Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) To the outside observer (ie not goth or emo): they are both silly, most likely young kids that like to play dress up and whine

2) To the inside observer (ie goth or emo): Who cares, see #1

10+ Year Old Account
    I genuinely hope this kind of stuff leads to a "gang war" between Goths and Emos. I think the hilarity of that would quite possibly kill me. Between the Goths preemptively brooding sullenly like horny gargoyles and the Emos responding quasi-militarily with a self-cutting "Attention Bomb", I would seriously keel over from laughter.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    Emo
    Goth

Google is your friend...

Emo's just look like they are emotional. Sad, boring or otherwise without a will to live or personality. Think of someone who is prone to suicide and screams for attention by being all sad and full of selfpitty. Goths look like they are part of the Addams Family.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-02-29 at 07:07 PM.

Deleted
    To answer the question you posten in the thread title:

Emos wanna kill themselves, Goths wanna kill everyone else.

With regards to the kids outside the theatre, just ignore them. I really doubt thet have the guts to do anything.

Deleted
    Quite simply, music taste.

Both incorperate Punk Rock and have shared histories, Emo is newer (early 2000s) and it's lyrics are more expressive, emotional and confessional. Goth is older (either 70s, 80s or 90s depending on who you ask), it's music is darker, more conservative and often fantasy orientiated. Best explaination for Goth music would be "The dark stranger who hates the world but yearns for love".

Cutting yourself, being a dumbass, dress sense and expressing your personality relate to being a "Teenager".

You're quite welcome to discuss: "What's the difference between a teenager and an adult?".

10+ Year Old Account
    The Cure is first wave emo, the current emo bands are 4th/5th wave.

The thing is, the younglings probably do not know this.

I find most younglings where I live (UK) are far more tribal than we ever were (back in the mid to late 90's).

I belive they are mostly ignorant to what the music they listen to evolved from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Goths are usually happy people. Being Goth is a style.

Emos are usually sad and hate everyone else.
    This was actually the impression I was under. Goths just dress that way but are pretty much regular folks. Emos are the ones who bitch and moan about everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think both are styles influenced by music and your circle of friends. Both have potential to be positive or negative people.

The difference is one group listens to Tokio Hotel, and dresses like them.
    And the other group doesn't.

Deleted
    Emos = Omg im so sad i have to cut my ankle!
    Goths= Power to cthulhu, my lord and savior!
    That's pretty much it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So I walk down to the theatre to pick up my tickets for tonights Marilyn Manson/ Coal Chamber/ Wedensday 13 concert in Sydney.

And outside the theatre are heeps of Young EMO kids in their teens to maybe early 20s who start telling me to go away. Because of my age.

Of course they wern't to know that Im an old Goth in his late 30s who used to listen to bands like Manson, the Cure, Bauhaus etc

I Dont like the Emo attitude if they are like that.

Some of my mates are older Goths who grew up with the Dark Sound.
    Haha, I get that too... I just say 'screw 'em', crank up my favorite Nick Cave CD, and go on with my life.

As far as I see it, goth is an attitude more than a style anyway. I don't dress like Abby on NCIS the way I did when I was younger (except when I'm going out on the town), but I still love the same music, have the same friends, and I'm still the same person I ever was. I like what I like, and anybody who thinks I'm too old, too normal-looking, or whatever, can go piss up a rope.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

I was Goth in high school in the 90s, as far as I knew it involved listening to MM, Fear Factory, Cannibal Corpse, et al. Even Nine Inch Nails seemed too mainstream at the time, even though I liked Trent Reznor as a musician. I am now a lawyer in my 30s.

To me, the main difference is the source of the two genre's look/feel. As a Goth, I always felt Goths were rooted in anti-establishment sentiment, were suspicious of religion, authority, the police, etc. To me, Goth's had a lot more in common with early gangsta rap than it did with Wicca or paganism or Satanic rites or anything (though the latter was often a form of expressing said anti-establishment sentiment). Goths were anti-capitalist back when capitalism was booming, and everyone loved it with the dot com boom. Goths were more likely to be socially aware of power structures and hierarchies. Goths seemed to come from a place of internal strength.

Emos are a trend, imo. Their look, their attitude, their way of being stems from narcissism and style. They seem to come from a place of internal weakness.

Of course, I'm biased. Maybe it's because I'm old now. I have, however, yet to meet an emo who was of any substance, whereas Goths were weighty individuals, mentally, emotionally, sometimes physically :P, and went on to live mostly normal lives. Even Marilyn Manson was a weighty individual, just look at the interview he gave in Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Emo's: they are the only people that make 1 + 1 = 0 (If a mod gets that then I'm soooo infracted )
    I'm also of the opinion that goth/emo/whatever teens are primarely teens above all else, which are horrible smelly excuses for humans in large groups in the majority of cases, from my own personal observations. I would just say you ran afoul of a tyipcal group of teens who just happened to be....whatever they were in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So I walk down to the theatre to pick up my tickets for tonights Marilyn Manson/ Coal Chamber/ Wedensday 13 concert in Sydney.

And outside the theatre are heeps of Young EMO kids in their teens to maybe early 20s who start telling me to go away. Because of my age.

Of course they wern't to know that Im an old Goth in his late 30s who used to listen to bands like Manson, the Cure, Bauhaus etc

I Dont like the Emo attitude if they are like that.

Some of my mates are older Goths who grew up with the Dark Sound.
    DID they REALLY tell you to "go away"? dafauq... wtf... I'm almost speachless. How can anyone be that rude? Thy begging for an fist in the face or what?

Goths have personality.

Emos have personas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Emo kids and hot topic goths are Sheep.

Real goths are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Buhrag View Post
    Whats the problem with that? In my state, ohio, (i dont know if its different elsewhere) A sword worn visibly is completely legal, as long as it is kept in a sheathe. you cant brandish it, but its similar to having a gun in a holster. you cant draw it and threaten people, but you can keep it on you for self defense.
    OOOO BOY im so moving there when to walk around with replica swords strapped to my back