Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Multi-doting dead in MoP ?

Malefic grasp deals damage and causes the dots on it's target to tick 100% faster. It's kind of like haunt and shadow embrace (which will be gone in MoP), but malefic grasp causes your dots to do 100% more dps while SE and haunt causes your dots to do 35% more dps. And your dots will obviously be balanced around malefic grasp, so your dots will do about 50% less damage than they do now... They wouldn't have to nerf your dots if malefic grasp itself did no damage at all, but it looks like it will do about the same dps as shadow bolt. so multi doting is pretty much a waste of time in MoP.
    Last edited by nameuser; 2012-03-02 at 11:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    Malefic grasp deals damage and causes the dots on it's target to tick 100% faster. It's kind of like haunt and shadow embrace (which will be gone in MoP), but malefic grasp causes your dots to do 100% more dps while SE and haunt causes your dots to do 35% more dps. And your dots will obviously be balanced around malefic grasp, so your dots will do about 65% less damage than they do now... They wouldn't have to nerf your dots if malefic grasp itself did no damage at all, but it looks like it will do about the same dps as shadow bolt. so multi doting is pretty much a waste of time in MoP.
    Until a PTR/other tangible testing grounds are released, we have no clue how individual spells will compare to current ones (in terms of raw damage), especially since we cant give accurate scaling based on gear & level. Regarding multi dotting though, yeah base damage will probably be less than current numbers but done forget that Shadows Embrace will cause your MG to cause a 9second debuff on the target to provide its 100% increased tick speed - so if you use the instant MGs on your focus/multi-dot targets you could effectively do even more than current multi dotting... again - nothing is set in stone yet and we wont really know for sure until PTR is released... and even then it will probably change again!

If the damage per cast time of a DoT without MG is higher than the DpCT of a filler spell multi-doting will still be viable.

Just the same reasoning behind multi-doting there is now. Unless there are numbers to compare it's all just speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine they do want to tone it down, because multidotting is a large part as to why Melee have been underperforming relative to casters this expansion. SPriests (and I think Moonkin also) received a redistribution of their damage earlier this expansion for this reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    For one, I'm assuming that Malefic Grasp is meant to get rid of the slow ramp up time that Affliction currently has i.e. you need 2 Shadow Bolts and a Haunt before your dots start doing damage.

You are correct however in that they are trying to reduce the obvious advantage Spriests, Boomkins, and Warlocks have over other classes in a multi target environment. Malefic Grasp isn't the only way they are doing this though.

-Affliction, BoA will have the same target limit as BoD currently does, reducing our overall amount of dots we can have on multiple targets.
    -Demo, they are taking away Immolate, and BoD still has the target limit.
    -Destro, they are taking away BoA, BoD and Corruption.
    -Balance Druids, Insect Swarm will increase the Druids damage on the target by X%, with a target limit of 1, leaving them with only Sunfire/Moonfire. You will however be able to have both on a target at the same time now.
    -SPriests lose Devouring Plague, which confuses me since that was their target limit dot. They still retain SW:P and VT, however we do not have any information on how shadow orbs will work in MoP, so we'll see how this pans out.

Something to keep in mind though, is that until we know the actual spell values we can't know for sure if multi dotting will be weaker. Affliction for example, already has Haunt and Shadow Embrace that they need to keep up on a target if they want to do full dot damage. This hasn't stopped Affliction from still being a great multi dot spec though, so if Malefic Grasp has the same overall damage effect of the combination of Haunt and Shadow Embrace, we might not lose any multi dotting at all. If anything, we'll probably do more, because they have to change the Fel Hunter Shadow Bite mechanic. Since they want every pet to do equal damage just like hunter pets, with the individual pets just filling different utility roles, all pets will ideally do the same amount of base damage. Shadow Bite can't be OP the way it is now, because it has to be on par with pets like the Imp, Voidwalker, and Succy so expect an overall decrease in pet damage from Afflic and Destro.

Deleted
    -Affliction, BoA will have the same target limit as BoD currently does, reducing our overall amount of dots we can have on multiple targets.
    Has this officially been confirmed yet? because I can not see a single reference to it in calculators or patch notes, the only place i've seen it being mentioned is via hearsay on these forums.

OT: I hope they do tone down multi dotting, it's the major factor as to why affliction is performing poorly vs anything where ramp up time is required, and 1v1 in pvp.

