Poll: How many days do you run/jog per week.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How many days do you run/jog?

So i was having a conversation with a fellow friend who is also a runner and we got into a discussion about the amount of days that one should run in one week. the question runners

- How many days a week do you run?

- yes i do realize mileage has an effect on this but that would make this poll way to complicated.

I think probably around 4-5 days a week. I think you could go for a light jog daily and it wouldn't impact your joints greatly, but for serious running a few days off a week would be best. I ran track in high school and we had practice mon-sat, but a couple of those days were pretty light workouts. The runner's experience will also impact how many days a week they could/should run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run 4-5 miles 3 times a week. Then again I do weights 3 times a week alternating days. Important to give your muscles time to recover from being stressed like that, don't want to pull anything.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't jog, however I do walk to school and back which is about a 1 mile each way. Takes me about 30-40 minutes depending on the traffic.(I have to cross a 6 lane road)

10+ Year Old Account
    what is this jogging (yogging) you speak of?

-before I get infracted. this is an Anchorman movie reference.

10 miles a day. Every day. I also do a strict calisthetics routine and lift weights while in Queue for dungeons and raids. I'm probably one of the only VERY physically fit basement dwellers out there.

I really only do a big distance run once a week (~15k run). If the weather is nice, I may run 2 more times during the week (shorter -- 5k maybe).

Otherwise I much prefer a mild weight lifting regiment + yoga.

I mostly still run because it's good for my heart + in case I want to take part in a charity run or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    5-7 miles, 7 days a week (when not in season/doing a race/other physical activity)
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Five days a week. Use to try and get seven days of running in but that's just such a pain in the ass it's not even worth it.

I ran Cross Country in highschool, stopped for a long long time and recently tried to get back into it but only found myself injured. Taking time off now while working with doctors. What i thought was an old injury thats been plaguing me is turning out to be rheumatoid arthritis or lupus(highly unlikely but no tests to rule it out yet). I hope to get back to running though
    "Mitt Romney is a lot like the band Nickelback. They sell a lot of records but I don’t know anybody that has one."

0 - that's how many I run.
    I don't know how much you should run, I read in some sort of men's health magazine that weight-exercises have all the benefits of cardiovascular plus the benefits last longer (if you stop exercising for a while) ... I don't remember why offhand.

well i walk 30mins once a week, i hate jogging in the snow you know, canada.but in sumer i would take my bike sometime 1h and 30mins of biking on shitty roads.

I should really run more often. Maybe 1-3 times a week depending on how the weather is doing, from just around the block to maybe a 1/2 mile.

Not in the best shape, I tend to just take short walks to get away from it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Why run you'll only die tired?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Why run you'll only die tired?
    It's good for your heart.

You could reverse that and say, why shouldn't you run? Don't you want to live longer?

The poll should actually ask how long does everyone run.

ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) recommends at least 20 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity (60-80% of age predicted heart rate max) (Predicted HR max is the simple equation 220-age) on at least 3-5 days a week for many populations.

Of course this is a recommendation and more physical exercise is always better.

For more athletic individuals who have already been running for long periods of time for the last 3-4 months you can always increase the time spent running and increase the number of days spent running.

If you are looking for a better exercise prescription I suggest getting one from a trainer, each person is different in terms of their Vo2 capacity, HR and so on.

If you need more info about exercise let me know. Going to school and majoring in Exercise Physiology to become a PT. Graduate this summer.
    Last edited by Judgement27; 2012-03-01 at 06:17 AM.

Deleted
    Well, technically I run home from the gym four days per week. But it's not a very long run (definitely less than 15 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by anywherenotes View Post
    0 - that's how many I run.
    I don't know how much you should run, I read in some sort of men's health magazine that weight-exercises have all the benefits of cardiovascular plus the benefits last longer (if you stop exercising for a while) ... I don't remember why offhand.
    That is actually partially true, but not completely. The only way you will gain the same effects during weight training is if the individual is continuously performing an exercise such as doing biceps curls for say 12 reps then moving to triceps dips as soon as you are finished, then moving to lat pull down directly after. Even doing this will not give as much of a cardiovascular benefit because you end up having more down time in between the exercises.

Most articles in magazines are 80-90% of the time incorrect, unless they have an actual verifiable source such as a peer-reviewed paper from an established organization.

I either jog/run/sprint to class every single morning during weekdays

3-5 days for me; I go to the gym as regularly as possible (near every other day with some rest days). The level varies depending on how I'm feeling and goals at the time - I'm in okay shape, trying to build a little more fitness at the moment so quite a bit of high intensity interval training but other times more light running leading into other gym workouts.