for). On the other hand, if you watch all 24 Guild Wars 2 episodes on "getbonkd" Youtube channel, you see a game that is revolutionizing everything in MMORPG (and launching with 25 gigabytes of that revolutionary stuff) and uses the Buy-To-Play business model, instead of requiring you to pay monthly (even if some months you end up having not much playtime).

Taking all of that into account, and then asking me to start paying for a game that doesn't have a competent trial version is beyond logical, imo. What I wanted to do was level to 19 and lock my XP so that I would not be forced into the lv20-29 bracket (with no way to avoid gamebreaking slaughter at the hands of the hordes of lv 25 - 29's). This way, I can take the classes I am interested in, and see how they fare against other classes on an even playing field (and if someone is goofy (or bored) enough to join a lv11-19 bracket as a lv 11, how is that my mistake?). Joining, as a lv 20, to fight level 29's will render the trial account useless for the purposes of "trial". It isn't worth "trying". At most, I will experience an insignificant percentage of the capabilities of a lv19 class in pvp (due to hitting 20 too fast) and then next-to-nothing of the capabilities of a lv20 class in pvp.

It is risk vs reward, and i find the risk too high when the people running the game seem to have overlooked something as elementary as this. NOw, if the games on the horizon were only 1/4 as good as Guild Wars 2, I could be persuaded to spend a little on Rift between now and then. This, however, is the dawn of a new era : P
    Last edited by Riskbreaker; 2012-04-09 at 10:45 PM.