Know how to fix a computer stuck in a update loop?

Anyone know how to fix a computer stuck in a update loop? It says "Configuring updates. Step 3 of 3. Please do not turn off your computer." Then shuts down right after it. I left it running for a day in this loop and it hasn't figured itself out =/

Also I can no longer recover the computer, even though I have multiple recovery partitions from different dates. Instead it gives me recovery manager error: 0x4001100200000100A.

Safe mode doesnt work because the update screen happens also in safe mode.
    Boot loggign doesn't fix anything; Last known good config doesn't fix anything; directory services restore mode doesn't fix anything. I've also ran hardware diagnostic tests and that also came up with a clean bill of health D:

All of this started from accidentally hitting the restart button (which causes the computer to auto update.) I've always tried avoiding most updates from MS (except drivers) because they were either bugged out or were just pointless security crap that my Anti Virus could do a better job at.
    I'm considering just buying Windows7 and nuking Vista since I have no other options.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-02-29 at 04:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chances are your machine was doing a boot patch... and you turned it off before it was complete... in which case if you can't boot to safe mode a re-install might be required. Have you tried booting to safe mode and leaving it running for a couple of hours?

Also anti-virus software works under the assumption that your OS has all the security patches released prior to it's last patch. No company is going to spend time fighting something that attacks a vulnerability that no longer exists.

I've also noticed that people who have problems with Windows Updates are typically those who don't apply the updates when they become available. (or use their computer so infrequently that they have to apply multiple updates or patch(s) every time they turn it on.) A lot of peoples computers I've recently "fixed" still didn't have Office Service Pack 1 etc..

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I was stuck in that sort of loop I was trying to apply multiple updates at the same time, more specifically SP1 for windows 7 and any other update. The only way I had to fix that would be to system restore back to before that attempted update and install SP1 only.

Although your issue is with Vista which could be entirely a different issue.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Chances are your machine was doing a boot patch... and you turned it off before it was complete... in which case if you can't boot to safe mode a re-install might be required. Have you tried booting to safe mode and leaving it running for a couple of hours?
    I haven't left it in safe mode for hours because it auto shuts off a few seconds after the update then turns itself back on. Since it turned off properly it boots under a normal load.

Question, If I buy Windows 7 and just wipe Vista off, will there be problems with updating from the service pack 1?

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    The last time I was stuck in that sort of loop I was trying to apply multiple updates at the same time, more specifically SP1 for windows 7 and any other update. The only way I had to fix that would be to system restore back to before that attempted update and install SP1 only.

Although your issue is with Vista which could be entirely a different issue.
    I would restore the system, but the restore points are not working for me, I also don't have data backed up on separate disks :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    I haven't left it in safe mode for hours because it auto shuts off a few seconds after the update then turns itself back on. Since it turned off properly it boots under a normal load.

Question, If I buy Windows 7 and just wipe Vista off, will there be problems with updating from the service pack 1?[COLOR="red"]
    So problem solved?

Shouldn't do... provided you don't kill the update prematurely again.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    So problem solved?

Shouldn't do... provided you don't kill the update prematurely again.
    No problems solved. I haven't yet bought Windows 7 and I never killed the update prematurely. I do plan on buying Win7 this weekend, thats if the store has the model I want. Im looking for the 64 bit version that re installs everything. Not the update version.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    No problems solved. I haven't yet bought Windows 7 and I never killed the update prematurely. I do plan on buying Win7 this weekend, thats if the store has the model I want. Im looking for the 64 bit version that re installs everything. Not the update version.
    Probably have to just get it at Best Buy or Office Depot/Max. Wal-mart usually only carries upgrade versions.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Probably have to just get it at Best Buy or Office Depot/Max. Wal-mart usually only carries upgrade versions.
    Great... The only store in the boons is wall-mart D':