Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Guardian spirit from your holy priest will allow someone to live without popping a single cooldown.

  2. #22
    I soak it with our prot paladin on 10m Heroic. AMZ + AMS + Blood pres + paladins shield wall

  3. #23
    Thnx for all the tips/feedback/help, we got em. The Hunter/Mage combo to start was a big help.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    HoT hits for 270k now
    270*.8 = 216k
    Ams absorbs up to 50% of your hp.
    You'd need minimum 144k max hp to survive at full health. You should easily have more than that if you are doing DS heroics.
    Due to Magic Suppression, your AMS should actually soak considerably more than 50% of max health (whether it's (50+25)% or (50*1.25)% I don't actually know). So basically with IBF+AMS you should need even less than 144k max health.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Due to Magic Suppression, your AMS should actually soak considerably more than 50% of max health (whether it's (50+25)% or (50*1.25)% I don't actually know). So basically with IBF+AMS you should need even less than 144k max health.
    That isn't how the talent works, with magic suppression you take zero magic damage with AMS up, but still up to a total of 50% of your max life.

  6. #26
    When I was doing the fight as a low geared frost dk, I was also having trouble surviving with AMS and IF up. When I was at completely full health I would survive with 5-10% left, when I wasn't I died. After a while I figured army also has a defensive component of about 20% reduction. it is a long cooldown and because of that cannot always be used but it is a neat little trick to get out of a tight situation.

  7. #27
    AMS+IBF should be enough, as mentioned, but you will barely scrape by; it also means you cannot soak 2 hours, as the second hour will be 2 minutes and 15 seconds after you soak, and IBF is a 3 minute cooldown. However, you can soak with an external cooldown. I regularly soak with my group, but I get safeguarded, I hit AMS, and I hit AMZ.

    One thing not mentioned in this thread, though, is that AMZ WILL NOT absorb 75% of the hour of twilight. For every single other high damage one shot spell damage mechanic in cataclysm, AMZ has absorbed 75% of the damage(Nefarian Crackle, Maloriak Breath, Sinestra Breath, Blackhorn Onslaught, Madness Bolt, etc) it always absorbs 75% of the damage. However, for hour of twilight, it will not absorb 75% of the damage; probably to prevent making the fight very easy, as every single person could soak then with just an AMZ.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadinar View Post
    One thing not mentioned in this thread, though, is that AMZ WILL NOT absorb 75% of the hour of twilight. For every single other high damage one shot spell damage mechanic in cataclysm, AMZ has absorbed 75% of the damage(Nefarian Crackle, Maloriak Breath, Sinestra Breath, Blackhorn Onslaught, Madness Bolt, etc) it always absorbs 75% of the damage. However, for hour of twilight, it will not absorb 75% of the damage; probably to prevent making the fight very easy, as every single person could soak then with just an AMZ.
    ....
    Just read the tooltip of AMS/AMZ - both abilities have a fairly low absorption cap that is far below the damage HoT does (300k compared to less than 100k on any of the other abilities you mentioned)
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    ....
    Just read the tooltip of AMS/AMZ - both abilities have a fairly low absorption cap that is far below the damage HoT does (300k compared to less than 100k on any of the other abilities you mentioned)
    It was/is a bug for aoe skills that cause it to absorb the max amount for every target affected if they took the damage at the excact same time.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorimli View Post
    It was/is a bug for aoe skills that cause it to absorb the max amount for every target affected if they took the damage at the excact same time.
    Still doesn't help much if the damage taken is way over the cap >_>
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  11. #31
    Our Dk is surving this perfectly fine with IBF and AMS. I suspect him switching weapon tho to get the magical damage reduction aswel.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    ....
    Just read the tooltip of AMS/AMZ - both abilities have a fairly low absorption cap that is far below the damage HoT does (300k compared to less than 100k on any of the other abilities you mentioned)
    All those other abilities were ALSO above the damage cap; for every other single hit mechanic in the game, AMZ works a certain way, I'm simply alerting the OP to the fact that you can't assume AMZ will work the way it does for every single other single shot mechanic in the game. He mentioned using it for another group, and if that group was assuming that AMZ will absorb 75% of the damage(because it does absorb 75% of the damage for high damage single attacks above the tooltip cap) it will not work for hour of twilight. Whether it is a bug or intended gameplay functionality is irrelevant, because on Madness, AMZ works to absorb 75% of the Elementium Bolt Impact, and the same with the Twilight Onslaught on Blackhorn. In the very same instance AMZ absorbs far more than its tooltip says it can because of the way the mechanic has functioned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •