Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Disc Priest - Switching builds - Help needed

Hey guys,

I heal in our raids as disc and have been running with a haste/mst heavy build since the start of cataclysm, going for 2.1-2.0 poh/gh and then full out mst. I have seen on several occasions other priests mentioning on these forums that they have had good success with a haste/crit build.

After finally getting my heart of the unliving yesterday (required 18 kills all difficulties included :S), and hence having to reforge all my gear to ditch the extra spirit I was looking to give the haste/crit build a try and see how it works for me and my raid comp.

I was hoping for some advice on this:

1. Do i ditch all mst off my gear and solely go for haste and crit, or only a portion of it to keep some balance?
    2. How much haste should I aim for?
    3. How much crit should I aim for?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

A.

Deleted
    I'll start out by saying, that as a disc priest, pretty much everything works. You check logs, and then players armory, you will find haste/mastery prio works, haste/crit works, mastery/crit works, so as I said everything works. I started this expansion going heavy mastery/haste, for spine HC I went haste/crit, and now on madness HC i'm balancing all my stats.

That being said, it is a good idea to think about the spells you're casting and what stats benefit those the most. You can do this through simcraft fairly easily, and you'll find the following: for single target tank healing throughput (just using shields for rapture) & also for heavy PoH spam, haste > crit >> mastery. This tier has mostly been about casting a lot of PoH, there are very few fights that require shield spamming so I would go with this prio on most fights (Morchok & Yor'sahj HC being exceptions).

The only thing to watch here is that you don't cap your haste, although that's only possible on Ultraxion (with blue) and MDW (if you have Seal, which is why I reforged out of haste a little for this).

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eriel/advanced is my toon
    Last edited by mmoc053e24f82b; 2012-02-29 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halaberiel View Post
    I'll start out by saying, that as a disc priest, pretty much everything works. You check logs, and then players armory, you will find haste/mastery prio works, haste/crit works, mastery/crit works, so as I said everything works. I started this expansion going heavy mastery/haste, for spine HC I went haste/crit, and now on madness HC i'm balancing all my stats.

That being said, it is a good idea to think about the spells you're casting and what stats benefit those the most. You can do this through simcraft fairly easily, and you'll find the following: for single target tank healing throughput (just using shields for rapture) & also for heavy PoH spam, haste > crit >> mastery. This tier has mostly been about casting a lot of PoH, there are very few fights that require shield spamming so I would go with this prio on most fights (Morchok & Yor'sahj HC being exceptions).

The only thing to watch here is that you don't cap your haste, although that's only possible on Ultraxion (with blue) and MDW (if you have Seal, which is why I reforged out of haste a little for this).
    Yup yup, this is the definite impression I had too. Haste/Mst has worked very well for me until now, I just wanted to try out another build and haste/crit seemed more appealing to me than mst/crit.

Your mentioned haste capping, but in your experience with the haste/crit build, did you get your poh/gh to 2.0 and go full crit ditching all mst or did you go with even more haste? (I had a try yday and my mst was still on 31% after reforging as much as I could off). This would be before you starting balancing things for DW hc.
    Last edited by PromiscuousPenguin; 2012-02-29 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    By haste capping I meant the max you can reduce PoH cast time is to 1 second. After you reach that, stacking more haste is pointless. Outside of gimmicks though just go as much haste as possible, I think I had around 23% unbuffed before I reforged out of it recently.

EDIT: Regarding whether you go full crit or keep some mastery depends on the fight & whether you stack aegis... I would say (for HC).....
    Morchok balance (lots of shield, poh usage & aegis stacking)
    Warlord balance (I shield spam a lot after black, if you don't & the raid is stacked then go haste/crit)
    Yor'sahj balance but favouring crit/haste (aegis stacking & shields are great)
    Hagara depends if you shield spam, I tend to a lot on this fight
    Ultraxion crit/haste all the way unless you get blue in which case mastery/crit favouring crit
    Warmaster balance but favouring crit/haste
    Spine crit/haste all the way (very little shield usage & atonement is amazing)
    MDW balance (haste problems as above & larger aegis is useful for mitigating crush dmg)
    Last edited by mmoc053e24f82b; 2012-02-29 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well ty for taking the time Hala, I think that covers my current uncertainties..:-)

I'm looking forward to giving it a test this week!