From what I saw its seems they are gona kill it, its a clear indicate with malefic grasp mechanic and BOA 1target only.

And they are killing one of the reasons aff is fun

10+ Year Old Account
    I would imagine that you would still multidot in MoP, however I also think that blizzard is making the damage increase from being able to do so far less then it is currently. Instead of a dot doing three to four times the amount of a filler spell it would prolly do 1.25x to 1.5x as much. Still a dps increase, but far less of one.

You do realize that by implementing Malefic Grasp Blizzard is fixing affliction in PvP right? As Zinnin said, it will be a DPS increase, but not as much as it currently is. This would make affliction better in PvP outside of 3v3, where it puts out immense pressure.
    I greet this change with open arms.

The overall tone is definitely aimed at toning multidot down, but it will still exist while all our dots aren't max(1) and have a higher dpct than the filler.

ie, if malefic 100% tick on dots + damage done per gcd (half a tick of UA+corr + coa (the gain by channelling) + ~1 ticks of malefic) is greater than 5 ticks of corr / UA, multidot would be a loss - ignoring haste and different values during movement. I would be extremely surprised if that were the case - Assuming boa is somewhere close to corr/ua dps, and malefic (dps) must be lower, or you wouldn't cast dots at all.

tl;dr, skillcap to multidot many targets goes down, but multidotting won't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post
    Has this officially been confirmed yet? because I can not see a single reference to it in calculators or patch notes, the only place i've seen it being mentioned is via hearsay on these forums.

OT: I hope they do tone down multi dotting, it's the major factor as to why affliction is performing poorly vs anything where ramp up time is required, and 1v1 in pvp.
    It does state the 1 target limit on BoA on the current talent calculator.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say dead, but definitely getting toned down. For example boomkin's Insect Swarm is no longer a DoT but a debuff that increases damage taken by 25% (I think, not really sure about the exact number out of the top of my head) thus decreasing the value of DoTs on non-main targets since Insect Swarm can be applied to only one target at a time.

It seems to be prioritising our multi-dotting rather than simply to reduce numbers.
    The substantial effect of Maelfic Grasp would seem to make up the damage, and also to an extent maintaining a core mechanism we have already while at the same time enhancing it.
    We currently still have the need to prioritise a single target with Haunt, so why would people call out that the limitation of BoA to a single target be the result of some nerfing or toning down when it is mirroring in playstyle a mechanism that would otherwise be lost.
    Until we have solid information like numbers we can be sure of then we can't make any judgements on how our damage will be effected, only educated guesses with limited information on how we go about doing the damage, not the amount of it we will be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    It does state the 1 target limit on BoA on the current talent calculator.
    Yeah, but we get malady. And we'll still have UA and corruption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Yeah, but we get malady. And we'll still have UA and corruption.
    Malady changes to Corruption for Aff and Demo, and to Immolate for Destro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Malady changes to Corruption for Aff and Demo, and to Immolate for Destro.
    Seeing as we're talking about that right now, do you think Fel Flame will refresh immolate seeing as it replaces Malady?

Warlock multi-dotting will be dead. Boomkin multi-dotting will be nerfed slightly. SPreist multi-dotting will still be alive and well.

I imagine affliction will feel VERY much like spriests in MoP, since we will have a channeled filler spell, BoA will work the same way devouring plague does now, and we lose haunt. 1 channeled filler spell, 1 cast time dot, 1 instant dot, and 1 dot limited to 1 target. just like spriests. Lame.

It's good that we lose the ramp up, but now we will be exactly like spriests. Whats the point of having 2 specs that feel exactly the same
    Also it will be so dumbed down that it will be increadibly boring to play.

Also to me it seems like they are BUFFING spriest multi doting since they are removing devouring plague. They will probably buff VT and SWP to compensate.
    Last edited by nameuser; 2012-03-01 at 03:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfariessence View Post
    Warlock multi-dotting will be dead. Boomkin multi-dotting will be nerfed slightly. SPreist multi-dotting will still be alive and well.
    Listen to this guy, He clearly knows his stuff. Just the pure amount of factual evidence to back this up is mindblowing!

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, we need more facts. The forums are filled with speculations based on what is equivalent to the Blurb on the back of a book.

No reason to get upset about anything yet.