Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Faults with our spriest?

Heya peeps.
    So there is an issue we have with our spriest.... me and him just joined a new guild who are currently 5/8 hc, and we had a chance to trial to that group. However, they were not happy with the shadow priests performance since he was way down in both dps and damage. He did know all tacts and important stuff, but his performance was what they would've liked it to be.

So I was wondering if you can, from the logs I'll be posting the link to, see what it is he is doing wrong, and if possible give any helpful hints at what he can do to improve. (We only did a few tries on warmaster hc and did the rest normal btw, and today is his final chance to improve)

I thank you for all your help.
    Link to logs: reports/mzgcrr1pl23w9dzp/sum/damageDone (I can't link any logs so just put the WOL url infront of the rest of the text)
    Name: Pillze

His up times on all dots are horrendous. It's that simple.

At first glance a very low dot uptime. Even on Madness it's only 75% on average.
    Not nearly high enough. Should be high 80's begin 90's. Poor use of DA.
    I take it multidotting is not a given for him/her judging by the very low amount of ticks.

Will check it our more in depth but that's a very big workingfield tbh.

Mind Blast is not cast on cooldown for sure. Only 42 casts on Madness, 18 on Warmaster.

If it were me and I was RL I would put him on the dummy to perfect his rotation/reactions since it's poor
    Last edited by Karei; 2012-02-29 at 03:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So that's all? Hahahahaha I've been beating myself up trying to see what his problems were... Any other tips regarding cooldowns or addons that can help him? and useful tips on how he can manage how to keep his dots up? I've been advicing him to use classtimer before the raid, but it seems they didn't help or he didn't take care to notice them...
    And again, thanks for the help : really appreciate it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teru View Post
    His up times on all dots are horrendous. It's that simple.
    This. I only looked at your Madness kill since out of the 3 fights its the easiest to gauge actual dps.

Also his empowered shadow up-time is low.

I haven't played shadow since BWD so i might be wrong but he should cast Mind blast even if he doesn't have 3 orbs since his dots "should" be doing more damage. If his up-time was higher then 73.5% and 70.6%

Quote Originally Posted by Isoge View Post
    So that's all? Hahahahaha I've been beating myself up trying to see what his problems were... Any other tips regarding cooldowns or addons that can help him? and useful tips on how he can manage how to keep his dots up? I've been advicing him to use classtimer before the raid, but it seems they didn't help or he didn't take care to notice them...
    And again, thanks for the help : really appreciate it
    For addons i use inline aura it puts a timer on his DoT buttons on his bars.
    Last edited by dawawe; 2012-02-29 at 03:18 PM.

Forte is all you really need to be efficient. It allows you to effectively show all possible buffs you can gain: Evangelism stakcs, Orbs, procs plus it has an elaborate dottimer.

If forte isn't to his liking I'd suggest PowerAuras and Dotimer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    Forte is all you really need to be efficient. It allows you to effectively show all possible buffs you can gain: Evangelism stakcs, Orbs, procs plus it has an elaborate dottimer.

If forte isn't to his liking I'd suggest PowerAuras and Dotimer
    i find forte to get too cluttery sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you guys for all your help. Hopefully, when I show him this thread, he will take this into account before we go raiding. And once again, thanks. I really appreciate it

For my SP I personally prefer to use the Tidy Plates widgets to track dot timers across multiple targets. Just find something you're comfortable with and start dotting everything you see.

The fight took (10*60)+53=653 sec the cooldown on mind blast is 6.5 sec that means he could fit in almost 100 mind blast he did less than half of that. Tell him to mind blast more also as mentioned before his uptime on dots is really low even for madness

Also by the looks of it, it seems he was only in shadow form 79.1% of the time, I dont know if thats a bug or he was fooling around doing healers job for god knows why?
    Last edited by Maricius; 2012-02-29 at 03:25 PM.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tarren+Mill&cn=Maricius
    "You learn most from playing against people that beat you"

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    i find forte to get too cluttery sometimes.
    I'm not forcing my flavour
    Forte has been doing the job for me but obviously it's a thing of preference

shadowtimers... his dot uptime as mentioned is low, i think a good addon would sort this and my fav is shadowtimers tho ive always wanted to set up tidyplates too..

NeedToKnow is a good addon to keep track on your dots imo, ill use it on my shadowpriest alt combined with powerauras.

All of these addon suggestions are probably fine, but there's really never more than like 4 things to keep DoTs up on (except trash). I perform just fine (i.e beat better geared people all the time) on my spriest alt without any DoT tracking addons. Once you do it for a while, you just know when its time to refresh DoTs...

Deleted
    i play a spriest myself, and i wonder if he ever heard of SW: Death, appears not.. Uptime of DOTS already mentioned as well MB, dont know but if 4 pc T13 should be available, the MS/MB rotation comes into consideration as well to squeeze more DPS than 27K overall these 3 bosses, 34k on madness is really bad, i dont think this player will help your guild, sry
    Last edited by mmoca5ba36b6e2; 2012-02-29 at 03:48 PM.

It's almost like he's new at playing Shadow (having swapped from healing.)

He has 4p T13, yet between the 2 kills, the total usage of:
    Mind Spike - 3
    SW: Death - 4

He is missing a couple of caster buffs in a caster unfriendly group, but still his damage is well below what his gear and this group makeup should be giving him. No need to mentioned his dot uptimes and usage of Mind Blast again.

TBH, too many issues to get fixed by today last try with the guild.

^^^^This basically.

The problems your friend is encountering is almost as if he bought the character and is only familiar with some general concepts of it. Not to sound like a D-bag or anything but his uptimes are horrible, his MB usage is horrible, if he has 4 piece he is not even using Mind spike opener. No usage of Shadow Word: Death under 25% health. There are so many problems that I do not see him fixing all of them in one day. Tell him to read all of Kilee's Shadow Guide from the beginning to absolute end because he really is confused imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heya guys... back from the raid... and basically, it went better this time. But he still did screw up some on ultraxion for example, and some of the tries on hagara..... and the boat went to hell on some fights.... and well, the reason he does this crappy dps is that he was healer to begin with, just gone shadow to be able to apply to the guild with me ^.^

(worldoflogs url) /reports/pfqagbr5fid2jqie/sum/damageDone/

And of course, thanks for the replies, they were really helpful.

Deleted
    Seems to be alright in my opinion